Logitech developing UMD drive add-on for PSP Go?

By on December 2, 2009, 8:46 PM
According to a CVG tipster, Logitech is developing a UMD drive add-on for Sony's PSP Go. The accessory would attach to the PSP Go allowing users to play UMD games on the device. This would add a bit of bulk to the otherwise sleek handheld, but it could be worthwhile if you have a large UMD collection -- and it certainly beats juggling two PSPs.

Seeking confirmation, CVG contacted Logitech's UK office who denied knowledge of the add-on. "We’re not aware of it, so it may be something the US office is working on." CVG has also contacted the US division as well as Sony. Neither have responded, but the site will surely post an update if they hear back.

The PSP Go debuted in October and relies on internal memory along with Sony's digitally distributed content rather than physical media. While there were talks of a "good-will" program to swap UMD games -- which previous PSP models used -- for digital copies, Sony scrapped the plan because of "legal" and "technical" reasons.

BlindObject said:

Depending how big it is, I could see them making lots of money here. They could even bundle with the PSP itself.

saintbodhisatva said:

They've definitely found a plug for one of the big downsides to the PSP Go. I wonder about the Sony licensing issues though, part of which was removing UMD for more sales control over game content played in the device.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Now if only you could back up that UMD into internal flash memory...

lfg18 said:

This could be a very good product, offers for old UMD movies can be found relatibely easy, so it is a good option for a portable movie player and as saintbodhisatva said if you have a good collection of movies this might be the product for you, the problem is that lots of people now have Ipods with tons of storage on them, so the pricing is a factor to consider

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

this imo is kinda dumb i mean first of all the psp go has a smaller screen than the psp 3000 and cant play umd's wtf that is just a way for sony to say sorry you bought all thoses umd's that were not manufacturing anymore our bad.

Puiu Puiu said:

They are doing this because it isn't selling as well as they hoped for. And the reason is most likely because it doesn't have UMD support.

Serag said:

Pushing for more selling..more money out of the disappointment the PSP-Go created

tengeta tengeta said:

Guess that shows Sony that the consumer base isn't entirely interested in being forced to deal with their crap. Good for consumers, and something I haven't said in a while; Good for Logitech.

Clrabbit said:

Every time I see a PSP-go I think Hand cramp it's bad enough playing on the 3000.

If I didn't LOVE the new screens on the 3000's I would have got a 1000

I don't really see the big PUSH for small personally the best feeling Hand held I've ever played is still my old Game Gear by SEGA.

Even in the modern day If I'm going on a long trip and plan to put a bit of time gaming I'll grab the GG over the PSP.

The one thing I see out of Logitech upcoming device is some way to get it working on a PC so that way you can watch UMD's and better support the Upcoming PSP EMU scene.

Basher said:

I've tried to get into some handheld game systems, but just can never seem to be held in. I don't have huge hands, let's just say larger than average--and I get tired of playing after a pretty short time. I have an original PSP, which barely cuts it in size. If I'm going on a trip now, I'll choose my Kindle over anything else. Reading something, then when I get bored I can play some minesweeper

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

i don't really think this is going to happen, but hey i also thought there wouldn't be a PS3 slim that early

so putting legal & technical issues SONY mentioned earlier, would be a great addon that can move a lot of consoles.

it's been long since i wanted a PSP, so a GO isn't a real big problem for me, for i don't have any games on it, yet to those needing (wanting is not a good idea here ) an upgrade that will help with the migration of the existing collection. i just hope some cool legal solution is found someday.

cheers!

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

To be honest if I was in the market for a new PSP I would still have to go for the 3000 rather than the Go. Not because UMDs are better than internal memory, but the Go's screen is just too small to play games. I can fit my 3000 in my jacket pocket and the screen is just awesome.

manintech said:

totally agreed, i would rather have a psp3000, this one simply does not look good and does not feel right

BlackIrish said:

PSP 3000 is still a better buy, though globally, I would still get an Ipod Touch for gaming :p

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If Sony was smart, they'd let this happen, and even encourage it. There is a huge library of UMD games out there right now in the world, and nobody with a decent personal library of titles would even remotely consider buying the Go, since they couldn't play any of their old stuff without having to rebuy it online. Give those people a way to use those old titles (and coincidentally be able to still go to places like GameStop and get new/used titles, or even rent games like with GameFly) and you give them a reason to look at the Go. Without that tie to the huge current base of physical UMDs, Sony will only be selling the Go to people new to the PSP scene, who don't have an investment in games already, and don't have any clue how limited their options will be moving forward. At least with an optional UMD reader, they'd have a shot at getting some of their existing clientele to buy into the Go.

