Asus intros first networked media player with USB 3.0

By on March 3, 2010, 6:23 PM
Asus has quietly introduced a third member to the O!Play family at CeBIT. Although its specifications are mostly unknown, the O!Play HD2 is billed as the first networked media player to carry SuperSpeed USB 3.0. The company promises a "wealth of cloud infotainment," including access to more than 20,000 digital radio and 100 Internet TV channels.

Visible front-mounted connections include USB, eSATA, and memory card slots, while composite video is likely to be on the rear. As with O!Play systems before it, the HD2 should be able to feed 1080p HD video over a user's home network via Ethernet or over 802.11 Wi-Fi. It also boasts complete HD audio bit stream support for uncompressed 7.1-channel sound output, and is reportedly outfitted with a 3.5-inch hard drive.

Unfortunately, that's all Asus is willing to share for now, and there is no word on a release date or price.

elroacho72 said:

I wounder if it will have a web browser?

ruzveh said:

Hi Techspot, i want somebody to inform Asus to take one feedback on upcoming models of media player. The latest media player is good with USB 3.0 + i want Asus to provide space for internal Drive for inserting bluray or dvd player so that we can build full all in one system for my TV set along with support of Tegra 2 chipset .. wow that will be my dream media player box. Till now i m not satisfied with any media player from any vender and want to buy one soon.

stbecker said:

Interesting. I would like to know if it's comparable to the other media devices in price. Guess I'll keep watching...

princeton princeton said:

Thats quite interesting. I hope we get more info and a release date sometime soon.

klpowell said:

I would like to know what the Internet TV stations are, my guess it is things like Cnet tv, Revision3, and the like. It woudl be really nice if some of the large content providers would sell access to their cable feeds over these type of devices.

JMMD JMMD, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Looks like a nice media player, cost would be an important factor for me.

fref said:

I was about to go out and buy one of the previous model in the next few days. I might wait for this one instead. I guess it will depend on the price though, because I don't need a hard drive, I already have a NAS. I hope the hard drive will be optional.

bigclick said:

I dont think its in my near future, but the 3.0 is a good step. I guess they are going to push a lot of data. Just too soon to commit.

Buy the popcornhour media player it has everything but a browser.