Apple sets April ship date for iPad, pre-orders next week

By on March 5, 2010, 9:53 AM
When Apple unveiled the iPad earlier this year, we were told it would be available around the end of March. Rumors began to swirl recently suggesting shipments had been delayed. However, today the company has put an end to all speculation and finally announced a firm date for the official debut of its anticipated tablet device: the iPad will go on sale starting April 3 with pre-ordering opening on March 12.

Only the Wi-Fi models will be available initially with a suggested retail price of $499 for 16GB, $599 for 32GB, and $699 for 64GB. Customers who want to the more expensive 3G-equipped version will have to wait until "late April" to pick up their iPad. That same timeframe was given for the device's release in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the UK -- in both its Wi-Fi and 3G versions.

As part of the launch, Apple says it will also officially pull the curtain off its online bookstore and 12 new apps that have been designed specifically for the device to take advantage of its larger real estate. The new iBookstore will feature books from both major and independent publishers, including Hachette Book Group, HarperCollins Publishers, Macmillan Publishers, Penguin Group, and Simon & Schuster.

Ithryl said:

I still don't see a reason why anyone would actually buy one. Except for trying to be "cool" or something. :|

jacob007 said:

enough of the geek bashing trashing.

We will finally see if the general public, the majority of the consumers like this thing and so... will it be a big hit or a humongous flop.

fref said:

It will be interesting to see how many pre-orders they get for this product. With all the bad jokes and previews floating around the web, lots of potential buyers have probably changed their minds. And I agree with them.

twite twite, TechSpot Paladin, said:

ilol

supyo said:

Apple should have just stuck with a really cool looking netbook w/ USB 3

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I think it'll be a moderate to big hit, just feeding off the Apple fanboys and general "wow" factor of those who don't really understand the tech as much. For what it's worth, Apple may have found a really interesting niche market - those who aren't technical, but would like to have some technical abilities. A laptop may be intimidating, but the iPad won't be (if they can use an iPhone, they can use an iPad).

Just how popular it gets will depend on how quickly the more powerful and standardized (as in more PC than iPhone appliance) competition can get on the market as well. Anyone who knows their stuff may see the merits of an iPad, but would prefer the flexibility of a true computing platform. Unless, of course, they are Appleheads, in which case emotion and loyalty usually win out over logic. And no, I'm not dissing Apple fans, fanaticism and loyalty exist across many brands and platforms, it's just an observation.

JMMD JMMD, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I would not buy this but I imagine it will do reasonably well with all the very devoted apple fans. It's an interesting concept and I think someday this kind of thing will be common place like a sort of digital notebook.

natefalk natefalk said:

I think this device will be limited by the lack of Flash support. Flash technology is widely used and generally accepted as a standard for web development.

If I were to purchase a tablet it would be mainly for web browsing and streaming video. Apple has limitations on both. For $500 I'll wait for a Win7 tablet to come out, which will happen eventually b/c Win7 has built-in touch support. Also with Win7 you get a fully functional OS instead of Apple's modified iPhone OS.

pyari said:

I can't afford sucha gadget so I preferred to buy clone manufacturer from china.....

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I still don't understand why the icons on the iPad are the same size as on an iPod/iPhone, yet there are still only 4 of them per line... maybe it's so you can see your nice wallpaper or something.

Also the only reason why there isn't any flash is because this would ruin Apple's app store - people would just play games online or use flash-based apps on the web instead. Less apps = less money for Apple.

windmill007 said:

I don't think it will do so well. Trying to surf with out flash or java is like trying to fly without wings. You're just not gonna get to far. I use my phone for a few sites when I can't get to my computer but if I want to really surf...I get on my desktop where the cool stuff is. First company to make a awesome mobile browser that supports flash and java and works well with touch will be the winner I think.

viperpfl said:

Though the Ipad has some benefits, I wouldn't pay the price they are asking for it. It just seems there are to many products that do the same thing. For example, you will have someone who has a cellphone, Ipad, and laptop. The cellphone you can make calls, browse the internet, download, etc. You can't make calls with the Ipad but you can browse the internet, download and read books. The Ipad is basically a over glorified cell phone. Then you have laptop which can't make calls but is more powerful and can do more than a Ipad. It just seems we are spending a whole bunch of money for things that all do the same thing.

Timonius Timonius said:

"The new iBookstore will feature books from both major and independent publishers, including Hachette Book Group, HarperCollins Publishers, Macmillan Publishers, Penguin Group, and Simon & Schuster."

I wonder how many 'independant' publishers are going to be available and what hoops they'll have to jump through to get their stuff available. Will the selection actually compete with Amazon? And will the prices be competitive? Will reading on an iPad be fun or a pain?