Afenix said:

This console model is simply a fail for sony. I own a PSP-3000, which is far way better than this one. It's with me everywhere, it's so reliable, AND IT CAN READ GAME DISCS DUUH...

RealXboxMaster said:

What are they thinking? Are they that retarted! Why invest into a outdated technology thats 6 yrs old. Who would buyit? Smart consumers will know not to buy this type of add-on that 99% fail to sell. There's a reason why Sony released PSP Go without the UMD drive on the ..... for DLC.

ColdPreacher said:

I cant believe if you have games still on UMD's you cant play them on the new PSP. Instead you have to invest money to play and older technology that forces your new PSP to have an attatchement or carry your old PSP around with you.

Chazz said:

If you already have a PSP3000, why would you buy a PSP go?

If Microsoft introduced a Xbox slim, why would I go out and buy it when I have a 360 at home? Do people routinely buy duplicates of systems? I think the PSP go is aimed at new users, ones that will care less if they play via UMD or internall memory.

levar said:

This is good depending on how this addon works with the Go, whether its something stick on the back and play it with the UMD in, which would SUCK OR it transfers the UMD files to the internal memory or MS, The PSPGo was to stop the piracy on PSP if you not familiar with CFW that is currently available on all PSPs expect the PSPGo allowing you to play almost any game you want and much more- I think the Go was just something SONY released as a test thats just imo. This add-on sounds pretty cool though and they should've already made such an add-on before they even said the PSPGo won't support UMD that would've been better than just saying u have to purchase content online I think it would've taken a larger impact in the sales + the Go cost wayyyy to much =/ a good 16GB MS cost less than $45 now next year probably going to be cheaper.

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Chazz said:

If you already have a PSP3000, why would you buy a PSP go?

Maybe you are buying a new unit for another member of the family... Or what if your PSP3000 breaks? Or is stolen? There are quite a few scenarios where you might already be a PSP user and be in the market to get a new unit. Usually, if you are shopping for a product, you would be inclined to get the latest version of that product (speaking in general terms, regarding general consumer preferences). And what if the supply of 3000s is cut off, leaving only the Go available at the time you need to get one?

Or, alternatively, what if you want to rent games for your PSP through Gamefly or a local rental shop? Can't with a Go. New users who are savvy and actually plan through their purchases may see this and move away from the Go because of things like that.

buttus said:

I think it's pretty simple myself. If you have UMD games, do NOT buy the PSP Go. I appreciate the small nature of the PSP Go, but I do not want to download the games I would buy for it. This is the simple reason why they have both PSP models still available.

AbsolutGaloot said:

The PSP Go is a bit pricey for a handheld. I certainly wouldn't want to get one when I could spend the same (or under $50 more) and get a console that has a far wider selection of games. Sure, it's not portable, but that's what I have my DS and Ebook reader for. It's nice that they're adding UMD support, but not only will it be a bulky addon it's added cost too.

kaonis92 said:

That the solution to any previous psp owners that sony never gave! Good move from Logitech.

Chazz said:

Sony is notorious for this though. The current user is not the focused market..ever. They've constantly ditched or did not support their products. Like the network adapter and HD for the PS2. They ditched that with the PS2 slim, they shut out the eye candy support for the PS2 and they took out some PS3 support for the slim version. It never hurts their sales, they've actually seen a sales boost in most of those cases.

This will only be a problem for very few people, most users old(psp300 users) and new(psp-go) will be happy.

vangrat said:

Honestly, what is sopping me from moving to the psp is one thing, and only one thing. If sony did this I would swap so fast my omnia would cry. The PSP is not a phone. Yes this sound rather lame as the Ngage never took off. But frankly the ngage sucked horribly as far as phone and gaming went. Combine the phone experience of the ericson with the gaming experience of the playstation and my god you would have a device that would have gamers and phone enthusiast around the world drooling. It could possibly even put a dent in the iPhones market...although a small dent, but a dent none the less.

i have had the psp go for 3 weeks now and it is great it dose not cramp your hands

Justinbb2000 said:

It would be great to have a separate UMD drive that actually transmitted to the PSP Go via bluetooth technology. Then you wouldnt have to worry about cables or adding extra bulk to the console.

You could sit the UMD drive/ transmitter down and play!!