Weekend Open Forum: What's your preferred mobile phone platform and handset?

By on February 19, 2010, 11:41 PM
In the past three years we've seen a number of new smartphone operating systems burst onto the scene. From Apple's wildly successful iPhone OS, to Google's increasingly popular Android and Palm's praised yet still floundering WebOS -- to name a few. Microsoft is no stranger to the market either, but just recently the company took a radical departure from its previous business-centered strategy and unveiled what looks to be a potentially solid contender in the consumer space: the Windows Phone 7 Series.

All of them are characterized for powering a new generation of touch-driven, fast and feature-rich devices that evermore seem to be turning into pocket-sized computers. The fact that three of the most significant companies in desktop computing -- Apple, Google and Microsoft -- now stand to occupy the same positions in mobile is a clear indication of where the industry is going.

Others like Nokia and RIM have arguably been a bit slower to adapt to the latest trends -- or have preferred to focus their efforts on a particular niche -- but still command an undeniable large portion of the cell phone market. Like them there are also a number of big-name industry players peddling their own platforms and hardware, including Samsung, Sony Ericsson, Motorola, Toshiba, HTC and LG Electronics.

In this edition of our Weekend Open Forum we want to know what kind of device you are currently using. Have you jumped into the smartphone and mobile app craze? Are you more of the business user type? Or perhaps you are comfortable with anything that can make a simple phone call? Feel free to share what you love or hate about your current hardware and mobile platform, as well as any plans for your next purchase.

Recycle said:

Still got an AT&T Tilt with Windows Mobile 6.1.

With no data plan, I'm stuck with SMS and wifi as my primary means of non-call usage.

Looked into the Tilt 2, but I'm holding out for WM7 or AT&T to stock an Android phone. Regardless, looking for an HTC as my next purchase.

..Also looking to see if I can drop AT&T and find a better provider, but there's still some time left on the contract

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

LOL...I have a pre-paid phone from Virgin for personal use. Work has issued me a Blackberry Curve though - which I never use unless I have to.

E-mail is my preferred method of communication.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Sony Ericsson T715, its just a phone and thats the way I like it.

IvanAwfulitch IvanAwfulitch said:

My ideal phone? A T-mobile Sidekick post-product recall. I just like the way it's organized. A nice big screen to see what you're doing, a full keyboard, the screen then covers the buttons so you don't pocket-dial, and it's from T-mobile which is my current service provider. Anything else that's good about it is a side-bonus. In a way I agree with the sentiment that Adhmuz provided. As long as it's a phone, and it has that keyboard, I'm good. My current phone is a samsung brick with several buttons that are going dead.

As far as anything else goes, I've got an iPod Touch. Music, internet, basic games to play, podcasts, and youtube. I'm set after I get a sidekick.

Punkid said:

Symbian, its open, lots of apps, ive got a sony ericsson 2960, great audio quality, camera is fine, its got wifi and thats pretty much all i need

Reloader2 said:

Apple iPhone. Because it does what I need it to.

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

Symbian, I love it

I've got a Nokia N82 with these games on it that run great;

Quake 1, 2 & 3

Duke Nukem 3D (I've actually played through the whole first episode on the phone!)

Shadow Warrior

GPFce (NES 8bit emulator with many good old classics like Super Mario Bros, Castlevania, Zelda and others)

ScummVM (An emulator) with these games;

Day of the Tentacle

Full Throttle

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

Sam & Max Hit the Road

Especially Duke3D and all the ScummVM games hold a great sentimental value to me, I play them whenever I am somewhere waiting for something having nothing to do...

Can you tell I'm getting old? :P

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

@TomSEA, I also use a prepaid Virgin phone for personal use. Since I don't talk very much on it, $20/200 minutes usually lasts me all month.

I've been considering getting an upgrade though, because I miss checking my email from my phone, so I've been eyeballing the Nexus One.

At home, I use a couple skype phones.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Have mostly used Symbian or WinMo phones during last 10-12+ years, sometimes I use my phone's for surfing (provided that at that time I am lazy enough and want to avoid turning on my PC or notebook lol), but mostly for calls & email.

Only once I tried to use Sony Ericson whatever it was (dont remember model number).

