Battlefield: Bad Company 2 PC beta delayed, new features revealed

By on November 30, 2009, 8:30 PM
According to a blog post by producer Gordon Van Dyke, DICE has delayed the PC beta for its upcoming military FPS, Battlefield: Bad Company 2. "With the huge success of the PS3 beta we decided to drastically increase the PC beta's capacity to insure as many people as possible could participate," Van Dyke said. On the bright side, that additional time will allow the developers to further polish the game, making it that much sweeter when it finally arrives. DICE now intends to release the PC beta "very early next year."

Van Dyke's blog post wasn't all bad news, though, revealing new details about BFBC2. The game is now confirmed to support DirectX 11, allows 32 players to battle it out online (24 on consoles), and has a buddy list to keep track of your friends. Other features include dedicated ranked servers, clan and private server support, a PC squad play system, and compatibility with joysticks for flying, Nvidia 3D Vision, Logitech LCD keyboards, VoIP and more.
PC Enhanced Features

Up to 32 Players on PC (24 on consoles) - Play with up to 32 players online in the biggest multiplayer Maps in Battlefield. Each with a different tactical and gameplay focus set across a variety of environments.

Enhanced Gameplay - The PC version also includes wide peripheral support like Joysticks for flying, NVIDIA 3D Vision, Logitech LCD Keyboards and VoIP Support plus a variety of specific features tailored for PC play.

Friend Support - Find your friends online with the new buddy list to see if and who is online so you can quickly join their game.

Dedicated Ranked Server - Everyone gets non-stop action with no connection penalties based on some other player's internet. Ranked Server Provider program will give players opportunity to rent their own server(s) located in professional grade datacenters, ability to modify settings like map rotation, create reserved slots for friends or clan members, kick & Ban players, and custom name your ranked server.

Clan Support & Private Servers - Independent Clan Tag, and ability to rent servers for hosting and controlling private password protected competitive servers with expanded control over the settings from public ranked servers.

PC Squad Play System - Updated from previous Battlefield PC titles now gives control of your squad before heading into combat.

UglyChild said:

I played the beta on PS3 and MW2 can suck it. This game is far better.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

I can honestly say I was waiting to see a comment like that. I haven't played either game. Would you mind sharing what you found to be better about BFBC2, UglyChild (or anyone else who has played both)?

codefeenix codefeenix said:

I have high hopes for BFBC2 on the PC, i hope it can bring me back to FPS's

matchu said:

sweeet. another game to add on my must-get list. i personally prefer playing FPS on pc anyways. The mouse has always felt more natural to me than a gamepad... but that's just my humble opinion.

jurrasstoil said:

The first one looked quite interessting, but i refuse to buy a console when i have a well equipped PC. I never read or heard why the first one wasn't ported to the PC, it's not like FPS play sooooo much better on with a controller...

Well, good choice to bring the 2nd part to the PC, i think i'll give it a try.

AtK SpAdE AtK SpAdE, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I like BFBC the first time, I am excited to see what it brings this time around.

If it can capture the quality game play of Battlefield 2 that would be awesome. I am not a big fan of MW2, it just seems like a reskinned MW1. The maps are so so, and some of the weapons and perks are just really off of the wall. Heartbeat Sensors? Dual p90s? Nukes? C'mon.

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

i really want this game too, i still don't know if i'll get i on PC or Console, maybe both

cheers!

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

wow look its what MW2 was supposed to be lol. it looks awesome and i cant wait to play it.

UglyChild said:

Matthew said:

Huge maps and vehicles that you can drive.

Game play require tactics and strategy, instead of fast finger and spray & pray.

Moltar said:

Finally a game that does it right and always has, BF I love you!

lfg18 said:

I haven't played this game, but it looks very nice, and i'm pretty sure that the graphics and the controls will be better than those of the console, It almost always happens in thet way, well of course as long as you have a capable PC, I think that I will sign up for the beta if i had the chance

tengeta tengeta said:

Delays seem to be getting to a point of standardization in the gaming industry... sad really.

saintbodhisatva said:

hurray for another push in support of DX11.

bonboy said:

can't wait till the game finish polished. from the screenshot the game has an amazing graphic,soooo real,amazing,

n i think this's the second game support dx 11 after dirt 2.

