New Firefox JavaScript engine uses WebKit code

By on March 9, 2010, 1:12 PM
Once among the fastest, Firefox's TraceMonkey JavaScript engine has slipped behind the performance offered by Chrome, Opera, and Safari. In hopes of propelling Firefox into the lead, Mozilla is developing a new JavaScript engine called JägerMonkey.

To accomplish the feat, the outfit is borrowing some code from Apple's WebKit project. Mozilla aims to meld the powerful optimization techniques of TraceMonkey with the efficient native code generator of Apple's JSCore engine. An implementation that could regain lost ground for Firefox in the JavaScript speed wars.

"The reason we're [building JägerMonkey] is that TraceMonkey is very fast for code that traces well, but for code that doesn't trace, we're stuck with the interpreter, which is not fast," explained Mozilla developer David Mandelin. "The JägerMonkey method JIT will provide a much better performance baseline, and tracing will continue to speed us up on code where it applies."

The project is just underway and interested developers can download the code from Mozilla's version control repository.

CodePhoeniX said:

Nothing wrong with a speed improvement for Firefox.

Would still use FF even if they dont do this.

DryIce said:

I would too. Firefox is a great browser.

drasho said:

That what good about the competition between the browser... The technology will improve much faster ^_^

alexandrionel said:

I was using Chrome for quite some time and after I read the article about browser, I noticed speed test also confirmed the same: Chrome is the fastest.

I stopped using FF for about a year and I don't think I will change my mind any time soon.

Chrome is fastest there is at this moment and so far I have had no security problems.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

To me Java seems slow and clanky no mater what browser it running in or what stand alone software.

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

i seem to get into some problem with latest FF, i have to use 3 browsers at once & it's a pain. my favs remain Chrome & Firefox still, just hope this JagerMonkey do make a difference in the end.

cheers!

Didou Didou, Bowtie extraordinair!, said:

@TorturedChaos, java script  & Java are not the same thing.

theoscentral said:

Whatever helps speed up Firefox, I'm all up for it! Firefox FTW!

selphiroth said:

just a gentle reminder to the techspot, you got one typographical error in the second paragraph, it's TraceMonkey but not "TraceMoney "!!!

indeed, firefox needs to trace money )

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

Yikes, haha. Thanks for pointing that out selphiroth, it's fixed.

flukeh said:

I recently switched over to Chrome from Firefox. The big thing that made me switch was when i was online banking, with any different bank it would take literally 20 seconds to log in or navigate around. On Chrome it takes half a second if that. I don't think i'll be switching back anytime soon.

Renegeek said:

if this native code is comeing from apple, then this defently going to help firefox, maybe it will have a better chance of getting back into the game with chrome, (but not saying it will beat it, just have better Numbers)

SweetIT said:

Love anything that can enhance Firefox. I haven't abandoned IE but I prefer Firefox and Chrome. Since I have to be familiar with all the browsers that our end users are running I use many several times a day and it really helped me learn each one. I've found now that I can seamlessly navigate through many and help users troubleshoot over the phone better. It's great, if you all are tech support at any level this may help you too!

Opera is, indeed, the most complete web browser in the world. But that's all there is to it.

Safari is, indeed, the most stable* web browser in the world. But that's all there is to it.

Internet Explorer is, indeed, the most used web browser in the world. And this, also, is all there is to it.

The best, all-around (by all-around I'm referring to performance, security, stability, customization, portability, user-friendliness) web browser in the world is called Mozilla Firefox. Hate it or love it.

flukeh said:

What really made me switch from Firefox to Chrome was the ability to seamlessly integrate your bookmarks on different computers.

" Chrome is, indeed, the fastest web browser in the world. But that's all there is to it.

The best, all-around (by all-around I'm referring to performance, security

*By stability I'm referring to web page stability, not the actual browser stability. "

Agreed 100%....

jasonk1229 said:

Firefox is going strong chrome is going to surpass it eventually however with its OS

Serag said:

@ Guest,

I agree completely,

Looking forward for the next JS engine, though I don't care much about it and I would still use Firefox...

tripplejjj said:

I am completely happy with Firefox because of the extensions (18). I have a fast computer and internet connection now so Firefox performance is not an issue.

megrawab said:

i never thought firefox would use webkit. but its fine, atleast only on java so there would still be distinctions from other browsers that use webkit as rendering engine...

jjbeard926 said:

Am I the only one that sees this as a threat to the security of both WebKit and Firefox? The more code shared between different products, the more likely that a hack, exploit or virus will affect said code. One of the main reasons I embraced Firefox early on was that few exploits and hacks were written for it as most hackers went after the much larger market share IE. The new diversity of browser options out there between Chrome, Opera, Safari, etc. has actually been one of the best things for security on the net. If these browsers begin to share code and work the same way we risk large scale exploits and hacking issues (ala the issues with Flash).

cocodel said:

Good news from firefox! Use to love firefox but they need to improve in speed evrything else its ok.

rskapadia2294 said:

i have never used firefox!

i was a chrome user them moved on to opera 10.50!

chrome used to hang very much! opera is the best! it has speed! and atleast it doesn't hangs! :P

jobeard jobeard, TS Ambassador, said:

that was java script , not JAVA

NightAngel79 said:

Either way FireFox is and always will be the king of browsers!

Yoda8232 said:

If it's faster we'll like it, if slower we won't it's that simple.

levar said:

eh...

Chrome ok, I'll let that slide fastest browser in the world, Opera not the most complete; there a bunch a sites like gmx.com, wachovia.com and gylde.com for example that still can't be viewed in the browser sure this is probably the only browser that passed the ACID3 test and if that's was your point of saying its complete then yes I'd agree but from my point of view its not complete, they just added the spell checking feature and private browsing in the Opera release in March.

Safari I can't comment on it, never really used it much but I'd probably call it stable because there really isn't anything you can do to it, well its not open source so.. you get my drift.

IE yes definitely the most used browser but that will change trust.

And firefox I agree with the way you described it but its also open source I think Mozilla is the most experience browser. But to go back on topic looking forward to using this new java script  engine hope to see Firefox on top in the next upcoming speed wars.

megrawab said:

"that was java script , not JAVA

Was this for me?... sorry just making it short...

LGraves said:

I love Firefox but I recently went back to Google Chrome. I must say it seems alot faster than Firefox.

Haven't tried Opera yet.

Safari and Chrome are the fastest. And forever will be.