Logitech keyboard, mouse combo touts 3-year battery

By on February 10, 2010, 1:08 PM
Logitech has launched a new keyboard and mouse combo that raises the bar in power efficiency. The Wireless Desktop MK710 boasts a three-year battery life per device -- an industry first, the company claims. Both peripherals transmit data more quickly and efficiently using the company's 2.4GHz RF adapter, and the amount of time they are left in active mode when idle has been reduced.

What exactly constitutes three years of use, though? Logitech says the keyboard is good for about two million keystrokes per year in an office environment, and the mouse's juice will vary between users and computing conditions.

The combo uses Logitech's itty-bitty Unifying receiver to minimize clutter. Keyboard features include a low-profile design with concave keys, Windows shortcuts on the F-keys, media buttons, a cushioned palm rest, an LCD display for caps lock, scroll lock, num lock, and battery life. The mouse boasts "hyper-fast scrolling," and 128-bit AES encryption.

The Logitech Wireless Desktop MK710 will ship to Europe sometime this month and should arrive stateside in April with a suggested retail price of $99.99.

viperpfl said:

I wonder if they tested this in real life conditions? I currently have a Logitech laser wireless mouse and the battery life is suppose to last about 15 months. Battery life don't come way near to that.

InsaneVr6 said:

Very impressive but people boast battery life and then when people acually get them they never last that long.

Also noticed that the title says 3 years and the post says "3 hours". TYPO. =)

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Theres a spelling mistake! well a mistake anyway, "The Wireless Desktop MK710 boasts a three-hour battery life" only 3 hours?? mine lasts longer than that! =)

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

Haha, isn't that the pinnacle of innovation? Three-hour battery life? Thanks for pointing that out, it's fixed.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

No Probs =) although i've done some more searching on it and it looks sexy! since my mouse and keyboard are old (2001) and sounding louder than a hoover. i think I may get these.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

I have had a LX-7 Mouse for somewhere around 4 years now and I don't think I've replaced the batteries more than twice (so 3 sets). I'm pretty happy about that, 3 years is better obviously, but at that point you may be reaching into normal power degradation of the battery whether it is in use or not. Perhaps research money could have been spent on something a little more worthwhile.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Wow if the batteries lasted even 1 1/2 years I would be impressed. I always thought mine did ok for a walmart special wireless keyboard the 2 AA it uses last about 6-9 months.