Basher said:

I'll be looking forward to this. I played BF1942 (Mainly Desert Combat mod) and BF2 for quite a while. Hopefully they fix many of the flops those games eventually succumb to... such as terrible ability to admin the games.

speeedy6 said:

Playing the beta now and loving it!!!

Razerblade said:

Wow this looks great! This is what MW2 should have included for the PC. I cannot wait to play the beta of this game when it becomes available for the PC. MW2 had the opportunity to include all these features and make it an amazing game but they missed it! This game looks awesome!!!!!!

dellz said:

Im glad to see DICE dose not make console ports to pc , like infinty ward , who was too lazy to polish their game for their biggest support base the pc community . I have been a big fan of battelfield all my gamer days and this will be a must buy because it has all the things i was waiting from MW2 , i mean come on a PC FPS needs 32 player servers for MAX madness team deathmatches not 12 people IWcrap controled servers where 50 % you loose a game do to hackers or 3 man partys who leave mid game(its really annoying playing Search and Destroy 3 vs 6 =/ )

yorro said:

WOW BF2 Can definitely revive PC-FPS after that MW2 debacle

BlackIrish said:

Yay, a DX 11 game - now only to get a DX 11 compatible graphics card :p

fref said:

If that is a real in-game screenshot, this game looks amazing! I'm guessing it's no DirectX 11 only, so does anyone know what improvements the DirectX 11 mode brings to the game? Is it only the lighting and shadows, or do they use the new DirectCompute feature of DirectX 11 for stuff like physics?

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I have to admit that if that screenshot is in-game then it is going to look sweet! I also ask for the same info as fref, what does the DX11 mode bring extra?

AbsolutGaloot said:

I am SO very happy to see that MW2 is not influencing other developers when bringing features to the PC for their games.

MW2's "enhanced PC features" list:

- Mouse!

- Keyboard!

- Console Pricing! (even though the Dev doesn't have to pay extra money to make it for the PC like they do for consoles)

Thank you DICE for remembering why we game on the PC in the first place

AbsolutGaloot said:

Hrm, the edit from the board didn't reflect on the page.

Straight from the dev:

Moriarte: Ignoring IW.net, is the PC version a direct port of the console version?

Mackey-IW: No, PC has custom stuff like mouse control, text chat in game, and graphics settings.

(http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/11/pc-modern-warfar
-2-its-much-worse-than-you-thought.ars)

ColdPreacher said:

Ya this game looks nice, specially for the PC

Serag said:

Glad to see that so far no one's jumping on IW's bandwagon and cutting PC off features..so far at least..

Game looks really good..looking forward for the Beta..

swilllx2p said:

For many of you that wonder if that's from actual gameplay i'm pretty sure it is. I encourage people to go watch the videos on this game because honestly it looks amazing. I also really hope that this game is absolutely huge especially for the pc, because we really need to show our support for a awesome game and company that remembers how a game like this is meant to be on the pc. I'm buying this on launch day for the pc for sure.

Differences to look at compared to MW2.

-Not console priced on the pc

-Dedicated Servers, and a company that isn't screwing the pc users over for profit

-A lot bigger maps

-Squad play

-Drivable vehicles (Choppers, ATV's, Anti Air, Jet Ski's,Jets, Jeeps, Tanks, Apc's, etc...)

-Full Building Destruction

-DX11

-IMO far more skill/strategy involved(as another said..you cant spray and pray and think your gonna be good at it, If you like to spray and pray..get MW2)

I will say MW2 Is probably more realistic in terms of when you get shot you go down a lot quicker, but this is a game after all..and for me I'd much rather it take a little more to get a kill and the best shot wins, then the person that sprays and prays first wins. Which honestly it doesn't take a lot to get a kill you just need to not spray at people and actually aim for the head.

swilllx2p said:

Want to add in that I am a huge fan of battlefields on the pc, but I WAS also a fan of COD, and planned to buy CODMW2 until they stripped dedicated servers out.

Also to throw in a negative side of battlefields, at least in the past they can tend to be buggy in certain parts of the game..example knifing is still bugged as heck on bf2 and bf2412(not a fan of 2412 at all), and shot registration has been off in there games in the past by a bit at times.

IvanAwfulitch IvanAwfulitch said:

I think I have a new shooter I'll be aiming for. I didn't get to play the first one, but I still feel an incredible need to jump on this bandwagon. It looks very very good.

Heretic said:

WOOO! Hell yes! Great game! Can't wait to play this.

Chazz said:

tengeta said:

There is so much that goes into producing a quality game nowadays that it is almost impossible to expect a scheduled release to stick.

Nirkon said:

PC is almost always delayed.. I bet most people

don't really care about the improvements and just want to play

it whenever it comes out on the consoles..

ryan29121 said:

I have been a battlefield fan from the very beginning, and this game looks absolutely amazing. I was sad when they didn't release BC 1 for the PC. I am also kinda sad that the BF1943 PC release is constantly being pushed back. Despite the downfalls, I still love the Battlefield franchise.

DarKSeeD DarKSeeD said:

BlackIrish said:

Yay, a DX 11 game - now only to get a DX 11 compatible graphics card :p

From main site "Full DirectX 9, 10 & 11 Support - Immerse yourself in the Battlefield world as Frostbite engine brings tanks, helicopters and explosions to vivid life on your PC. The game will fully support Windows XP, Vista, and 7 with new tech that further improves things like lighting and shadows."

So no need to panic.

Se7enVII said:

The people working on Battlefield: Bad Company 2 seems to be doing things right. Even though it is delayed, at least they aren't going the route of MW2 and making a crappy console port. Can't wait to get my hands on this game.

ken777 said:

This sounds great. I'm glad they're taking advantage of PC capabilities and not just going with the lowest common denominator (console) like everyone else these days. I hope eyefinity is properly supported too.

wcbert said:

I like to see an update to BF 1942 but looks like everyone want modern warfare type games so that is the major push in new games.

KG363 KG363 said:

This game looks so amazing. I can't wait!

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

i was hoping that MW2 would be like this but alas we got a flaming pile of console crap instead of an actual PC game IW needs to pull there head out of you know where and listen to the people.

stolennosferatu said:

Can't wait! MW2 was a huge disappointment, and I need a good online FPS to play.

TechDisciple said:

omfg i can't wait for the polish beta to be released defenitely will be more awsome then mw2 i hope

UT66 said:

see what i mean? another dx 11 delay! great. btw dx 10.1 Support?

UT66 said:

oh, and MW2 sucks. Good job Activision.

WakeMO said:

I hope to God this wont be a port like Cod 6. They better not ruin this game.

swilllx2p said:

WakeMO said:

I hope to God this wont be a port like Cod 6. They better not ruin this game.

It's pretty much a sure thing that this will not be a port like Cod 6. Unless they drastically change courses, and go against a ton of what they've said about the PC version..its not happening. They've even poked fun at Ifinity Ward for there lack of dedicated servers. They're making this game even better than they would have on the pc if anything, to take advantage of the angry customers IW:Activision left.

Docnoq said:

Chazz said:

tengeta said:

I would much rather have a game be delayed a few months than have it released before any testing is done. There's nothing like buying a brand new game, installing it, and running into a brick wall of errors because the creator did not polish it enough.

Case and point: Borderlands (PC). The game had A LOT of potential, but in the end, it was just a poorly-made console port. Nobody wants to edit .ini files to turn on vsync, disable in-game mic, etc. And the hosting is a whole other issue by itself.

Orionlocke said:

Very cool that it will be supporting DX 11. It seems like all the major titles lately have been delayed...I get all excited for the release date only to find out the game is delayed. Thats a bummer but I guess it's better to delay release and get the game right than to rush it out glitched!

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

I think I will buy this game merely for the fact that I'm pissed off at Infinity Ward and MW2. This also helped too.

[link]

buttus said:

I LOVED the first Bad Company. The gameplay was solid, shooting through walls was cool, and the characters were rich in personality (and hell, it was just fun to play). So, Bad Company 2 should be a blast which I am very much looking forward to.

What type of vehicles can you fly? That was my favorite part about BF2