Ubisoft's "always-connected" DRM cracked in one day?

By on March 4, 2010, 4:46 PM
Ubisoft's new "always connected" DRM scheme launched alongside its WWII naval war simulator Silent Hunter 5 this week, and it may have flopped big time. The mechanism, if you haven't heard, requires a constant connection to Ubisoft's servers -- even on single player titles. When that connection is severed, gameplay halts and unsaved progress is potentially lost.

Most gamers resent the developer for relying on such draconian tactics, but a handful have made a reasonable point. They argue that while the DRM will inevitably be cracked, it would hinder pirates long enough to boost launch sales. Well, it seems that may not be the case. Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic was reportedly cracked and uploaded on Tuesday -- the first day of sales.

In a quick response, Ubisoft said the new DRM has not been foiled yet. "You have probably seen rumors on the web that Assassinís Creed II and Silent Hunter 5 have been cracked. Please know that this rumor is false and while a pirated version may seem to be complete at start up, any gamer who downloads and plays a cracked version will find that their version is not complete."

The developer's statement does hold some truth. Although a few pirates report the game works just fine, Ubisoft contests that it is "not complete" without the DRM. The company has not elaborated on precisely what is "missing" in the illegal version of Silent Hunter 5, but many downloaders say they cannot make it beyond the first campaign mission.

Some suggest that Ubisoft has stored essential game files on its servers, and obviously, they can only be retrieved with a legitimate version of Silent Hunter 5. However, if that is the case, how long before hackers get their hands on those files and use them in a pirated copy?

KG363 KG363 said:

DRM makes me sick. It only punishes those who purchase the game. And Pirates will ALWAYS crack the game even if they have to buy a legit copy of hack the server. It will happen. They are only delaying the inevitable. I know that I will not be buying Assassin's Creed 2 only because of the DRM.

Timonius Timonius said:

Create a bigger and better safe and the you attract the attention of the bigger and better safecrackers just for the challenge (if not for spite).

Decimae said:

This one was already cracked(because they stored savegames locally too!), which is fully functional, except of course the online savegame function. And ACII has a pirated copy, too, though that's not fully functional. It won't take long until that gets hacked.

princeton princeton said:

Well hopefully these money pinching developers will get smart and realize that DRM will never work.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I've been playing Silent Hunter V for three days. The DRM has been virtually unnoticeable. You get a little pop-up at the beginning stating "saved games are being synched" and you never see it again. So as far as impacting game play, it's a non-issue.

I've also heard that those who have claimed to crack it really haven't - which doesn't surprise me as the cracker groups are always going to want to claim the first to "victory" in cracking a game. Especially a well-publicized one like this. It's like when a particularly nasty terrorist bombing occurs, 20 different groups claim to be the ones who did it.

Now having said that, SHV has turned out to be a pretty bad game. Very buggy, clunky interface and nothing like it's award winning precedessors SHIII and SHIV. If you go to the subsim.com forum boards, no one is talking about the DRM - its just not a problem. They're all talking about the game issues.

Lastly, if you want specifics about this particular DRM, Koroush Ghazi of TweakGuides.com has published a short article on Assasin's Creed 2 and the DRM, showing a step-by-step of the installation. An interesting read:

Afroaggie said:

I understand that these game programmers want to keep all the hard work that they have done and reap all the benefits from their sweat, but seeing as I am one of those guys who has a 28.8 k connection because broadband isn't available out in the boonies I see this DRM being faulty. Especially because any time someone picks up the phone in the house I get disconnected and BAM no saved game. I know I am not the only one who has to deal with this problem and having to call back home at all times is why I will not be able to support the hard working game developers. I have to just wait till I get broadband out here (or a second phone line so I can have a constant connection) to be able to enjoy these games.

Armanian said:

One day DRM will be a thing of the past, companies that like to overcharge people for small things will one day learn that it doesn't work.

I just dont know why they dont just hand copies of the games out for free, because as soon as its released its gonna get cracked. Although some poor sucker will buy the game legit.

My issue with this kind of DRAM is the same as it's always been about 6 times a day I'll losses my internet connection for 5 mins "I live in the middle of no were, I'm still amazed I can even get 3MB/ps DSL here." And the last thing I want is my game to NOT SAVE because I lost my Internet. + Most of the time I play games its during the time when my Internet is out!

So THE LEAST they can do is wait tell 95+% of the USA has reliable Internet.

