Sony: Up to 50% of our HDTVs to be 3D-capable by 2012

By on November 30, 2009, 2:00 PM
Sony first revealed plans for 3D-capable Bravia televisions earlier this year, and most recently it also laid out some ideas for stuffing the technology into its Blu-ray players, VAIO laptops and PlayStation 3 console. While it remains to be seen how consumers in general react to the idea, the company is apparently very confident of its success, expecting around 30 to 50 percent of all the TVs it sells from April 2012 to be 3D-enabled.

These sets will include a small piece of additional hardware to enable the 3D functionality. The extra hardware isn't likely to have a big price premium, but the glasses required to see 3D content could be sold separately for up to $200. The idea is to keep prices competitive with other sets while only requiring a higher expense from customers who want access to the additional functionality.

The company's 3D strategy is said to revolve around gaming, films and sports. But Sony isn't the only one betting on the technology to secure future sales. Earlier this month, Asus unveiled a pair of laptops with Nvidia's 3D Vision built in, and we've heard about multiple TV vendors readying a wave of 3D compatible sets for next year. We are hoping to hear a lot more details at CES 2010 this January.

Moltar said:

Is there anyone else out there that isnt jumping on this 3D band wagon? I feel like the TV manufacturers are just trying to come out with some new variation to put more money into their pockets.

fref said:

You're telling me that I just spent 3500$ on two Sony Bravia TVs that will be outdated in 2-3 years? Oh well, I'm not buying new TVs any time soon, so I guess I'll skip this new technology for the first few years.

swilllx2p said:

I think the whole 3D thing in televisions and gaming systems is really really cool and all, but i'll definitly be waiting on the technology until it gets to a point where glasses are not required to see it in 3D. Get to that point and I see this as a huge success...glasses and I see it being mainly just enthusiasts buying.

LightHeart said:

I agree with the other posts, 3D is not really needed at this time. Plus with a family of 4, that would add an extra $800. I can see little Jane and John fighting over a $200 pair of 3D glasses and oops, need another pair. I'm still using old CRT TVs, which look and work just fine.

topcoach said:

I'm looking forward to seeing how well this new technology works.

Serag said:

I think that this new technology is not needed now..its introduced early just to earn the manufactures more money!

Rapidhic said:

3D HDTVs, Project Natal... the new age has begun!

manintech said:

$200 for a 3D glasses? seems like they all make lots of profit on accessories

IvanAwfulitch IvanAwfulitch said:

manintech said:

$200 for a 3D glasses? seems like they all make lots of profit on accessories

And just as you implied, that's only the HALF of it. When the first intense 3D games come out, we'll need quite some graphics processors to figure all that information out. Can you imagine the kind of money and the power needed to enable 3D gaming? These HDTVs and 3DHD glasses are only the beginning.

matchu said:

Wouldn't it be so cool if you could have a 3D TV or graphics without the need for glasses? I'm just imagining myself strolling around my house. I don't want to have to sit down directly in front of the TV and put on some glasses to be able to enjoy it. It's kind of restrictive...

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

Here's an interesting video for you guys if you haven't been keeping up with this 3D TV thing - [link] . This should give you an idea of where we're headed with this thing - sure it may be a few or more years, but it'll eventually be something we all deem essential. Believe me, I've spent way more on TVs in the last 4 years than I'm willing to admit and I'm not looking forward to replacing them, but resistance is futile and there's no need to fear change.

stwongbad85 said:

Everything I have seen in "3D" so far just gives me a headache and overall seems kind of gimmicky. Also, watching stuff at home requires a completely dark room, otherwise, it just feels distracting.

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

this seems to me like a big way for sony to make alot of money on a product that will not be used as they intend it to be who is going to shell out $200 for glasses?

tengeta tengeta said:

So whats the chance that "3DTV" will be a slightly higher resolution than 1080p to force people to yet again get new TV's?

BlackIrish said:

In that case, I'm still gonna keep my CRT TV until 3D OLED 2xHD sets come out :p

Heretic said:

This would be pretty cool, but I'm just a little bit confused on how this would work with gameplay. Just watching a scene in 3 dimensions is complicated enough. Being able to look around and walk through it as a character is going to be complex as hell.

muljator said:

i think it will be at least 5 years until 3D tv is a mainstream technology.

so no point to worry about lcd being outdated yet.

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

lightheart said:

I'm happy to hear that I'm not the only other person who is using CRT's and doesn't want to toss out $800 in gizmo glasses and a several grand on TV sets to replace entertainment that is otherwise meeting it's needs.

bedouinrising said:

this is a technology that I think won't catch on very quickly...

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

muljator said:

i think it will be at least 5 years until 3D tv is a mainstream technology.

so no point to worry about lcd being outdated yet.

I'd be thinking it's going to take longer than that. It's taken HDTV almost a decade to become mainstream.

