Microsoft unveils IE9 public preview

By on March 16, 2010, 12:39 PM
Microsoft is showing an early preview of Internet Explorer 9 today at its MIX10 developer conference. The forthcoming release will supposedly mark a major change from previous versions, focusing heavily on performance improvements and standards support -- particularly HTML 5 and SVG. It will also make full use of hardware acceleration for rendering graphics, while a new JavaScript engine, code-named Chakra, compiles JavaScript in the background on a separate CPU core if available.

Microsoft is making a first developer preview of IE 9 available at IETestDrive.com. It is a 31MB download and will run only in Windows 7, Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (SP2) and Windows Server R2. This is not a full-featured browser by any means, but includes the underlying rendering engine and should at least offer a first look at the work Microsoft has done so far. There's no navigation buttons or built-in security, for example.

The development team is committing to delivering an update to the browser code every eight weeks, putting the first such update in mid-May, and to interact with developers via the Microsoft Connect feedback loop as the company moves toward a more full featured beta. Unfortunately, it remains unclear when a public beta would be ready.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

"The development team is committing to delivering an update to the browser code every eight weeks, putting the first such update in mid-May, and to interact with developers via the Microsoft Connect feedback loop as the company moves toward a more full featured beta."

In other words, they're still two years behind FireFox and Chrome. :p

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Heh... Good point, TomSEA... And also only available for Vista and/or Win7??? Is that just the pre-release, or are they planning to use that as another method to try to bludgeon everyone into upgrades?

seefizzle said:

Internet Explorer 9 could come with a brand new unicorn for free with each download and I still wouldn't use it.

And another thing, Hotmail, quit telling me that my browser isn't up to date just because I use Chrome. It's like seeing an ex with your new girlfriend and your ex being snotty to your new girl. It's childish Hotmail, I don't care if you like my new browser or not.

Docnoq said:

If they can offer the proper security, features, and speed that I expect from a browser, I will try it out. I keep a copy of IE8 on my PCs as a backup browser anyhow, so I might as well update them to IE9.

treeski treeski said:

Despite Microsoft's poor track record with IE, they've had a great track record overall, especially in recent years (in my opinion). I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of overhaul they bring to IE9. They've set the bar as low as it can go with previous versions of IE, so we may be pleasantly surprised with the next rendition.

buendia said:

Good! They are not wasting any time.

IE really needs performance improvements. It's the slowest browser on my system.

EduardsN said:

I will give it a try if its fast enough, but for now I will stick with Chrome!

And firefox is getting pretty slow! yes :-)

Renegeek said:

I wish IE would permently disapear... I'v never liked ie, always been bloted and crashed.

rskapadia2294 said:

if the new ie is fast and more secure then i wud surely give it a try!

but as of now i m stickin to opera 10.5!

i have always hated ie! ( though i dunno y? )

first i used chrome but it used to hang a lot!

so shifted to opera!

never used firefox!

Kovach said:

They are making smart move with implementing such a future like that java script  is compile separate in the background with another core of CPU. I think that they just need a little push up with real developers. They need to work more on security issues.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

seefizzle said:

Oh man that whole thing made me laugh . Although I have to ask: why hotmail....ewwww

But I agree, won't touch IE 9 with a 10ft stick. I'll stick with my FF.

jasonk1229 said:

Definitely trying to be more chrome and firefox like

Staff
Jos Jos said:

At first I thought it was just the pre-release, but this Cnet article suggests the final version won't work with XP either -- mind you it will be a ~10-year old operating system by then. IE 9 is still a long way off so we'll see.

windmill007 said:

If they allowed/support Ad-Block it wouldn't be as bad of a browser. Just to many viruses/pop-ups with out it.

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

as long as we have choices & good adversity, OK for me i shall use all for different purposes, like I've always been doing. Chrome for most stuffs requiring some gotcha thingy, My Firefox overloaded with plugins & a bookmark bar that goes way down the road for my favorite video games trailers & blog & IE6 (yes i didn't upgrade) on 1 windows & IE8 on another for usual simple stuff on some specific sites.

it's all the best in all worlds

cheers!

rajmond said:

Maybe they will make it more secure then the previous version (IE 8)...which means new internet explorer=new internet explorer threats!

elroacho72 said:

There are alot of IE haters here , but I am looking forward to the full release because I think it's a pretty good browser over all, and lately with IE 8 really good so lets just wait and see it could be the W7 of Microsoft's IE meaning it could change everything for IE popularity.

rhgarne said:

First and foremost, I have never liked IE, no matter what release! MS likes to bundle it so you really have no control over it. IE has been and always will be a piece of crap!!! IE9 will probably be the same with more "crap" added on.. I believe real "Techies" use browser/mail clients "they" install on "their" equipment. Personally, I use Firefox & Thunderbird and disable as much of IE as possible. Unfortunately, some valued sites require one to use IE....