DeadSoul DeadSoul said:

Sony Ericsson T700, a standard mobile phone and its own OS with some acoustic modifications

nokia and maemo and megoo

Still have a Nokia 5800 Xpress, but oh so bad it is. Everything taken for granted is no longer there. Piece of crap phone. I'm already in he process of canceling the purchase, so to speak. Then I'll go back to the old, nice, foldable nokia phones.

I think GPS and WAP are enough for me... with all the other things we take for granted, of course, such as SMS/MMS/Caldenar, etc.

Down with touch.

Can't say I like the new operating systems very much either. No hands-on experience, but I cannot say Chrome will be any good. It sounds just plain nonsense. And I will always like operating systems whose API are Native C++ before any other.

JudaZ said:

Nokia with symbian is far the best in my opinion.

iPhone is to locked down and restrictive ...and the hardware is to outdated for me.

My N95 does all i need and then some .. looking to buy a N900 though.

"Nokia and RIM have arguably been a bit slower to adapt to the latest trends "

Bullshit...what trends...they could and can do "all these trends" before the iPhone was even released...

NeoFlux said:

Recently upgraded old SE W950 (Symbian UIQ) with HTC Tatoo. Got to say I'm in love with Android, can't imagine better phone OS for my needs.

wow no love for the droid and android. i just got one last month it's the best phone i've ever had. i can't stay off of it. it's fast, multitasks like a dream, intuitive, heck even my wife yesterday just picked it up to check her work schedule and figured it out. that's saying alot :)

Chazz said:

I'm eyeballing the sony ericsson Vivaz. It comes out this year, though I'm iffy on symbian. I think I'd prefer android. This will be my first smart phone so I'll have to research and see if it's plausible to change your OS.

kissx kissx said:

i have a samsung blackjack 2 with windows mobile 6.1. i'm not very happy with it, i'm looking to get the droid or iphone this summer.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Nokia with symbian is far the best in my opinion.

My N95 does all i need and then some .. looking to buy a N900 though.

"Nokia and RIM have arguably been a bit slower to adapt to the latest trends "

Correct; my Omnia beats iphone hands down in quality of playback and many other tasks i throw at it

HaMsTeYr HaMsTeYr said:

Sony ericsson w705 infact, this post in being sent using the phone's built in wifi. I love simple phones and I am not really a fan of small sized full qwerty keypad.

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

I switched from At&T using a Motorola V3 Razr to Verizon and an LG Env 3. The difference in phone and network quality for me has been astounding. Granted the V3 Razr is quit dated, but I text a lot and having a QWERTY keyboard is great. This phone has one of the best keyboards I have ever used on a phone. It's too bad non VZW customers get my texts in multiple messages if they exceed 160 chars. The camera is decent and with an 8GB Micro SD card I can easily access my pics and media on phone and computer. I also get much better reception, particularly at work, so I am very happy about that. The OS included allows for a lot of customization with shortcuts, even if there are a few quirks about the overall design. If I could choose another phone for free I'd be interested in the Nokia E90, and I love the idea behind the Sonim XP2.10

fitzy75 said:

I used to stick with Nokia's up until 2005 when I switched to Windows Mobile and since then I have never looked back.

My first device was a HTC TyTn II with WinMobile 6.1 then last year upgraded to HTC Diamond which originally had WinMobile 6.1 as well, but I later flashed to a WinMobile 6.5 ROM from XDA Developers.

My next intended upgrade will be a HTC Touch HD2 which seems like a solid, fast and usable device which should keep me happy for another few years

poertner_1274 poertner_1274, secroF laicepS topShceT, said:

I've had many smartphones over the years, and right now I am using the Blackberry Storm on Verizon. It's a work issued phone, so my choices are limited if I want to use the Blackberry Server to get my work email.

That being said, I do very much enjoy this phone.

AlExAkE said:

Well I currently have AT&T as my mobile provider and the phone I own is Sony Ericsson W810i, which I've been extremely happy with. However I'm looking into HTC HD2 which is widely used for its internet and social network capabilities. However, the unlocked version from Europe wont work with the 3G on AT&T, neither will the coming up HTC HD2 T-Mobile version... so I'm stuck for now. I'm looking for a resolution, if anyone has one please post.