TechDisciple said:

lmao if they think i will shell out my hard earned dollars to buy some stupid 3d glasses for $200 each... Enough Said now Called ED. LOL

ken777 said:

Dammit! I'm still using a CRT TV that's almost 10 years old. I thought about getting an LCD TV a couple of yrs ago, but decided to wait for 120hz. Now I'm waiting for LED back-lit, local dimming sets to come down in price. By the time that happens, 3D TV will be rolling out. Guess I'll still be watching SD on my CRT for another five yrs.

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

technology goes too fast, i just got myself an HDTV (almost 1 year) & now this...

well i'm sure i'll go for it for SONY also said would update the PS3 FW to support this, so mostly to get the best our of everything, i will surely get a new 3DTV

will have to sell that one though, i'm not rich .. just Richy

this is a nice move SONY, yet dangerous these times, the worst is that i see people complaining this & that around me but they still do continue to buy, buy buy ...

bye!

saintbodhisatva said:

.. But if it does catch on, economies of scale will make it cheaper and more affordable, thats something I'm hoping for 2-3 years after its introduction.

lfg18 said:

I haven't had the chance of watching one of these tv's by myself but they look very very good, I'm pretty sure that they will make gaming and watching movies a terrific expirience, we just have to wait until this technology gets cheaper so everybody can enjoy it, maybe in 5 years everybody will have one of this at home

Razerblade said:

I do not think 3d TV will hit off for a while. I have just bought a new HD TV and I plan to keep that for as long as possible. I think this technology will have a lot of problems when it is first released so i will wait a while until it becomes stable and worthy of an upgrade!

Arthurik_jan Arthurik_jan said:

This stereoscopic technology + 360 degrees displays which Sony was exhibiting last month = Full 3D. The image would change depending on the angle from which you would be watching.

How many people have seen a 3D movie recently? I saw Monsters & Aliens back when it came out and it was so much fun. I'm happy to hear that this is happening, although I own a CRT monitor and TV myself. Everyone knows that the production costs and C.O.S. will go down eventually and the prices will drop dramatically in due time, so there's nothing to worry about.

Imagine the possibilities!

yorro said:

3D Technology is amazing although overrated.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

The $200 glasses worry me. This suggests active glasses, such as LCD switching ones. Standard 3D movie glasses, which are polarised glasses, should be a lot cheaper (as in $5). Polarised glasses are a lot more comfortable to use than LCD ones, and I fear we'll get the same old tech regurgitated again.

timljh said:

it will be really weird when the whole family watching the tv wearing the specs and ignore each other...lol.. prefer the traditional type.. maybe it is great for consoles...

Nirkon said:

Do Nvidia glasses cost this much? $200? I wonder what the hell they are made of, gold? you could get top quality designer glasses for less :P

but seriously, would most people want to pay the price premium for the 3D?

how many people will even get to use it out of the ones that buy it?

AbsolutGaloot said:

Somehow I think that even having the capability, there won't be any actual 3D content (as opposed to 2D-modifications to look 3D) until it's the same price as normal 2D. Still, the idea of 3D images being standard in households within my lifetime is incredible.

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

I'm not so convinced that 3D TVs will take off like they are expecting. The $200 pricetag is a bit much! But I did get a kick out of the picture for this story! Tom Hanks sportin' some 3D glasses!

UT66 said:

Sony... dear, what the hell are you doing? stuffing yo say? how about no.

I've got the Nvidia 3d glasses and samsung monitor for gaming - it's still dropping my jaw.

jjbeard926 said:

The next person to say 3D gets pistol whipped. I'm so sick of this new 3D fad. I really don't care. I haven't found anyone that cares. Hardware manufacturers are just jumping on the buzz word bandwagon again and it's silly. They are throwing money away on research for products that no one really wants. It's a gimmick. I find it extremely lame. In fact I'll go so far as to ask Techspot to pretty, pretty please never post another topic about 3D again. I've seen early prototype models and really, it's the same 3D we rejected in the 80's as looking "schlocky". Stick to your HD TV's for now. Revisit 3D when you can project a decent looking hologram without a huge energy budget.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I checked out the Samsung/nvidia 3D monitor and it looked amazing, anyone who's skeptical of 3D should really check it out with their own eyes first, it's a whole different dimension (pun intended) and nothing like those red/blue glasses.

In terms of 3D TVs, as with all new technology I guess it's a case of waiting for a few years until they become more widely adopted and prices drop to a reasonable level.

buttus said:

Sony has really had some forward thinking in regards to bringing 3DTV to the masses. They have obviously decided to be the lead company into this new media format. I guess they learned their lessons when they lost the Beta vs VHS wars (and even Blu-ray over HD) and want to have the market cornered. How else can you explain fundamental architecture of both their LCD TV's and even the PS3....all being future capable of 3DTV. It certainly shows some of Sonys value to the consumer.

buttus said:

Sony decided a long time ago that they would be THE player in 3d display technology. It's amazing that they have done architectural designs that would allow backward compatibility. Even the PS3 will be 3d capable. Sonys' strategy is to create 3d content AND have a way of distributing it.