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm really into the idea of the java script s running on another core, resource hungry java is like the cookie monster comes to computerland :P

drasho said:

for the person that says that dosnt like ie... that because u just hate microsoft and refuse to try their product... =P it true ie sucked before but now their putting it together and it pretty decent with hte release 8... firefox, chrome, ie ... it just a matter of preference now because they are all fast and work well

ain77 said:

I look forward to the beta soon. Always liked IE. Still speed is slow compared to other browsers. Hope this can improve.

theoscentral said:

I'm loving it! As a web developer, I'm digging the HTML5 integrations

There are times you do not know why in the world some software are installed on your system. This is the case with IE, Window media player, and some other added " useless software from Microsoft. Seriously, why don't they just make IE an open source to let smart programmer handle the dirty job MS has failed to do? I will be willing to spend my time trying to improve it but for the sake of Xst let people enjoy a crap free browser

pipopaz said:

Vrmithrax said:

I think part of the reason is because half of the security vulnerabilities come from previous IE like 6 and so on, heck even some still in the latest one. Maybe they are trying to make it more secure with a more recent OS?

Thompson said:

I just hope they secure it better than previous releases.

Aneesh said:

When will its orginal version releases?

seefizzle said:

TorturedChaos said:

seefizzle said:

But I agree, won't touch IE 9 with a 10ft stick. I'll stick with my FF.

I use Gmail for everything. I have a 5 year old hotmail account that I check once a month.

InsaneVr6 said:

Vrmithrax said:

Honestly, I think it's time people moved on from XP, because I assume that is what you mean when people are being bludgeoned into upgrades. Win 7 runs amazingly on my XP machine, and I get awesome, well needed features and security updates.

IE is not my favorite browser but I use it a lot at school and will be willing to try any new version they release.

RockandRepublic said:

I want the free Unicorn, but can do without IE.

JMMD JMMD, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Sounds like it has some decent new features. The most important thing for me is the speed. I really don't care about all the integrated crap they bloat the browser with. I just want a simple, secure browser. I care about nothing else.

Yoda8232 said:

Wow IE 9 is actually really fast in the graphical stuff, but yet again when this comes out Firefox 4.0 will be out. So, IE 9 will probably get killed again. But yes this does look good for IE.

buttus said:

IE 6 lasted for SO long and I guess now with the pressure from Firefox, Chrome and even Safari that Microsoft is blazing through new IE versions. I am still getting used to 8 and now it appears 9 is about to descend upon us.

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

focusing heavily on performance improvements

What?? Performance improvements!? That's a first.

anakinskyrunner said:

seefizzle said:

So true xD

Although I'm pretty impressed by the Public Preview. I mean for Internet Explorer that thing is fast! I also like the hardware acceleration. However, I still wait to see it wrapped in the shell - maybe they update it, maybe not. Opening tabs and such is taking so much time in IE7+8, hopefully they improve this.

Well I'll stick with Opera 10.5 :)

Serag said:

wow, I don't see Any reason why they wouldn't be dedicate to release fast patches and fixes to IE's security holes and such..

You people whinging about IE and continually rehashing your tedious I hate M$ bullshit really get on my moobs.

You all need to get out more. A browser is a browser - in the real world I never notice IE running java script slower than Chrome and nor do you.

Acid3 percentages - yawn.

Native Java compilation - sleepy snuffles.

The only people with any real justification for disliking IE are web developers because keeping sites compatible with the likes of IE6 is a PIA, but most you lot clearly arent developers, you're not bright enough. You're just tedious people who think by picking Firefox or Chrome over IE you are making some great statement against a corporation.

Dullards. I bet you think buying a Mac is changing the world too. Oh and don't forget you're trusty linux partition gathering dust on your hard drive. Makes me weep!

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I use FF 3.6 as my primary browser for most of the time; but frankly despite few of IE8's shortcomings its a considerably faster and more responsive than FF. I think IE9 should FF a run for its money from what I've read so far, specially that background java compiling ability and perhaps at last emergence of flash alternative (may be, I hope); Chrome and Safari aren't worth mentioning IMHO; if I really need to look at a 3rd option I'd rather choose Opera, specially the newer 10.5 is pretty nice piece of tech.

Jay Pfoutz Jay Pfoutz, Malware Helper, said:

Development is going along ok. But, Microsoft still has work on it.

Their visual effects will be similar to those of Aero. This means that certain hardware will have to be used for it. I do think they are on the right track.

But, then again, IE 8 is still young, so I would not be pushing IE 9, yet.

sagejay said:

I had a lot of problems with Internet Explorer a few years ago, it kept crashing on me, maybe I should give it another shot? Since they'll be some sort of "Performance improvements".

Until then I'll stick with my trusty old Firefox =)

Thompson re:"I wonder how Firefox, Chrome, Safari and Opera will react to this, looks like IE may actually be making some big strides.I just hope they secure it better than previous releases. " Thomson just to clarify the claims are not at all authorized many bloggers have said the tests to have manipulations.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Wow, just in time. I haven't actually bothered to agree to the EULA for IE-8 yet. So I guess this will be something else to ignore.