P.S. I've known some Australian carrier Telstra has that phone at 850MhZ for 3G, but costs like 33% more ~ $950 USD.

AlExAkE said:

Who is your phone provider? HTC HD2 wont work in the USA with anything but T-Mobile and only if u use their service, unless u spend $950 for unlocked version of Telstra

AlExAkE said:

fitzy75 said:

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

We got company-mandated Verizon crackberries, so that's what I've been using for the last few years. I've got a few friends with Android phones (Droid and Nexus One) and really like how they look and feel, much less restrictive than the iPhone in terms of apps and possibilities. But, alas, Android is lagging in the well-integrated corporate Exchange email arena, so our hopes of moving to Android were squashed this go-round. Our entire fleet of phones was up for the "new every 2" Verizon plan, so now I've got a shiny new Blackberry Tour to get used to... But I'm thankful that I got away from that horrid Pearl I've been using - yay for a full keyboard!

On a side note, I was pleased to see that RIM is giving away a small business version of its Exchange push server, and that Verizon is going to support Skype on the Blackberry through its 3G network... A few positives to help me stay happy with my BB.

I use a Nokia E71, very good phone with everything i need plus explendid battery time.

The touch mania is for girlies and young people that has nothing to do.

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

i have the at&t tilt 2 with a custom energy leo rom on it

Regenweald said:

Whenever I do get a smartphone, I think it'll be an ARM based Nokia device running MeeGo. Can't wait to see what Intel and Nokia do with the platform

iPhone 3GS in my area its fast. I play games, listen to music and surf the web with it. Oh, I also make phone calls too :) . 32g is also plenty for me. However, I want it to do a little more better. I'm not really happy with the email and still pine for a stylus as I can write faster than peck on those small virtual keyboards. I want better support for bluetooth, and an extended warranty shouldn't be so expensive. Aside from that all in all I'm pretty happy with it. I find it useful and fun.

android ftw

forgot my phone. Nexus One

jtickner1 jtickner1, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I haven't jumped into the touch-screen phone market yet, plan to soon though. So my favourite platform is Sony Ericsson's OS they use on nearly all of their phones, and handset would be any good SE Walkman phone. I have a W705i at the moment and I love it. It's my second SE, my first being a Z550i (easily one of the most reliable/tough phones I've ever had). I've tried a lot of other standard mobile phone OS' but nothing comes close to the SE one in my opinion.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I have a v3 Razr (3rd one actually - but I really like them) on CellularOne's Network. Used to be on a local smaller company network that just did my state, but they got bought out by CellularOne. Only really make calls on my phone - just recently got text messanging. I still have an old 300 day / 1000 night & weekend plan from 5 years ago or so, and that's all I need.

I have to say tho, I used to own a sony ericsson, not one of their smart phones tho, just a regular flip phone, and I have never had worse service than with that phone. Switch from that sony ericsson to a used v3 my roommate sold me for $10, and my reception increased at least 2 fold.

So far in my life I have used LG, Sony and Motorola phones, I from my experience I get the best service with Motorola phones and the seem to last the longest. Had one old Motorola that I lost in a snow bank over night and it still worked after it thawed out. In fact that was the first phone I ever had and it still turns on .

I don't really have any use for a smart phone since I don't really travel. I am either at home, at work, or maybe visiting a buddy for a few days, and can used my laptop or psp off of my or a friends wireless.

I still prefer my iPhone 3Gs, but not really for the official apps. I jailbreak my iPhone and it makes my phone so amazing. I can do almost anything now with it.

Had the underground market for the iPhone not been this developed, I probably would have gone to a google phone. But, with the under ground apps and the iPhone's specs, it does a good job at handling multiple tasks simultaneously, which makes the functionality of my phone sky high.

IĀ'm posting this using my nokia 5800, great value phone considering how much I paid for it with lots of app, wifi, 3g, gps but some times a little bit slow for my test. Looking forward to get a hands on with MAEMO OS.

DJ83 said:

Per you got excellent taste, I had an n82, am using a BB 9000 at the moment, and it just does not compare. Can't wait to get my nokia back. It is the swiss army knife of phones, does just about everything... without sacrificing on call quality.

jmacguire said:

I have my Nokia N8 and It has a features which I want in my personal phone.