Even when I lived in a "bigger city" (PoP:50,000) Most people there lost Internet connection on DSL/Cable/SAT and CELL for hours each day.

The current state of rural Internet is a BAD joke for stuff like this to be being pushed.

Regenweald said:

Exactly as above. this DRM is ****. So if you have no internet or a dinkey connection, screw you ? Spend more money making better games, there will always be pirates, but a lot of people actually like their own original copy.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Is anyone really surprised by this? Even if it's not a complete crack it will be eventually. And way to be even more anti-consumer if its true they are storing essential files server-side. Why not just advertise the game as renting for life at full-price (requires 100% internet)!

I see you've moved on from your criminal analogy to a terrorist one....way to be even more disingenuous. While I understand the point you're trying to make, there are better ways to do it.

And I feel bad for you guys who live out in rural areas...especially since your service is bad or non-existent. And major broadband providers just don't care and move along .

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

No offense taken, Relic.

Hey - you guys all bummed about DRM? Quit stealing the games. That's why DRM exists and will become even more aggressive if this one doesn't work. It's as simple as that.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

TomSEA said:

No offense taken, Relic.

Wasn't trying to be offensive but hyperbole gets to me sometimes .

You're right, DRM is there to prevent digital "theft". But even if it all disappears (which we know it wont), publishers will still keep the DRM. It gives them control to an on/off switch on any game/IP they own. And they can choose to shut out communities like modders entirely if they want to push DLC onto everyone. Piracy is a reason, but not the only one...I hope you see this.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I do, Relic. But the DRM we would experience if there were no or minimal theft would be inconsequential. Basically back to the "enter in a unique key code" and that's a wrap. I'm pretty sure no one would be too upset over that. Plus I've never know any company to use DRM as an "on/off" switch to control a game at their whim. I could be mistaken and willing to listen to examples, but I've been gaming for a long, LONG time and can't recall any gaming company doing that. They wouldn't last long if they did.

These recent invasive DRM's we're experiencing now are truly for one reason only - to circumvent theft until they can make a profit. These crackers and thieves who are using it as a battle cry to do even more theft are just shooting themselves (and us PC gaming enthusiasts) in the foot. PC gaming theft is so rampant now that we really are going to eventually lose it to all consoles if something doesn't happen.

And I really don't want to go down that road.

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

i really think this new drm is a total load of bs some people have internet connections that fail often i for one would be in a foul mood if it happened to me no matter what drm is used hackers will find a way to ruin the developers day. in all honesty hackers have ruined gaming on the pc.

buttus said:

This is a difficult area for me. I HATE DRM myself...however, I can also respect the development houses need to protect their work. I have always been of the mindset that if it is a good game I will buy it. Unfortunately though 90% of the games I have downloaded are utter crap and are removed from my system shortly after I install it. The other 10% though I do buy. If someone could develop a universal DRM tool to be cross platform then I would be all ears. Ubisofts solution though causes more problems then it solves.

darkjeric said:

@TomSEA: Of course that would solve it all. But DRM is just the wrong answer to piracy. In 2009 I bought 24 games in physical form, of which 17 had DRM in them requiring me to install some crappy piece of software on my system that would constantly monitor if I was indeed using a legal version. You know what I did? I canceled setup, downloaded a pirated version of each of those games and happily played them without DRM.

When will those developers ever realize that DRM only hurts the people that get the product with DRM in it, ergo, the legal customers that actually paid for your product? For hackers, it's like a more challenging bonus when they get it cracked, and usually it only takes hours instead of minutes. For downloaders, it's still free and they only had to wait a couple of hours longer, plus they get the added benefit of the stripped-out DRM. Too bad for those suckers that paid for the legal version, wouldn't you say?

I see the same with every movie I buy on DVD. There are several unskippable commercials and warnings on those legally purchased discs about how piracy kills the business and you can get prosecuted for piracy.

While I understand this point and I'm convinced that everyone should be rewarded for their hard work (I'm a musician myself), the content creators should also understand this: The fact that I'm seeing those warnings means I just bought the content legally, so I'm clearly not the target. Those warnings are the first thing pirates cut out of their versions, so someone that just downloaded a free illegal copy of a movie actually gets a better experience than myself who paid cash for it (money that I also earned through hard work, you know). That doesn't make the downloader less illegal, but it does make me look more stupid.

There's one sentence that keeps popping back into my head (I don't remember exactly where I heard it first): 'If DRM is the answer, you just asked the wrong question.'

