EA's Medal of Honor reboot slated for fall 2010 release

By on December 3, 2009, 4:05 PM
More details have emerged about EA's reboot of the Medal of Honor video game series. Claimed to be the "most authentic modern war experience," the upcoming installment will be titled simply "Medal of Honor" and is slated for release in the fall of next year on PC, Xbox 360 and PS3.

Set in modern-day Afghanistan, gamers will play as a "Tier 1 Operator" -- an elite Special Forces soldier of sorts -- who embarks on grueling missions assigned by the National Command Authority. The title will depart from previous Medal of Honor releases, which have largely featured WWII-era gameplay.

EA's Los Angeles studio will reportedly develop the game in conjunction with DICE, who will work on multiplayer elements. Medal of Honor will use DICE's Frostbite engine, which also powers recent Battlefield releases, including Bad Company, Bad Company 2, and the downloadable Battlefield 1943.

Expect to see a trailer during the Spike VGA awards on December 12. In the meantime, EA is taking preorders for all three platforms.

Eddie_42 Eddie_42 said:

oooo....Haven't played Medal of Honor since Allied Assault, great game, excellent multi-player maps many years ago. Will be fun to see this develope. Cant wait!!

Orionlocke said:

The Medal of Honor games were always a lot of fun so I'll be exicted to see this one come out. It looks like it should be a pretty cool game!

mailpup mailpup said:

I know it's an old game but, coincidentally, I just finished playing MoHAA for the first time yesterday.

vangrat said:

I actually might pick this one up, so tired of the WWII era games, will be nice to play an authentic modern FPS Wargame.

Boogityboo04 Boogityboo04 said:

Looks pretty sweet, I'm sick of WWII, so this will be nice.

BlindObject said:

Yeah I haven't been into MoH since AA and SH. Great games. We'll see how the new bad ass M0H will do, hopefully better than Mw2 =)

lfg18 said:

I didn't like this games a lot, mainly because of their recurrent WWII environment, that war is now overused, I think most of us are sick of killing nazis. One of the reasons I liked Modern warfare was because we got to play in our time, I lnow WWII was very important in history but I think it's time to let it go.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

You'd think these FPS war games would be getting a little old in popularity now. There must be a brazillion different titles released since BF1942 kicked the craze off 8 years ago.

But apparently not......

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

oh man a new MOH nice been hoping they would revamp that series and make it great again.

DarKSeeD DarKSeeD said:

Well, it all started with MoH so why not? I even now play it on MP (LAN) with many of my friends. It's fun and you don't need a monster computer to play it. Looking forward to the trailer!

Rapidhic said:

Probably modern wars (like MW2) sell more than WIII ones..

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

This was without a doubt one of my favourite WW game, hope it keeps up the line of gameplay that made this game gain such fame.

tengeta tengeta said:

EA is the video game propaganda king. Everything of theirs is advertised as the best of whatever category it is in, and the reality almost always ends up being the dead opposite.

Basher said:

Nice! I played the original and tried Airborne, but never got hooked it. I am still looking for a game to replace the ever-awesome Team Fortress 2. I guess I still have another year of TF2.

ColdPreacher said:

I wonder how this will compare to Call of Duty being as it is more realistic

BlackIrish said:

Hehe, they've taken a lesson from the Call of Duty series - change from WWII to modern times.

AnonymousSurfer AnonymousSurfer said:

Then can try all they want but COD dominates the war game experience.

ken777 said:

The old Medal of Honor games were great. It's good to see that they're reviving the series, but I hope this one stays focused on combat and doesn't end up with too many stealthy type missions.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

Im not going to lie, there are to many modern warefare games now, it is becoming the new WW2. It's being driven by the current wars. WIth Modern warefare 2 selling a trillion copies, battleifled Bad company 2 slated for release on all consoles/pc, and MAG to be released on PS3, idk if there is alot of money in this specific area as sales are going elsewhere. I kinda miss WW2 now lol

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

First gotta lol at the post after TomSEA's post, guess people aren't tired of FPS war games. Then I must look at what ColdPreacher said about CoD being more realistic, have you played the newest installment? Your one man against a unlimited non stop barrage of enemies in some of the missions, it almost gives Crysis a run for its money on the One Man Army approach. Now that I've got that out of the way time to lol at both the picture, thats one epic beard, and the setting in which this game takes place. Afghanistan, Really? Theres no way they are serious about that. "Operation Enduring Freedom" that will make for a great video game...

Styl said:

Wonder how this will turn out. Hopefully EA doesn't screw it up like they do to so many games.

KG363 KG363 said:

So i guess the WWII setting is all dried up. Time to kill the modern setting by releasing dozens of games based on the near future/ modern day

eafshar said:

allied assault was the first fps shooter game i played..very fun game.. looking forward to this release.