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

I'm sorry. I dont think its cool. I've had a iPhone 3G for over a year now and I am getting away from Apple as soon as possible. I thinkthe iPhone was quite disappointing in all its glory.

I think advertisments are just tricking people into thinking this is some cool, popular stuff.

Libraries are nice, use them... you can even meet cute girls (or guys, w/e)

Serag said:

@trillionsin

Good point about the libraries :P, though the iPad isn't supposed to be mainly an e-book reader anyway..

I think it'll awkwardly be successful, as I believe that Apple have yet again found a market segment that isn't exploited, people who wants cool e-readers that does plenty of other stuff and doesn't actually wanna read

But joking aside, Apple's heavy promoting will probably drive this...

TuesdayExpress said:

The real teller, I think, will be the monthly sales numbers that come out for May onwards. That's after the buying surge we'll see when the Apple faithful rush out to buy in the next couple of months. I'm really not sure it's going to skyrocket, especially with all of the competing, equally fully-featured tablets that have been unveiled in the past three months.

DryIce said:

Despite it's problems I think it will be a big seller just because it's an Apple product, I mean isn't that why the iPod is the best selling portable media device? I have to admit that's why I'm considering buying one.

PaulWuzHere PaulWuzHere said:

Yay, now everyone can browse the intarwebz without flash support. Seriously, I have been waiting since apple announced the "iPad" to come out an say "Just kidding!"

paynetrain007 said:

I have half a mind to go through the dictionary and to attempt to copyright every word in it with a little i in front of it. So when ever Apple tries to make a new product I'll make thousands :P

Richy2k9 said:

hello...

it's beautiful, but too expensive for me & i'm sure will be underused, so sorry for now it's a no GO.

LOL @ paynetrain007, yeah just go & register all domains too

cheers!

Arcanum67 said:

It's a MMMMMMMMac so how good can it be. I'm fine with an mini iPad (iPhone)

mv670 said:

ugh, this thing does not interest me.

Chazz said:

As much as I think this thing is a joke, Apple is good at one thing. Marketing. After watching their video on it I almost wanted to own one. These things will sell, but for sure not from my pockets.

pipopaz said:

I get the whole ipad not meeting the people's expectations, but I can't see for sure the competition out there has really tried to 'reach' the consumer showing why their product will be better than the ipad. I haven't heard any news about the HP slate since CES10.

Puiu Puiu said:

I hope this fails big. I'm waiting for a better and cheaper alternative from others.

BTW i'm sure that those who own an IPhone will not buy this.

PCrossFire said:

I think it is very expensive and i'll not buy this product. Apple really has to think about the price and should decrease it.

fadownjoo said:

Im waiting on a win 7/linux pad forget this overpriced junk, u could buy a tablet laptop hybrid that has 100gigs for space and other shit for the same price.

Yoda8232 said:

Overpriced iPod touch that you doesn't even have a basic SD or USB slot, no flash either. Starting at $499? WHY? Just get a 8GB iPod touch and a netbook or better!

rajmond said:

It's expensive for what it can do, but it's from Apple, and there are some people that give a lot for apple stuff

zaidpirwani said:

I will not get it unless someone gifts it to me... seems like a waste of money....

JamesW said:

I have enjoyed everything apple has released in the past decade, but I fail to be optimistic about the Ipad. A laptop-Itouch hybrid is inconvenient in the way that it can't be carried around in a pocket, but does not offer the full capabilities of a laptop. However, I am excited for the launch, and maybe I will spend an hour or two at the local Apple store checking this out!

cocodel said:

I think Apple launches another gadget in attempt to dry out more pockets.

levar said:

I'm looking forward to the 12 new apps that have been designed specifically for the iPad something tells me that one of those apps hopefully all of them will bring out the real reason they someone should purchase and iPad and not a 720p TV, PS3, 360, two ipod touches, a ZuneHD, a budget PC, netbook omg there's so many things you can buy other than an iPad but I'm really looking forward to it. But I just have to say the prices are just ridiculous but we'll see.

buttus said:

I think this is an aweful product as it is. However, like the iPhone the v2.0 should be considerably better and will likely include all the stuff missing from this version. I swear Apple does this on purpose. Release a product which is missing significant features only to have them appear on the second version and relying on the fanboys to buy both versions.

Arcanum67 said:

Wait till Microsoft comes out with their new "Pad". It will be better than this iPad.

Why would someone who uses an iPhone not buy it? I have an iPhone 3GS and love it. The only thing holding me back is cost - just don't have them right now. If I did, I'd give it a try.

techsp10 said:

I am looking forward for this date. I really want products from apple but the price is not that quite convenient. I hope this big investment of apple will not fail. Go for it Apple and prove what you are supposed to prove with your competitors.