One answer in my eyes are services like Steam or GoG. Sure, there's DRM and copy-control there too, but it's totally seamless (at least it has been for me) and the integrated service itself adds lots of features you'd miss when playing a pirated copy. I even bought some games I already had during Steam sales, just so I could reinstall them after reformatting with one 'Download&Install' click.

I think to get rid of piracy (or most of it, it'll never be wiped out completely, just like crime in general) you need to do three things right (in order of importance):

1) Give extra features, like a well integrated web service, to legal customers. But don't make the game solely dependent from it like Ubisoft is doing. I think Blizzard is on to something with their major refresh of Battle.net for example. It's a whole butload of handy stuff, but it's all optional as well.

DLC also started off as a promising way of extra benefits for legal buyers, but it has become just another milk-cow of the developers.

2) Try to cripple illegal versions as much as you can. I remember The Sims 2 for example, where not a single illegal version had the build-mode available. I still don't understand how they did it, but it was a stroke of genius! Sure, you could play the game, but without the building mode The Sims is quite pointless.

In a shooter, this could be implemented by making the guns not function or something, making you defenseless. But how to do this, heck I'm not enough of a programmer for that :-)

In a lesser ideal situation, you could release a pirated version of your own game, but totally soaked in spyware/viruses. Just make sure you flood the download-channels (like torrents and newsgroups) with it and that the version includes a notice that the game was illegally obtained. This notice is to make sure that people don't start believing your game has spyware in it and going online telling it to everybody making sales even lower (which is a risk, that's what I meant with lesser ideal).

3) Don't overdo your prices. Game development costs money, I get it. But ?75 for Assassin's Creed 2 on Xbox 360? I'm sorry, but I just won't pay that much. I'll just wait and pick it up for ?29 later. The most outrageous thing is that with every new medium/platform, games have gotten more expensive while the actual product you get in your hands is cheaper to manufacture. VHS tapes were pretty expensive to make, yet didn't cost as much as DVD's do now. And Blu-Ray's are even more expensive! But mainly, I get mad when I see a game on Steam costing more than the physical version in a store around the corner.

Just look at Steam sales skyrocketing when there's a sale. And I'm one (or actually several) records in those statistics :-p

Ultimately, piracy is something that will never go away. But people download for several reasons. Some download because they simply don't have the money to purchase each game (like teenagers), some download because it's convenient and easy (just look at how succesfull Steam is, or console gaming!) and others download just because they don't want to pay. My gut feeling (I strongly believe in mankind's goodness, how naive of me, I know) tells me the first two groups are both bigger than the third one. So if you can address those first two groups, you've already regained more than half of the illegal users.

flukeh said:

TomSEA said:

And I really don't want to go down that road.

Console Piracy is on the up and up. Every person I know that has a console has rarely bought any games for it. Mostly Wii, But 360 and PS3 aswell. Maybe making the games a little cheaper will sell more titles?

DryIce said:

DRM that requires you to be constantly connected to the internet is not a good idea. I would not be able to play these games because my internet connection frequently gets disrupted by construction in the area. I don't believe Ubisoft will save more money than they lose over this.

tonylukac said:

Why is everyone wrongly complaining about their internet connection going down? Mine hasn't gone down for 2 years at a time (AT&T DSL). Sort of like the Techspot servers. Also, with all this complaining about bad internet, I guess you'll never write about streaming video again. You make me jealous. Who can afford the $55 cable connection? Rent your movies at Redbox (I'll say 40 of them). Time to get frugal. "The former world has passed away."

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

Well said. I honestly don't believe most people pirate games or other media to be malicious, at least not entirely. Sure, getting something for "free" is fantastic, but when it's "free," easier to obtain, and runs cleaner (sans DRM and so on) it becomes much more tempting.

cyrusjumpjet cyrusjumpjet said:

It cracks me up how confident UbiSoft is in this. I wonder how stupid they feel when their newly-DRM'd games are still downloaded by pirates by the millions.

InsaneVr6 said:

Things like this make me turn to console games. PC games always have DRM problems which usually end up ruining the game all together.

Of course you can't blame companies like Ubisoft for trying to stop people from pirating their games, but it really is inevitable before everybody and their mom has a copy of the game cracked.

Zenphic said:

When I buy a game and play the single player mode, I prefer to have the game stay off the Internet thank you very much.

