Thanksgiving week brings record game console sales

By on December 1, 2009, 5:30 PM
Between Black Friday deals, the recent price cuts, and the usual surge in holiday shopping, game console makers witnessed record sales last week. Sony reportedly moved over 440,000 PlayStation 3s for the week ending Sunday -- a single-week record. This compares to 320,600 PS3s shipped during the entire month of October. Sony witnessed similar trends with other consoles, like the PSP, but no exact figures have been disclosed.

Nintendo's Wii proved it is still a hot commodity, selling some 550,000 machines in the US from November 22 to 28. Despite moving over half a million units, the Wii performed worse than last year's 800,000, but in all, Nintendo sold over 1.5 million of its various game systems last week, topping its own sales record. That breaks down to more than 150 systems every minute -- or 2.5 every second.

Microsoft has not released any hard numbers on Xbox 360 sales, though product management director Aaron Greenberg revealed that it was the console's biggest sales week of the year. Greenberg said the Xbox 360 sold over two times more than the previous week. Judging by NPD's October figures, that is somewhere around 65,000 to 70,000 units -- or over 130,000 last week.

NPD will release November's sales figures in the coming weeks, which should paint a more detailed picture.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Tell ya what I'd really like to see and that's what Steam made on it's big 5-day sale. I know I bought half-a-dozen games. And they were pushing their sale hard on Facebook and a couple of other places.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I came really close to buying one of the bundles - PS3, 2 Controllers I think, and 2 games - for $300. But I just didn't have the spare cash ...that and im still a little pissed at the hole no more backwards compatibility thing. My ps2 just barely reads disc still

Timonius Timonius said:

360's don't seem to be selling as well. Hey Mikey, time to do some fancy marketing/console redesigning!

Cueto_99 said:

I agree with TomSea, prices were really low for games on Steam during these last five days, I also bought the THQ Pack which holds over 12 games, so I would like to see steam's numbers too...

Deso said:

Hahahahaha

"we sold twice as much as last week"

NUMBER DODGE.

in other words xbox 360 got PWNT by ps3 sales ^_^

lfg18 said:

I think it was logical that the PS3 sold that well during the last weekend, you could find great offers, a PS3 for $300 was a great deal, what I still don't understand is how the Wii is still selling that well, I wouldn't buy one myself since the games it offers are not that good in comparison to those in the PS3/360, now let's see how things go during Christmas.

KG363 KG363 said:

I'd think that as the current gen consoles age, PC gaming would grow. Guess I was wrong

ken777 said:

Hard to believe that the sales gap between PS3 and Xbox 360 was that huge. Maybe it's time for another price drop or Xbox Slim.

flukeh said:

kg363 said:

Who says that it isn't growing? Thing with PC's is there is a lot more diversity in gaming. And exact number of PC's bought would not attribute all of them would be used for gaming so a comparison like this one would be useless.

timljh said:

I think by the time motion eye and natal releases, the consoles will sell even more....

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

i think the whole microsoft banning all those people mad sonys sales alot better if i were sony id send a thank you letter to microsoft as in Thanks for the great blunder of yours our sales have gone up like crazy since you little fiasco started thanks for the extra cash sincerely Sony lol

Did everyone forget how many XBOX 360's have been sold over the past few years? ....and how many PS3's were sold? Eventually, the market evens out in a way. The XBOX community is already so large, it only makes sense that when both consoles issue a price drop that the PS3 will sell better. People have waited and waited on their precious PS3's to actually be legitimately affordable. They're just catching up is all.

Clrabbit said:

I can quite haply say I did not buy a game console. I am still current gen free. I really didn't see any deals that were like wow I have to get that! a X360 for $100 or a PS3 for $150 might get me to buy one.

I'll likely get a PS3 when the PS4 comes out.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I bought two Wii's for family, but that's not related to Black Friday or holiday shopping, since there's none of that here.

UT66 said:

"Microsoft has not released any hard numbers on Xbox 360 sales"

-insert exclamation of sharp sudden pain-

Puiu Puiu said:

Although natal is coming, Xbox didn't do so well compared to PS3 or Wii. i was expecting at least 300k units sold since PS3 managed to sell 320k units. Lately PS3 has been doing very well.

GoranGol GoranGol said:

I will definitely buy PS3 Slim, but i will wait few more weeks or maybe even January. Hoping for some better packages or even lower price.

Steam actions were great. And that is what digital distribution should be. Cheaper than the box version.

