HP quietly intros $600 Core i3-equipped G62T laptop

By on February 4, 2010, 3:47 PM
HP has quietly slipped out a new laptop prepared to tackle everyday computing tasks, the G62T. At $600, the base unit offers a 15.6-inch 1366x768 LED display, an Intel Core i3-330M and integrated HD graphics, 2GB of DDR3 RAM (free upgrade to 3GB at the moment), a 160GB 7200RPM HDD, a DVD burner, a six-cell battery, and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Additional configuration choices include five other Core i3, i5, and i7 processors, up to 4GB of RAM, 250GB to 500GB of storage, a Blu-ray reader, Bluetooth, and a webcam. The G62T houses the usual round of connectivity, such as (optional) HDMI, VGA, Ethernet, wireless-N, three USB 2.0 ports, an optional media card reader, as well as headphone and mic jacks.

HP claims the G62T offers "all of what you need, [and] nothing you don't," and I think that's a fair statement for the average user. It's worth noting that coupons are readily available, and that sweetens the deal.

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

looks like a nice starter laptop, and one i might recommend to family members.

Regenweald said:

I dunno, right now, I have zero faith in the HP brand. A friend of mine has seen no end of hell with a dv5 series and right after that was the infamous failure rate report. Asus or MSI for me. I'll stick to manufacturers and not assemblers.

jboryczka said:

Why would I want to buy this, when I could have an iPad for $499?

Because an Ipad is a glorified ipod touch. NOT A COMPUTER

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

Why would I want to buy this, when I could have an iPad for $499?

Interestingly, I think most would ask the opposite: Why would I want to buy an iPad when I could have this for $599?

unrealmp3 unrealmp3 said:

I'm currently using the new DM series and they works pretty well.

Also, yay for aluminium-magnesium casing