Windows 7 Family Pack offer sold out, will it return?

By on December 8, 2009, 1:53 PM
Microsoft has officially "sold out" of the Windows 7 Home Premium Family Pack upgrade in the US. For the unfamiliar, the Family Pack offered a discount on three Windows 7 upgrade licenses ($150 for the entire Family Pack versus $110 for Home Premium upgrade one license -- a $180 savings).

When Microsoft first announced its plan to provide a Family Pack upgrade, the company said it would be a limited time offer, so this doesn't exactly come as a surprise. However, the news has left many folks to wonder whether the Family Pack is actually sold out or if the deal was simply ended. Some believe Microsoft will once again ship the Family Pack, but the software giant has not confirmed anything.

After attempting to get the scoop from Redmond, Ed Bott received a vague response. "The Windows 7 Family Pack was introduced as a limited time offer while supplies last in select geographies. Response has been very positive and in some cases, the offer has sold out. Customers interested in upgrading their PCs should purchase Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate upgrade products."

In the meantime, you can still purchase the Family Pack at a premium through sites like eBay and Amazon and still save a bit of cash.

The article states that you can still buy family pack 7 3x at a savings but I don't think you can considering the discounted price $80 at some spots for a single windows 7 home premium... good luck on the hunt....personally I think MS sucks for not continuing the sale of X3 family pack.

pomonasi said:

how can they "run out" of software? they ran of dvd burners or something? just a way for them to charge more for a product (although i did jump on the student upgrade for $30). loving W7 over Vista!

Timonius Timonius said:

Hopefully, with the deal being 'over' it will mean that Microsoft will lower the price on their OS. I wouldn't hesitate to switch if a win 7 upgrade was half the price for switching from xp pro.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Guess I should pick up a copy sooner than later, I was going to wait until the new year.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I got my copy of Windows 7 hp family pack, and I'm very pleased with it. Sam's had it displayed for $129 a couple weeks back... Not sure what it is now, or if they still have it.

pomonasi said:

Timonius said:

highly doubt they will lower their prices since it was launched very recently, not to mention thousands of people who have yet to change from XP/Vista.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

The "sell-out" was intentional to get people to become impatient and then run out and buy the over-priced upgrade or full install ones.

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Sure looks like this was marketing to get extra hype for Windows 7.

Hey hasn't Microsoft Learned anything Yet? Upgrading Software Price Sweet Spot is $50.00 and everone would do it.

I was Looking Forward to Buying the Windows 7 Family Pack release For 3 of My PC's Only to Find Out that All The Retailers Have Been bought out. Now Looking on EBay I Find Out the Reason For That is That Sellers Nation wide on EBay Have apparently Went Out & Bought up all of the Family Pack Software they could get their Hands on and they are Now Reselling the Windows 7 Family Pack [3 License] For Premium Prices on eBay There By Preventing Normal Retail Customers access to Microsoft's Windows 7 Family Pack Release for the Normal Retail Price. If this were Football Tickets It would be considered Scalping.

The Almost $300.00 Price is also Showing up on Amazom Now. Microsoft will lose money on this deal.

I am sure this is Not What Microsoft Original Intent was in releasing the Windows 7 Family Pack Software for Their Loyal Windows Users to be exposed to. I along with Other loyal Windows Users Would appreciate it if Microsoft would correct this wrong doing by these Greedy Sellers by denying them the ability to sell the Windows 7 Family Pack software for more than the Release Price or Microsoft Should Release more Copies to their normal Resellers so that it would deny these Greedy Sellers the ability to Rip off Microsoft's Loyal Customers. After all Microsoft and their Normal Retailes are Both loosing money on this deal because Most Loyal Microsoft Customers are Upset about this and probally wont upgrade 3 machines instead of leaving them Windows XP Or Lower.

I have told many of my friends about the New Windows 7 Family Pack along with me who have also not been able to get the Windows 7 Family Pack Software and whom can't afford to buy at this time at the Inflated eBay Seller Prices so they will only be able to buy a single License copy from a retailer for their most important machine if they do that at all. I also was going to buy a copy of Windows 7 Busines for my 4th Machine but I dought that I will be able to do that now.

$50 a copy for three copies is worth it. At $100 each, piracy becomes very attractive.

you are right, absolutely correct ! I have no idea what those people think in Microsoft. So sad !