I bought THQ Pack and some other games (KOTOR, Plants vs. Zombies). I missed Grid, EVE Online, Guild Wars and some other games. I am really disappointed by that

freedomthinker said:

Man gaming is getting bigger and bigger , its kinda scary

dellz said:

well the amount of gamers is truly frightning because most of theese gaming addicts are not contributing to the society , im dont even want to imagine how many peopel in the USA are playing right now , i know a dude who has almost 400 hours of gameplay on the pc version of MW2 , i dont even want to think what hours serious console gamers have spent behind their tv.

kaonis92 said:

I always enjoy seeing xbox360 getting pwnt by ps3 in sales... At this price ps3 will continue selling more and more units.

drasho said:

the deals on steam were pretty good =)

the ps3 with 2 game for 300$ sounded good... i should have went and bought 1 =P

Docnoq said:

lfg18 said:

The Wii is still selling well because it is attractive to a market segment that neither the 360 or PS3 can get to - namely 'casual gamers'. My friend's girlfriend just bought a Wii over the break, and even though my friend and myself were pushing her toward a PS3, she bought a Wii because it has more 'girly' and family games. To all of us 'hardcore' gamers, the Wii is garbage because it has bad graphics and a poor selection of good titles. But to all the casual gamers, it is the best choice.

I would love to see how each console did in game sales though. I'm sure Wii did considerably less than the 360 or PS3 considering a lot of people that have Wiis do not purchase a lot of games.

ryan29121 said:

This doesn't surprise me, with the amount of good games that were released within 4-5 weeks time. Borderlands, Dragon age, MW2, L4D2, and Assassins creed 2. How could you not buy the majority of those.

AbsolutGaloot said:

TomSEA said:

I love steam sales, and this 5day was amazing. I'm sad that I didn't have more to spend, I'd have picked up quite a few games. From the numbers that they do release from their half-off weekend sales and such, sales tend to double or triple.

I'm amazed the Wii is still selling so strongly, it's been out long enough that you'd figure that everyone who wanted one has it by now. I wonder if there's still supply shortages going on over the holiday season like there seems to have been ever since launch.

Orionlocke said:

The PS3 had more sales than Xbox but thats probably because so many people already have the Xbox 360 compared to the amount of people that own a PS3.

It's good to see the hot numbers...means the gaming market is strong!

Heretic said:

I'm with orionlocke. I think the Xbox 360 numbers were smaller because of that exact reason. More people already own an xbox 360 compared to other game consoles. But either way, I expect these numbers to only go up as the Christmas and Hanukkah holidays approach. Blackfriday was a good sale, but those numbers WILL go up again. By a lot.

Afenix said:

Thanks to uncharted 2 ps3 got so famous, yet xbox 360 got some great games too.. 360 still got a lot to learn.

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

Good freaking lord, Nintendo! In the time it took me to write this, they could have sold 15 systems!

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Whats really a fun thought, I payed over twice the current price for the PS3 when I got it. It didn't come with a game and only has a 60GB HDD, oh and it came with a sixaxis sans rumble. Back then PS3 sales were maybe a tenth what they are now. Sadly I just don't have any interest playing it, the graphics are so bad compared to what my PC can do, I have over a dozen games for it but don't play them. The only thing I use it for is streaming media to my HDTV but even at that my PC is hooked up to that too... I don't regret buying it but I would like to have not purchased half the games I did and instead have got them on PC.

muljator said:

it's finally time to upgrade from ps2 to ps3 .

xbx360 wasn't an option for me really becouse officialy they didn't even sell consoles in my country. snobs

AnonymousSurfer AnonymousSurfer said:

That's a lot of PS3's... To think of it, if each were sold for $300, 440,000 is a bit of money. Then of course, you also have to include how much they spent to purchase the systems to sell but that's still some pretty good money.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

Ps3 is selling alot of its console ever since they lowered the price and I assume it will sell big time for Christmas. The xbox sales are really down but I assume its bc alot of people own a xbox already, or maybe 70,000 had to buy a replacement with there ridiculous break rates.

Wii - 18 million units sold in US

360 - 11 million

PS3 - 5.7 mil

Yes 360 has a lot to learn, but from Nintendo; not Sony.

TechDisciple said:

The PS3 awesomeness still in the rise, as u can tell by the huge sales they had does past days.

buttus said:

The deals this year have been fantastic. Retailers are being SO much more aggressive and SO much earlier this year over last. I guess they are trying to max out the Christmas season during this terrible recession and frankly I don't blame them. Now if only Sony will go Rambo on the PS3.