Puiu Puiu said:

They are just milking the name. The game could have been called differently and they could have started a new trilogy. Medal of honor should remain a ww2 game.

We already have the Call of Duty series switching to modern times and now Medal of Honor too?

deadmongol deadmongol said:

right! ww2 games such as this epic medal of honor is nice, but so many ww2 games already came out so why not try a modern approach, come on guys, lets face it who don't wanna see new tech weapons huh. this will be a really cool game of they do it right. rock on to fps games. gotta love em.

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

at least with modern war we can change or add what we want or even make it up like MW2 all wwII games have the same weapons in different settings i personally like the COD series the most but i did enjoy MOH a lot when it came out.

Nirkon said:

I didn't even know they were planning on 'rebooting' it...

I had quite a bit of fun with the MOH series so I guess ill be playing the next

one as well

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

OMG another FPS, OK send it in ... i shall check, well still was about time mr MOH for you to make a comeback, where were you? maybe scared of MW or BF:BC !!!

humm, let see if my wallet wants you now

cheers!

UT66 said:

Medal of hobo... super lame! Im sick of war games, generic macho shooters and killing hordes and hordes of brainless enemies ! im not 15 any more, this guys need to grow the fk up! Whats wrong with you EA? If i was in charge of EA, Ubiflop, Activision, i would....

1) fire all staff, close all the studios, keep top TECH and ART people

2) Hire Charlie Kaufman. ( no matter the price)

3) License the cryengine3

4) Make story driven games. With 0 killing.

5) Next move? Hire Tim Burton.

now get to it!

They just could not bury the series, could they? It's just another attempt to cash in on the success of COD: Modern Warfare. At least the COD guys had the decency to change the series name to Modern Warfare while keeping COD as a franchise. Imagine if COD 4: MW was just called COD again?

As a result, instead of those gas mask wearing, minigun carrying nazis from MOD: Airborne which take exactly 2 sniper head shots to kill, will we have some stereotypical middle eastern guys with turbants taking 30+ armour piercing rounds before falling down.

Stop glorifying war and get creative, start re-exploring/imitating some real franchises such as Deus Ex and Thief, which offered both belligerent and pacifist approaches to problem solving.

Serag said:

Great to know that DICE will take on the Multiplayer part..

EA going into Modern Wars theme is predicted...either through MoH or another new title..but its good cuz I guess everyone's sick of WWII..

drasho said:

havent played a medal of honor game in while... Im looking forward to see what gameplay is gonna be like =)

AbsolutGaloot said:

Interesting to see that "Modern" is the new bandwagon era for all the designers to put out endless games about. Hopefully it won't be as done to death as WW2 was.

Docnoq said:

I just hope that there is one good FPS released shortly. MW2 was supposed to be it, but they royally shafted PC gamers, so I refuse to buy it. I'm putting a lot of hope in Bad Company 2 as I really enjoyed BF2, but haven't played a BF game in awhile. Valve needs to get working on the next CS already and show all these clowns how it's done, imo.

lupinnktp said:

ooo, can't wait to play this game. hopefully it will be as good as the trailer looks! bad-ass!!

DarKSeeD DarKSeeD said:

You can't put Deus Ex and Thief in the same pot and the same thing is available for MoH.

Deus Ex, hmmm, action-RPG cyberpunk style game - waiting for Deus Ex 3 to appear.

Thief was a stealth series game and hopefully they will keep the same line in Thief 4.

As for MoH, why they can't break the line from WWII theme and go modern as COD:MW?

I'm pretty sure there are more good WWII stories to be turned into good games but it looks like people lost interest in that kind of games, especially with the zombies and paranormal things that don't normally belong in a WWII theme game.

As Deus Ex 3 and Thief 4 were mentioned did someone said System Shock (3)? Now that's a game I would like to play and NFS:Porsche. Different game types but so good at their time.

A little on and off here and there but since there are so many many games released at the end of the year I stop and wonder "When we will have time for them?"

buttus said:

I used to love the MOH series until COD really took over the WW2 shooter territory. I would very much like to see what they can bring to modern warfare.

levar said:

wow Medal of Honor is back! Last time I played a MOH game was on the GameCube I'm quite excited! Any clue on whether there will be any handheld releases PSP, DS... iphone ?

vfxraven19 said:

Keep in mind that the original MOHAA team is what makes Infinityward, which is why CODMW/MW2 is such a great game (and seller). Don't really know they have what it takes to pull it off, especially knowing that the last MOH game wasn't so good.

Rage_3K_Moiz Rage_3K_Moiz, Sith Lord, said:

The original Medal of Honor was the best IMO. The rest never got close to it, as much as they tried.

Hope they can rope in Spielberg for this one too...