I miss those old gaming days when you could install games without serial numbers or online activation processes.

UT66 said:

Hey ubi, your games are beyond mediocre, just terrible garbage, ( avtivision like trash) i don't even want to play them for FREE!!! Patrice Jade and all the other "creative minds" over there are the BEST copy protection scheme, just keep pushing the violence and focus on he console kids AND DONT WORRY. we dont want your garbage ! sign: superior pc master race.

Recipe7 Recipe7 said:

This DRM by Ubisoft will hardly deter pirates. Their software won't be foiled today, maybe not tomorrow, but eventually. And if history tells us anything, it will just be a matter of days.

skitzo_zac skitzo_zac, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Really not suprising to see it cracked so soon. And it's incomplete without DRM I would of thought it would be the other way around, it's incomplete if it DOES include DRM :p

Still not buying or pirating anything with this sort of DRM included, not that I am interested in any of the games announced to include this new DRM anyway.

By making the game harder to crack they are simply encouraging people to hack it just so they can have bragging rights. Everybody n\knows hackers love a challenge.

Yoda8232 said:

DRM sucks and only hurts the people who buy the products, pirates will always find a way to crack anything. Steam is the only way.

Clrabbit said:

I gotta agree with the guy that said, get rid of DRM and just give cool Online stuff to legit players. I mean thats the best reason to buy games like Sacred 2, sure it's easy to crack and play offline, but really why bother when you buy it and play online. Sense only 2 copies of the key can be used for online play at a time although, I think it should be 4 copies at a time for a whole family, kind of sucks to have to buy 2 games for every body to play a 4 player game together.

shoeseat said:

i heard they updated their DRM to v1.1 after the crack and calming that user will be left with unfinished games with the crack.i think UBI is losing money with annoyed real customers deciding not to buy this DRM crap games than pirates who download the games(and i guess they won't buy it anyway,DRM or not).

Alster37 Alster37 said:

I think this DRM is going to cause a lot of trouble with pc owners who have patchy wireless networks. I get them occationally, a 2-3 stage where the internet is unresponsive so every time im going to get somewhere in the game, internet goes out for a few seconds and Ive lost all my progress. utterly pointless

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

And I really don't want to go down that road.

Gaming for a LONG time was as you describe, just recently did the harsh DRM show up. You're right pirates were a catalyst for it, but now that companies see the power and control they have I don't see them giving it up because it's the right thing to do and customers are asking them too. Look at EA a couple months ago who announced that they are shutting down some rather newer sports games (PC/360/PS3). Shutting down servers isn't anything new and has been around forever that's what happens when games fade away. Usually though communities have the ability to step up and keep it going. With DRM and the way control is being taken away from PC gamers I fear a dangerous precedent will be set where that's no longer possible. One that turns our PC's closer to a closed system like consoles where we lose control. To blame it all on pirates and say there isn't an ulterior motive is a bit naive.

Here is also an interesting blog from Brad Wardell, CEO of Stardock [link] who sees a problem with blaming pirates and business angles other companies take.

I pirate movies (often) and games (rarely) because of convenience. Living in China it's hard to get anything real anyway, and sometimes hard to get games in English. I have, however, bought 20 PS3 games in the last couple of years since I can get real copies of those games (and hopefully the PS3 doesn't get cracked or those real copies will disappear and I'll either have to wait until my next trip to Canada or buy fakes which will probably be broken into several DVDs).

If I lived in Canada I might not pirate at all, since I could rent movies. Living here in China I pirate about 10 movies a month, plus a lot of TV shows that I can't otherwise watch.

Do you remember what had happend with all the copies of the Gears of War last year, when the company forgot to renew its certificate? They were not starting up properly. Lets now say the company goes bankrupt, doesn't have money to maintain its servers or decides to end the product life cycle and replace the product with a new version giving users 2 month period to switch to a new version? Isn't it open to abuse?

Here's the rub. Developers need to make money or their families go hungry. If you want to keep getting newer and better games, you need to pony up to the bar with your wallet out and help feed these guys and their families. If you never buy games, only play pirated stuff, you are nothing more than a welfare gamer and you are holding back better game development. Now, at $60 plus per game, I am careful where I spend my dollars. I am still working on Oblivion (and have been for over a year) and am getting my money's worth out of the game and having a lot of fun doing it. Isn't that the point? If your only intention is to have the latest, greatest game and rip through it as fast as you can, you are wasting your time and now worth the developers time to bring you some entertainment. If we all slow down our spending, but each of us still does it sometimes, the game prices will drop to where they are more reasonable and we can all have more fun.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

No one can contest with your arguments here; but the key point is when companies implement such draconian DRM (or other such tech tactics), what they are implying is everyone out there is a pirate or some evil doer. This is absurdly stupid notion showing mangled thinking of such companies.

