Microsoft to launch 250GB Xbox 360 HDD next month

By on February 1, 2010, 4:26 PM
Microsoft announced today that it would begin selling a 250GB hard drive add-on for the Xbox 360 next month. On March 11, Japanese customers will be able to purchase the larger drive for 15,540 (about $172). Additionally, Microsoft will release the Wireless Controller Game Pack for 5,775 ($63) and the Xbox 360 Wireless N adapter for 8,925 ($98).

The company has packaged a 250GB drive with various special edition consoles in the past, but this marks the first time it will be sold as a standalone add-on. Avid gamers will surely welcome the extra storage space, as the Xbox 360 Elite only ships with a 120GB hard drive, which is quickly consumed by installing games, DLC, demos, and other downloadable media.

Unfortunately, the company is still overpricing its storage accessories. A 2.5-inch 250GB 5400RPM/7200RPM OEM drive costs $50 to $70 e-tail, so Microsoft charges quite a premium for its gigabytes.

It isn't clear if or when the 250GB drive will land in North America and Europe.

I saw that report in a Japanese channel via internet television ( LoggTV.com ) Japan always have all the exclusive products and special editions and we get the garbage.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

That is by far my biggest gripe with the 360. Overpriced add-ons & accessories, especially the HDD which I find rather ridiculous. While I'm happy they are finally releasing a 250gb model, I think they should be on a 500gb model by now especially considering how much they promote buying DLC or marketplace content.

BMfan BMfan said:

At Microsoft's price you would be able to buy a PS3 for the price of a 500gb hard drive.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

BMfan said:

lol...probably =( .

unrealmp3 unrealmp3 said:

If only they could allow a DIY enclosure, in which you install your self-supplied HDD into it.

So a 250GB PS3 which comes with Wi-Fi and wireless controllers costs $350 but to get that functionality on the Xbox 360 you have to pay for an elite +$172 + $98 + $63 and then you still don't even have a Bluray drive? Why are people still buying these? The 'exclusives' can be played on the PC. I guess some people like to play the console version instead of PC but it still seems a little illogical...

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Let's hope these overpriced pieces of crap never make it to Europe or the US. As referred to above, you could get a PS3 for the price of those 3 things.

shossofe shossofe said:

unrealmp3 said:

Then how would they earn any money?

yangly18 yangly18 said:

who actually uses up that much room on an xbox? I mean I have downloaded games, game demos, even some music on my system and I still can't fill up the 120G, oh and not to mention lots of game add-ons...

Staff
Jesse Jesse said:

I've used up about 100gb on my 120gb drive by installing games to it. I could easily fill it up if I installed all of my games.

Why does Japan get Microsoft products before we do?

EXCellR8 EXCellR8, The Conservative, said:

^because i'm sure they're the ones that are manufacturing the hard drives...

blu-ray movie downloads... and unfortunately downloaded Xbox game image files.

you're a *****. first of all, you wouldn't have to buy an elite to get 250gb storage, because you'd have an extra 120gb hdd that originally comes with the elite just laying around.

Secondly, people are buying the xbox because it's a superior gaming platform with amazing games and a first-rate "live" experience.

I get so sick of PS3 owners HARPING over the fact that they have blu-ray. Who cares?! In another year, you will be able to get a blu-ray player for $40-$50.

The playstation 3 has been out for a few years now, and there haven't been hardly ANY first-party games released on the system that make it stand out, unlike the playstation 2, which had TONS!

The playstation 3, I believe, marks the end of sony's participation in the hardware-side of the console wars. I believe they are going to go the way of sega and be a strictly software company, if that.

flocka said: