OCZ shows external USB 3.0 SSD, new PSUs

By on January 8, 2010, 5:11 PM
Along with OCZ's upcoming Vertex 2, SAS and PCIe SSDs, the company has also unveiled a 2.5-inch USB 3.0 external SSD, a couple of power supplies. The portable SuperSpeed USB SSD features MLC flash memory in capacities of 64GB, 128GB and 256GB, is encased in aluminum, measures 56 x 120 x 10 millimeters, and weighs 87.7 grams.


The company's new PSUs include the 750W Fatal1ty, which features an 85% power efficiency, four +12V rails with a combined power of 650W, a 120mm fan, and is backed by a five-year warranty. The company also introduced its Mk II line, with units ranging from 500W to 950W. The latter boasts 88% power efficiency, over 83A on the +12V rail, and a 135mm double ball-bearing fans.

Some new DDR3 memory from the company has also seen at CES, among which is 2300MHz Reaper RAM.




User Comments: 4

Got something to say? Post a comment
raybay said:

How do they define 85% power efficiency and 88% power efficiency... against what standard ? What is special about 135 mm double ball-bearing fans, which can actually be more trouble than they are worth.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Power efficiency like the 80+ rating you see applied to many psu's is calculated at different power draws - 20%, 50% and 100%

So,for example if the PSU is rated at 85% efficiency then for a 750 watt power supply it can deliver 85% of the 750 watts ( 0.85 x 750 = 637.5 watts), the remaining 15% is converted into heat ( 112.5 watts)

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

The power draw is calculated at 20%, 50% and 100% of its rated power load and the lowest value is generally accepted as the power efficiency -although some manufacturers fudge the numbers by quoting only one of the three values- Hence the adoption of the 80+ certification:

80% power efficiency at 20, 50 and 100% = 80+ certification, so you need at least:

81/82% at 20% draw, 85% at 50% draw and 81/82% at 100% draw = 80+ Bronze cert.

85% at 20% draw, 88/89% at 50% draw and 85% at 100% draw = 80+ Silver cert.

87/88% at 20% draw, 90/92% at 50% draw and 87/88% at 100% draw = 80+ Gold cert.

90% at 20% draw, 94% at 50% draw and 91% at 100% draw = 80+ Platinum cert.

Fan size and capability is either an advertising ploy or because the power supply needs that much cooling (i.e. generates a lot of heat) and yes bb fans are usually noisy. Taking the PSU apart and replacing the fan with a fluid or electromagnetic drive will usually cure the problem)

I wouldn't recommend taking apart a PSU that has already been in use as the capacitors store a charge long after the power supply has laid dormant.

Sorry about the double post- hit the wrong button before- loooong day.

Regenweald said:

dividebyzero said:

The power draw is calculated at 20%, 50% and 100% of its rated power load and the lowest value is generally accepted as the power efficiency -although some manufacturers fudge the numbers by quoting only one of the three values- Hence the adoption of the 80+ certification:

80% power efficiency at 20, 50 and 100% = 80+ certification, so you need at least:

81/82% at 20% draw, 85% at 50% draw and 81/82% at 100% draw = 80+ Bronze cert.

85% at 20% draw, 88/89% at 50% draw and 85% at 100% draw = 80+ Silver cert.

87/88% at 20% draw, 90/92% at 50% draw and 87/88% at 100% draw = 80+ Gold cert.

90% at 20% draw, 94% at 50% draw and 91% at 100% draw = 80+ Platinum cert.

Fan size and capability is either an advertising ploy or because the power supply needs that much cooling (i.e. generates a lot of heat) and yes bb fans are usually noisy. Taking the PSU apart and replacing the fan with a fluid or electromagnetic drive will usually cure the problem)

I wouldn't recommend taking apart a PSU that has already been in use as the capacitors store a charge long after the power supply has laid dormant.

Sorry about the double post- hit the wrong button before- loooong day.

You just clarified a lot about psu tech for me. Thanks man

Load all comments...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.