I will wholeheartedly agree with darkjeric and Mathew's excellent arguments at the top of this page. I deal with dozens of new people every day, and I believe, generally most of the people are good natured; who want to make choices by staying within legal frameworks available to them. Therefore, all what is needed is give them the trust and tools to do so.

0n1n3 said:

You guys use the word "pirate" as a blanket term but it's not as generalized as you would like it to be. To form an analogy; it's like a large aquarium with tank handlers feeding the fishies every day. The "handlers" are very experienced, likely just as if not more than the developers themselves. They all probably have side jobs and access to good equipment, and like TomSEA they have been doing this for a very very long time. Even if they haven't been, they look up to those that do.

How long will it take to get the files off Ubisofts server? Not long. Many developers use the same tactic and when they do so, the customers themselves have become to combative that they buy the game solely to gain access and distribute the missing files.

But people aren't malicious naturally. I too believe it's a money thing, but it's also an internet thing. The internet is it's own little monster and it has it's own international culture. That culture is often outspoken and a lot of people may be using the internet as a replacement for other real-life entertainments, such as movie theaters and the like. That does make up a majority, but those people have no idea how to crack, they can't even read binary or use an hex editor program, even with things as much easier as they are today than they were in the past.

The other portion is people that have been continuously taunted over and over again in one way or another. There is a certain idealism to this group that is beyond negotiation at this point.

Now I think compromise is the answer and platforms like Steam do rake in quite a bit of cash. But the PirateBay did not agree with me. I emailed them once when the TVshows started being released on the internet legitimately on websites such as Hulu, and I more or less asked them what they felt about it. They did not like the idea, but that same group sold out to a swedish company that is now slicing the website up into pieces and selling them to the highest bidder for ad space and revenue in order to prevent it from the inevitable that will likely happen regardless.

It might not be much but at this point you are better off not making any more enemies than you already have. It might be worth it to pull in those 1 or 2 groups described by those here previously than it is to combat them even more than you already have.

TomSEA says it will get worse, but it already has. Starforce was really as bad as it gets and it was boycotted internationally. That created more pirates than you could ever imagine. And if they had allowed us to backup our VHS tapes back in the day, I am guessing that you might not have those expert crackers hounding you at every release.

The bottom line is; your pride will only get you so far. You may be corporate, but you are not God.

Not buying those DRM games. None of them. Assassin's Creed II, Silent Hunter 5 or any other that adopts this DRM concept.

Force the gamer to stay online is not something good, even if you have an ISP 100% up, which I doubt.

Online gaming is essentially for multiplayer mode, for instance, Team Fortress 2. A game like SH5 is so characterized as single player that it makes difficult to understand you have to stay online to play it.

Certainly, developer's will realize that this is not the way to avoid having their titles pirated, like everybody's already commented here.

Another good example is those games with StarForce (http://www.star-force.com) protection. I have the 10tacle Studios GT Legends racing game and I simply can't install it on Windows 7 because StarForce's version used in this titles isn't compatible with W7. Detail: I bought the original game!

One last thought is that not everybody has an internet connection available, whatever the reason. If I want to play the game and stay off line, I just can't? This is really a drawback, not an evolution in the game industry.

Cheers!

EduardsN said:

Those who actually buy games and not download cracked versions might say no to this one because of the need for a constant internet connection. And like always its going to be cracked anyways.

zaidpirwani said:

So now if I want to play games I have to be connected to the INTERNET and I only play games when I am not connected.....

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Oh dear, well here's a huge surprise. How could Ubisoft be so stupid and arrogant to think that this new DRM would not be cracked? Now with all this publicity they're going to get far fewer sales than if they hadn't put any DRM on there in the first place.

Kovach said:

I don't think that DRM is going to live until next year...Ubisoft is just want to get some more customers, but they will loose more. Probably they are giving a lot of money for developing such a ridiculous protection. It's just metter of time and it's useless losing of time.

njmarkham said:

I do not agree with Piracy. I think steam is absolutely fantastic but clearly DRM as it is now, is not the way forward.

