Portal 2 confirmed for Mac, Steam coming in May (updated)

By on March 8, 2010, 2:20 PM
Between its fantastic game releases and wildly popular distribution platform, Valve has won the hearts of many PC gamers over the last few years. Mac users have long cried for support, and last week Valve answered their calls. The company plans to introduce an OS X-friendly Steam client in May, along with games like Left 4 Dead 2, Half-Life 2, Team Fortress 2, and Portal.

In addition to some older titles, it would seem the sequel to 2007's Portal will also be available for the Mac. Portal 2 was unveiled as the cover story for Game Informer magazine a few days ago, and at the time, only cover shots were available. More pages have now leaked, and one lists the platforms that Portal 2 will launch on: Xbox 360, PC, and Mac.

You can view all of the page scans here (scroll about halfway down for image links).

Update: Valve has issued an official statement and as it turns out, Steam and numerous Source games will launch on Mac in April, not May. Additionally, select titles purchased for Mac or PC will be playable on both platforms free of charge via a new feature called Steam Play. Portal 2 is also confirmed to be the first simultaneous release for Mac and PC.

cyrusjumpjet cyrusjumpjet said:

I kind of want to buy a Mac just so I can feel the joy of playing games on a Mac.

Haven't felt that joy since I played Myst, Star Wars Dark Forces, and The Dig on my old System 7.5 Mac...

Puiu Puiu said:

Gaming on a mac will always suck since Apple doesn't support the producers. If they tried harder they could have had at least some of the more popular games with native support for their OS. (bootcamp is not a good alternative - it's actually really bad).

But i'm thinking that they're afraid that people will notice that they have low end components for high end prices. ^_^

Serag said:

Excited about Portal2, Could see many ways in which mac-gaming pioneered by Steam could fail but more ways it could win and get Steam the lead in this untapped market.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I'm really having problems visualizing the Mac as a gaming machine. No doubt there's an untapped user base out there. But I think that platform has just a TAD bit to go before we start seeing them run the most current games at top settings.

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Smart move for them as the source engine is a pretty good one, that runs well on low-mid end graphics cards (what MACs have).

DryIce said:

This is good. Mac users deserve the same as PC users. Windows has dominated PC gaming for too long.

Decimae said:

Now make a linux build. That'll convince me to switch to ubuntu(when 10.4 is out).

Also, the portal puzzle wiki has these scans too, and with text:

[link]

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

As a gamer I'm happy to see a greater audience being able to enjoy some amazing games. While I have no plans or desire to get a Mac, it's nice for those who have one to get some support . But as pointed out above, if more higher end and new games ever do come to the Mac the average consumer will get wind that his $1500+ system all of a sudden can't compete with a PC half the price and Apple's jig is up. But as of now source games are not demanding and it'll fit just fine.

drasho said:

It not bad... mac is finally getting some decent game =P But PC is still the way to go if you want to play all the good games =P

seefizzle said:

This is going to be a complete mind f*ck for apple users. Going from a mouse with one button on it to a gaming mouse with 11. I predict a lot of pants shitting.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

seefizzle said:

LOL!

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

like with Blizzard, now Valve, i want my fav games to be playable anywhere, so i hope it will not be an either or situation where i can buy a MAC only or a PC only version.

I can have both versions off Blizzard.

Now, i won't find it hard to go for a MAC if needed.

would be happy to see Linux also supported some day

cheers!

Deso said:

I'm getting this game for sure, I still play Portal from time to time such a awesome game, wish there were more maps tho, I can run through the entire game in less then 2 hours

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

I believe there are plenty of third-party Portal maps around, but I've never tried any. Might be worth looking into, Deso.

InsaneVr6 said:

I said it in the last article. This will tell the future of next gen gaming on Mac's. If Steam can't do it, who can?

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

I have to say that although I don't like Macs, I would prefer them to get support over the consoles! They should release the PC and Mac versions simultaneously, and then the 360 version a few weeks later. Give us a little love to help us feel special again.

flukeh said:

I visualize Mac becoming the Casual gamers machine and PC staying where it is. The majority of people that i know with macs (that don't have them at/for work) use mac books. And those laptops will hardly be able to run new games very well. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

Deso said:

Matthew said:

How did I not know of this !?!?!??!?!!?

I'm definitely looking into this.

yorro said:

Too bad I finished Portal 1 in 5 hours, such a great game for a low gamespan.

Anyway, no PS3?

fref said:

It's great that some titles will be playable on both platforms with Steam Play. No need to buy the game twice, though I doubt anyone would do that anyway.

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

i love that update ... yes now i can play all my already purchased games on my possibly soon to be MAC LOL.

What about Linux & PS3, i know i'm asking for too much!

keep updating please, thank you.

cheers!

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Excellent news, my wife and I can game together again.

TuesdayExpress said:

Will this be Valve's first release on Xbox? I'm only familiar with their PC side, but I don't recall hearing of this from them before.

Tizzlejack Tizzlejack said:

Will the Source SDK work on Macs too? Some of the best games I've played on the Source engine were originally developed by a third party. Garry's Mod anyone?

levar said:

cool welcome to the gaming world Mac's wonder if they'll see more hardcore games? Ohh maybe Apple will release Mac gaming machines or just start giving Mac extra performance boots and this "Steam Play" thing sounds awesome! Gonna research some more about it. A great milestone for Macs and Valve! Good move.

ourboyblue said:

this is good news for mac lovers, now they will brag how mac plays all the latest games. they must be tired of mine sweeper.

rskapadia2294 said:

great work by Valve! i think mac users will not sumwat b happy ! keep up the good work!

pipopaz said:

Nice, i'll be sure to use it when II get my macbook pro. Still waiting for the new models to arrive, hope it'll handle the games without a hassle.

Docnoq said:

Steam Play sounds really interesting. If I owned a Mac, that would be such an amazing feature. Granted, I would expect to be able to play my purchases on any computer I desired but it is nice that they specifically detail the ability to do so.

As far as Portal 2 is concerned, I really hope they release it as part of another 'box' set.. the Orange Box was such an outstanding deal when it was released. Arguably the best game purchase I have ever made.

buttus said:

This news definately gives me pause to reconsider my next computer purchase. I have long wanted a Mac to edit my photos on but I LOVE my TF2 and had been most hesitant about going Apple (as Apple has never, ever embraced gaming as nothing less then something trivial). This release has tipped the scales for me and I will likely go with a iMac shortly (but of course I would still keep my PC going as well).

Yoda8232 said:

I think it's good Mac users get Steam and the great games on it. Still I'll be playing it on PC's no matter what because of the customization, price, and everything that most of you know!