NPD: Xbox 360 tops console sales in February

By on March 12, 2010, 9:55 AM
For the first time since the launch of Halo 3 in 2007, Microsoft's Xbox 360 managed to outpace Nintendo's Wii to become the top selling gaming console in the U.S. for February. Overall the industry had a poor month with total sales down 15 percent from last year, according to NPD, but that didn’t stop Microsoft from moving 422,000 units during the month – up from 391,000 in 2009.

Nintendo sold 397,900 Wii consoles, down significantly from 753,000 last year, while Sony moved 360,100 PlayStation 3 consoles versus just 276,000 in 2009, as well as 101,900 units of the previous-generation PlayStation 2. Handheld machines still ruled the market, though, with the Nintendo DS emerging once again as the overall hardware sales champ thanks to unit sales of 613,200.

BioShock 2 and Modern Warfare 2 seem to have had something to do with Microsoft’s success this month, with Xbox 360 versions of those games taking the first and third spots in the software charts, selling 562,900 and 314,300 copies respectively. New Super Mario Bros on the Wii was a close second with 555,000 copies sold.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Looks like the Wii phenomenon is slowly but surely grinding to a halt.

natefalk natefalk said:

I haven't played my Wii in months. The only Nintendo games that interest me are Mario, Zelda and Metriod. I'm more of a classic style gamer (without motion controller). I think Nintendo would do well if they release a new HD Wii.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

yep Wii seems to be loosing momentum. Hope Sony can gain some more . (What can i say i don't like M$)

Orionlocke said:

I was one of them...I play mostly on PC but I finally broke down and got me a Xbox 360!

The Wii was a lot of fun at first but after a while, it just kind of gets old. I'm guessing because of that, the Wii numbers will probably continue to fall.

InsaneVr6 said:

I like the Wii for little party games when I have friends and family over because it's fun, very interactive, and just ends up being a good time. But, when it comes to competing with the performance of the 360 and PS3 it's not even in the same league.

I never saw the Wii being that big of a deal when I first saw that was Nintendo's next gen console (it's just an interactive gamecube). Soon the Wii will be available for $30 at any gamestop...

DryIce said:

I guess that's what you would expect, that the X-Box 360 would sell the most when overall sales are down.

The Wii has been experiencing shortages since the Christmas season (as verified by NPD analysis comments on Gamasutra). Meanwhile, Ninty's lineup for 2010 is by far the best in targetting the "hardcore" gamer. Games like No More Heroes 2, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Monster Hunter Tri, Fragile Dreams, Shiren the Wanderer, Red Steel 2, Sin and Punishment 2, Mario Galaxy 2, Metroid Other M, Epic Mickey, Xenoblade, Last Story - Mistwalker, and New Zelda should dispell the myth that there's nothing to play on the Wii (alas, we all know that won't be the case).

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

it's surely Bioshock 2 & the always increasing sale of MW2 that moved the Xbox360, but at the same time there were a shortage of the WII & PS3, & with Final Fantasy at the door, some did find it better to go for the Xbox360.

It's good for MS, just hope those who bought won't go mod the machine.

cheers!

flocka said:

"as well as 101,9000 units of the previous-generation PlayStation 2."

101, 900 units?

gobbybobby said:

Microsoft moved a lot this month, but I have seen some killer deals recently. (In the UK anyway) The difference between the Wii and PS3 is small. Will be interesting to see if the announcement of the Sony Move will increase sales. Nobody Likes MS. Its just we all use the products like the suckers we are!

rajmond said:

Xbox 360 can be the tops console sales in US, but nowhere else I think (for sure not in Azia and a big part of Europe)

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

I think that Nintendo would do well to come out with a Wii HD or a new system soon that has backwards compatibility with current Wii games. Also, I don't think there have been as many good games for the Wii as there have been for other platforms. Only the Mario games come to mind as being good Wii games.

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Good numbers for both the 360 and PS3. Even though the Wii is down 400,000 is still a lot of consoles moved, just compared to there previous numbers it looks bad. We'll see if they keep falling or stay around that mark which is where Microsoft & Sony are.

ludoboss said:

We can see what MS can do. MS do OS: here we have 7. MS do a new consolle: here we have Xbox 360. I mean that MS can do lot of things better if "he" wanna do them.

boyese said:

i loved the orginal xbox but i didnt like the 360 not sure why. so i went to PS3.

whose buyin the ps2s?...........pogs

jasonk1229 said:

xbox is awesome

rskapadia2294 said:

lets see who tops after sony launches motion controller for ps3! Wii is slowly fading away!

i think microsoft is also thinking on some strategy to remain in market!

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

The Xbox360 is pretty much the perfect system this console generation. Good price, good games library, and good features. Im happy for their success.

Microsoft is doing pretty good these days. Windows Seven, WinMobile 7, Xbox 360... and project Natal coming near the end of this year. What might be cool was the news that games might work on all three of these without missing a beat.

rufio said:

The vast number of good games and good community boosts sales for the xbox. Something Sony should considered...

Yoda8232 said:

I honestly don't care, the 360 is a piece of s..nevermind. Personally I'd prefer the PS3 which is a better deal because you get so much more in it that the 360 doesn't have. Wireless, blu-ray, MUCH BETTER DESIGN, doesn't die like crazy (RROD), better exculsives (yes PS3 does, most of the 360 exclusives are on PC's other than Halo 3 and some others).

That's just my part.

nayelir said:

It seems like Wii is starting to flatline. Only so many people can afford a Wii and it seems like the Wii market is slowing down. With all the hype from last year, especially around Christmas Wii can't go up anymore. I hope PS3 comes out with something interesting soon. Hopefully a Resident Evil game, cause I'm done with all the others.

yangly18 yangly18 said:

(for sure not in azia and a big part of europe)

asia????

People are so pathetic. Just because Wii came in 2nd for once, you say its dying?. The only reason you say that is because you want it to die.......but guess what fanboys....it wont. It always the sony fanboys talking s--t, its never microsoft or nintendo fans. Because PS3 is getting its *** kicked this generation and will never catch up. LOL And this is a guy who has a PS3 and nothing else.......