Office 2010 scheduled for June release

By on November 30, 2009, 10:33 AM
Microsoft has already said it hopes to deliver the final version of Office 2010 in the first half of next year, but the folks over at Neowin apparently have it on good authority that the software giant is right on track for a June launch. As many as six different flavors will be offered to customers, including the limited-functionality Starter edition, which will feature free, ad-supported versions of Word and Excel.

Microsoft's latest productivity suite will also be offered in Home and Student, Home and Business, Standard, Professional and Professional Plus editions. No official pricing for the full or upgrade versions of Office 2010 has been announced yet. Additionally the company will make Office Web freely available to anyone with a Live account, and plans to launch Office 2010 for Mac OS X sometime next year.

In the meantime, Windows users can get a glimpse at the suite's newest features by downloading the Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Plus beta here.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Some friends are testing the beta of office 2010 and it looks nice, haven't played with it, nor seen any function differences, but it still looks nice.

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Lots of interesting new bells and whistles, for sure. I tinkered a bit, and found I like the layout and some of the command placements much better. I hated when they changed over (2007 version I think?) and moved everything around, it became a nightmare to hunt through and find some very simple and common commands. Looks like somebody was listening to some user feedback with the 2010 version.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Vrmithrax said:

This is just rejection to change, and a lot of people has this. I found 2007 version quite a charm, loved the whole icon placement making the taskbar go away.

It's just a matter of likes.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I like the idea of an ad-supported versions of Word and Excel. I work in a print shop, and a lot of people bring in very obnoxious formats (I hate Broderbund and all their pain the butt Print Shop programs >_< , but maybe with a free version of Word and Excel I can get more people to use that, and make it easier for us to open.

AbsolutGaloot said:

I was not a fan of the change to the ribbon-style menu, far too kludgey for me. It will be very interesting to see how well they've changed it up. If it's anything like Win7 is to Vista, I may end up surprised. Until then, however, OpenOffice all the way

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

TorturedChaos said:

I like the idea of an ad-supported versions of Word and Excel. I work in a print shop, and a lot of people bring in very obnoxious formats (I hate Broderbund and all their pain the butt Print Shop programs >_< ), but maybe with a free version of Word and Excel I can get more people to use that, and make it easier for us to open.

it cut off 1/2 my post for some reason :P.

Moltar said:

Office 2010 seems like a cross between the pre-2005 roll outs and the office 2007. Hopefully it is enough to keep both parties happy, the ones that liked 2007's ribbon layout and the ones that didn't care for it.

harby said:

Actually I'm more excited about the free web-based version.

wcbert said:

Microsoft Office is a dinosaur waiting to become extinct.

Most of my correspondence is using emails and on my Blackberry. I work for a large corporation, hardly use at work Word and use Excel for reports and graphs. I bought the last version of Office for my home PC and again many of the features I do not need or use. So it will be the last version.

Even Outlook is getting old and I use it everyday. I find gmail can do what I need to do and it is free.

I will not spend a dime anymore on MS Office.

Bill

Fada said:

iv seen some videos of office 2010, it looks pretty cool! although lets be honest, 99% would still be happy using office 98!

rgdot said:

If Open Office and the like keep improving it will be ever more challenging fro Office. I haven't been able to try the beta but from what I have seen or read MS might be in for very positive reviews ala Win7

Puiu Puiu said:

With so many versions i'm sure that people will be very confused about which one to buy. They made win7 simple enough, why not make office too? 6 versions is too much. 3 or 4 would have done the trick.

Styl said:

I have Office 2007, but rarely have any use for it. Open Office is my #1 choice. Guess we'll have to wait and see what Office 2010 is like.

swilllx2p said:

It's kind of funny to me because where I work we just now got the ok to roll out Office2k7. I wonder how many years it'll be until we actually begin putting Office 2010 to use. But I really wish we'd of just held off longer and put the money to office 2010 come summer. They should only release 2 versions imo, paid and ad-supported..nothing else.

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

not bad, but i think this time i'll go with the live account free version

cheers!

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

I am getting really tired of Microsoft's "editions" of software. Technology is already complicated enough, and this kind of thing makes project planning that much more difficult, and poor decisions have yet another consequence. I don't think that there should be a single version by any means, but when paying for a piece of software that continually changes the way it's setup dramatically, it makes a full version free alternative that much more attractive.

drasho said:

Looks pretty good, im using 2007 and i like the changes from 2003. I didnt use 2010 but it looks similar so ill probably like it =)

UglyChild said:

Any price estimates yet??

fref said:

Once again, too many versions. The ad-supported version might be interesting, though, depending on how it's implemented. I personally don't mind seeing an ad once in a while if it doesn't cover half the screen.

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

@kibaruk, very true about the reaction to change, it's hard to go to something new when you've had years the old way (the whole "teaching an old dog new tricks" addage, perhaps). But some of the ways they buried common functions when they did the big changeover just baffled me... And baffled many users, you should have seen the uproar! heh. It was a little bit like the ones in charge of the user interface were only very light users, so the interface was geared that way, but the real meat of the customer base for Office tend to be more power users.

