USB-IF certifies 50 SuperSpeed USB 3.0 products

By on March 3, 2010, 1:33 PM
The floodgates are officially open, folks. Companies around the globe have introduced a range USB 3.0 products, and more are on the way. The USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF) has certified 50 SuperSpeed USB products, including motherboards, notebooks, external storage devices, storage controllers, PCI Express and ExpressCard add-in cards, hard disk drives, and device-enabling silicon.

"The wave of consumer products passing SuperSpeed USB compliance and certification this quarter is extraordinary," said USB-IF chairman Jeff Ravencraft. We've covered a large number of the launches along the way, but of the 50 "certified" items, only 45 are listed on the outfit's site. That means that at least five certified USB 3.0-equipped electronics have yet to debut.

In case you're a bit late to the show, USB 3.0 brings quicker data rates, higher energy efficiency, and increased power delivery. To learn more, read our overview of the ever-ubiquitous interface.

Timonius Timonius said:

I wouldn't mind seeing an mp3 player with usb 3.0 soon.

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

So, would it be possible to stream a Blu-ray movie over one of these cables?

pyari said:

can't wait to use it to copy paste large files.......data storage is rapidly changing our life style.......big and big files are needed for day to day works.....so usb 3 would be easier to have one.

fref said:

And Intel is still not moving as far as USB 3.0 is concerned... Their decision just doesn't make sense.

InsaneVr6 said:

Intel apparently won't have USB 3.0 items until next year. Which is sad, but I always liked Intel so I can wait until I see what they release.

I recently did a backup of my computer on an external HD and I would of liked to have USB 3.0 because it would have went SO much faster.

Guess I just have to wait.

Renegeek said:

I belive i saw a pci card, to get the usb 3.0. and also with mp3, dig camra's and other devices would be so cool... to have this speed... and people with USB video devices, that would be sweet.

levar said:

Nice wonder if they're any AMD mobo's that's using Superspeed and support Phenon II chips, lemme start searching. I can't wait to start seeing USB3.0 drives in walmart on the PSP, on media devices of sorts.

You could stream many movies at the same time over this cable.