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I think their DRM will actually work in this case, as it effectively follows the same model as WoW. I think you will see a lot of other producers doing the same thing in the future. I do think it is kind of annoying, but it isn't that much different then the "steam" powered games either which i play :-) I would like to hear from someone who legitimately bought a copy to know if it has really affected them or not.

fref said:

While I understand that people without a good internet connection aren't happy with this, you can't blame companies for trying to protect their work. And this does sound like one of the best ways to protect a game. DVD copy protection has always been inefficient, so it was only a matter of time before something like this was going to be tried.

I wouldn't be surprised if most of the people complaning about this are pirates who can't get their game right now anyway. Well, excluding those complaining because of their internet connection of course.

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

this is the reason why i went to console gaming & mostly on PS3. In Mauritius we have same problem, it's difficult, if not impossible to get legit PC or Xbox games, copies are sold everywhere & those owning these platform would make fun of PS3 owners forced to pay higher prices.

I'm happy got a PS3 & i don't care about paying for quality games & what's weird, the sales chart is quite impressive leading to one important fact: People go for pirated copies because they are available & 'some' have no considerations for developers.

maybe there will never be a solution against piracy but i think would be easy to control or slightly drop it off.

- the developers must not lose time protecting their work & end up with a crappy finish. like some of you mentioned, additional contents & services or bonuses would be a great solution & incentive in letting people get the games.

- create more competition at local levels, stop ignoring some countries & support all the sales. like in China, in Mauritius also we can't find original games, the 'official representative' of some companies if any wouldn't do anything to bring more & support the product. MS exist in the island & does a lot of campaign against software theft, but i never saw any campaign against games theft & console modding. if they only could come up with some competitions that would encourage youngsters to bind to the rules & play fair with some prizes at the end, would at least create the need of having an untouched system with legit 'loved' games.

piracy isn't good for developers, but also for gamers, i've seen a lot owning all the copied games possible but never could finish any, hey i didn't pay for the game & i'm stuck here ... no challenge too good, i can put the game away, won't lose anything, let's try the other one & so & so ...

i hope someday somehow some developers would come up with a system to protect their work, but i mostly wish that we consumers, would realise how bad it would be if our favourite games won't have sequels, some movies will never be produced just because they would go bankrupt if they dare spend too much on them.

say NO to piracy & YES to great pieces of art, whether it be in the musical, theatrical or virtual world .. let's have FUN!..

cheers!

As bad as I would like to go to the store and purchase this and play it, I will not. I have the <S@tan> copy already and it works great. Going thru levels is a snap. I noticed that the source code has been re-engineered and you simply run your own "check server", which replaced ubisoft's. the check server only takes up about 48k of memory then released from memory, Very intelligent cracking efforts I must say.

Which supprised me the most is that it runs flawlessly. Just as if it was the legit store bought version.

Oh and one more thing, The DRM has been totally stripped out! Awsome Job of cracking and cleaning up the *****

Shout out to Ubisoft - Mutha ****a!!! The Finger!!!!.

Viandroto said:

Maybe it's not the theft and piracy the problem, but the economy? Perhaps people aren't buying games right now cause they can't afford it. DRM is a waste of time, effort, and money that these game companies are investing in, specially when it can just be cracked in one day. Also, it's a turn off to consumers. I didn't buy Red Alert 3 for that VERY reason. As much as I wanted to. I also bought Spore, which I reject now because I didn't know it had DRM on it. The only time I'll buy a game now is if it doesn't have DRM, or it's a game I really want to play, like Starcraft II.

While I'm not so much a gamer anymore, it's certainly not solely because of DRM and it's invasive ways, but simply because I can't afford it. I don't pirate games because of it, but I'm definitely not going to buy one that has DRM. If the gaming companies can't trust their own consumers or give them what they want, then they might as well just stop making games.

Neojt said:

So this means that if your on the road with you laptop (witch i do very often) you cant play if you dont have internet!

wow now that's entertaining.

Also if demo versions of the games would be more available so we could try the game before spending 60 + $ then realizing that you don't like the game ...... maybe there would be less illegal download. As a lot of people download the game to try it but hey i already have the full version running why go buy it now ......

Just a thought

JMMD JMMD, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

There was no chance this was going to stop the hackers from creating a patch. Once again it becomes very inconvenient for the legal purchaser but a piece of cake for the people who pirate.