In any event, the 2010 version really seems to have a good balance of ease of use and quick accessibility to power features. A nice package, which it has to be to make it worthy of the hefty pricetag usually associated with Office. So many groups I personally know are going to OpenOffice, I've got to wonder how widespread that is, and if it is a little worrisome for the Microsoft juggernaut.

Serag said:

Good news, I hope the free web version is set to lunch in the same time as well

manintech said:

Thanks to google, otherwise microsoft won't make a free web version

IvanAwfulitch IvanAwfulitch said:

^^^^ I whole-heartedly agree. If it weren't for OpenOffice, Microsoft would still charge all of us out the butt for something like this. A suite like that would easily go for 100 bucks or more. When Google has started causing Microsoft heartache, you know that times have changed.

Timonius Timonius said:

Microsoft, ONE version, ONE price! Are you listening?!? <goes back to writing business report on Open Office>

BlackIrish said:

I've tried some preview version that was available - it worked good and looked better than Office 2007, but dunno if it's worth the upgrade.

The 2007 edition works just as good.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

@Vrmithrax: I even use O2007 in "full screen mode" without the toolbars, put everything I need on the title bar and plus the right click floating menu that appears I have everything at hand and lots of free screen =)

It's just a matter of customizing the UI. Although I do hope this version kicks arse.

To that only one who says office is a dinosaur waiting for extinction, it really made my day :P When people stop ussing office people will stop using windows.

kimsland, Ex-TechSpotter, said:

Really?

Oh well, when I stated the same thing. EXACTLY ONE WEEK AGO, I must have just been ignored or something?

RTM is Expected in June/July 2010

Thanks to the folks (ie ME) at TechSpot, that found this out already

I wonder if Neowin found my post and copied it?

Obviously me having 1700 posts over at Neowin doesn't make them respect me at all

Although I would like that STAFF here at TechSpot would give me a mention every now and then

Oh well, why do I bother

ken777 said:

I'm using Office 2007 now and downloaded the 2010 beta to try out. Looks a little nicer, but didn't really seem all that different from Office 2007. Decided to switch back and stick with 2007 for now.

tengeta tengeta said:

I barely even use office programs that much these days, but 2007 will likely be my suite for a while.

Razerblade said:

I have been running the Beta for some time now and I haven't noticed a huge difference between 2007 and 2010. The only major difference is Outlook now has the Ribbon Bar. I'm not sure i will be paying money for this upgrade as there are no real improvements!

yorro said:

I've been using 2010 for quite some time now, they really improved a lot. You guys should read the improvements on 2010 before making your insults and judgements

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Timonius said:

Heh... I think you forgot who you are trying to convince... Remember the big confusion debacle when Vista came out and had so many weird variations that it was giving consumers aneurisms trying to figure it all out? Hey, new Windows coming out, the MUST have learned from that and simplified the whole thing, right? Right??? (Is it just my imagination, or are there actually MORE variations of Windows 7 than there were Vista?)

The "One Version" philosophy only works in a company that doesn't put profit ahead of all else, because there are too many upgrade options and ways to nickel and dime their customers to death when there is a convoluted mess of a bazillion different levels of the same product. MS will never simplify and streamline, there's less money to be made from that.

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

No real anticipation here. The only MS "office" products that i am stuck using right now are Project and Visio for work. Other then that i use OpenOffice at work and home. I don't have a problem with Office as it is a good & powerfull product , just Microsoft's draconian licensing practices that are straight from my Microeconomics text book on how to get the most money out of people by playing the supply/demand curve.

bugejakurt said:

I've tried Office 2010 Beta 64 Bit. Quite some interesting updates, but almost the same as previous versions of Office. Not a major change to invest money on.

Heretic said:

Pffffft OpenOffice is the way to go. Screw MS.

Nirkon said:

I think its a step in the right direction in terms of the starter edition,

but im not sure in terms of what is free, that it beats open office...

Se7enVII said:

I've been using the beta and before that I used the technical preview. I am highly impressed with 2010 -- native 64 bit is nice. Office 2010 also seems to load faster than previous versions and I like the consistency in the UI now. The auto-expand/collapse features are also welcomed features.

claycc said:

I am still running Office 03 on my machines. It is hard to want to upgrade when it does everything I need it to do. It is interesting that they will have a free version. I wonder how it will compare to Open Office.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

One of the most notorious things between 2003-2007 is the file format size changes, this is really one of the things that made 2007 a must improvement on companies.

vangrat said:

Is it sad that I know organisations that are still using office 2000...

buttus said:

Microsoft is really flying along and hitting their targeted commitments for both Win 7 and Office 2010. It seems like Office 2007 was just released and yet here we are with the next version already coming down the pipe.