EVGA Classified SR-2 fits twin six-core Xeon processors

By on March 17, 2010, 7:45 PM
EVGA has launched the "mother of all motherboards," a dual-socket PCB capable of housing two of Intel's six-core Xeon processors. Officially dubbed the Classified SR-2, the board uses Intel's 5220 chipset and has twin LGA1366 sockets, providing the foundation for a colossal 12-core, 24-threaded monster box. It's worth noting that Intel's Core i7-980X isn't supported.

Along with space for two server-grade chips, the motherboard houses 12 DIMM slots with support for up to 48GB of DDR3 1333MHz RAM, and seven PCIe x16/8 slots supporting up to four-way SLI or CrossFireX. It also has dual gigabit Ethernet, two SATA III, six SATA II, two eSATA, two USB 3.0, and six rear-mounted USB 2.0 ports, as well as eight-channel HD audio.

Obviously squeezing all of that onto an ATX board would be a nightmare, so the Classified SR-2 makes use of the new HPTX form factor and measures 15x13.6-inches. To accompany the board, EVGA will introduce a new PSU rated at 1200W, with a peak power output of 1500W and six +12v rails capable of pumping 38A each.

EVGA is currently selling the Classified SR-2 for $600. No word on pricing for the identically-branded PSU, but some say it's a rebadged Antec TPQ-1200, and that's fetching around $250.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

LOL...holy crap that is most definitely "the mother" of all motherboards. If you completely loaded it up with the two processors (12 cores) and 48 GB of RAM, what could you possibly use it for? Run Crysis at 500 fps? :p

BlindObject said:

K, someone needs to max it out and play Crysis asap.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Sure thing, just send me $10k and I'll get right on that

Deso said:

Uhm.... are there even any application that support TWO physical cpus.....??? or how the hell does that work

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Software applications, at least in general, make no distinction between the number of sockets. One eight core CPU or two quad-cores, for example still represents eight cores.

As to how many app's would benefit from sixteen physical cores and sixty-four PCIe lanes...well, I'd hazard a guess and say this mobo + seven single slot 9800GT's (or similar) would make an interesting Folding @ Home rig.

As for how it works. In much the same way as the desktop X58 chipset works, except that Xeon CPU's have two QPI's (QuickPath Interconnect) instead of one. Where the Core i7 9xx series use a QPI to connect the CPU to the chipset, the Xeon use a second QPI each to connect with each other - which is why the Core i7 9xx series cannot be used with Intel 55xx (dual socket) LGA1366 motherboards.

EDIT: Might need a bigger (or multiple) PSU.

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Deso said:

Should just be treated as multiple processes, as far as programs are concerned. The multi-CPU handling thing has been around for ages, used to be common in server applications prior to multi-core chips.

EVGA motherboard quaility has been very lacking as of late.

I hate to buy that sucker and have issues. Can you imagine Tech support to telling you "Pull the CPU, uuh, I mean CPUs" "Do you have a couple of extra CPUs lying around to try."

nah....

seefizzle said:

One day, when I'm a billionaire...

Tizzlejack Tizzlejack said:

SR = Super Record?

I'm always put off by any technology that tags "super" in the name.

That aside, I still wouldn't mind acquiring one of these.

I want 2 for my birthday

EXCellR8 EXCellR8, The Conservative, said:

well at least it's an EVGA mobo that doesn't use a nvidia chipset...

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

well at least it's an EVGA mobo that doesn't use a nvidia chipset...

No worries on that score. EVGA have been exclusively Intel for some time. You're much more likely to see an nVidia chipset on an....AMD socket motherboard

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I went and send a mass spam to my msn messenger buddies to check this mothermotherboard out, and they all went crazy... all of them! lol

supyo said:

slick looking mobo!

skitzo_zac skitzo_zac, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

The Inquirer have one running dual Xeon 5680s here.

They are using a pre launch Version 0.0 of the board but still managed to get the Xeons up to 5.6Ghz on Liquid Nitrogen.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

This looks awesome lol. Maybe one day nice things like this will be affordable =P.

Timonius Timonius said:

Very sweet. Definitely for a specialty market.

Yoda8232 said:

Ok honestly, for a server yes this would be amazing.

But having dual CPU's like this and huge amounts of RAM won't help you that much at all in gaming. I'd rather have a single 980X on a good X58 motherboard that I can put four HD 5870's on with 6-12GB of RAM. Not that I need that much power. :P

If you don't believe me Maximum PC had a "Dream PC" a long time ago that had dual GPU's crazy RAM like this would but setup as. And build like I described destroyed it in gaming.

Yeah gimme my dual Corsair HX-1000's. @ "Peter Tan reports that this mobo running 2 x Xeon @4.2GHz (1.4v) +12Gb RAM + 4 x GTX285 Classified (everything at full load) draws 1,390 watts....can't wait for the LN2 madness to begin!"

rajmond said:

I think this is for now one of the most powerful motherbords... King of kings

Serag said:

What a freaking monster..I wonder how much power it'll draw if it's fully loaded!

Thompson said:

That thing is a true MONSTER.

Can any software or OS' even support that much damn power? That is off the hook.

I might actually buy that if it's even worth it.

ToastOz said:

If people pay stupid money for 4 graphics cards than these things will sell like hot cakes.

ToastOz said:

I hate it when people say it does nothing for graphics when sli/crossfire for 3 or more gfx cards are bottle-necked by current processor speeds only.

Kovach said:

TomSEA said:

hahaha good one. I think it's just show of . And by the way, it's not that expansive isn't it? (for such a high performance motherboard)? What do you think guys?

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

So are there actually any cases out there which will house this thing?

fref said:

Wow, that's one nice motherboard! The price is a bit less nice, though, but with all the features, I guess it's justified. I wonder if it will eventually support the i7 980X via a firmware update or if it's really a limitation with the board?

waterytowers said:

when does this come in a laptop?

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

slh28 said:

So are there actually any cases out there which will house this thing?

Tons... I have one (Thermaltake Mozart TX) that I just bought for a gaming/htpc, but this mb is just way outta my league... Perhaps I can apply for a grant.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I am not sure it would fit in Thermaltake's Level 10 casing; but for that price it could rival that motherboard ...... and if push comes to shove ....... I am sure not many can push it to limits; except may be perhaps people who use multi-threaded / engineering applications.

Note: Frankly, I am unsure that casing can hold it; but if you only consider price, it is just as outrageously expensive.

akash02cse said:

is it really going to work at 500fps

rskapadia2294 said:

lol! two six core processors? dats gr8!

who has the money to buy them both?

lol! serioulsy its gr8!

hmmm lets c how many ppl buy it!

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

Kovach said:

TomSEA said:

Considering the expandability of premium single processor motherboards, I'd admit that is not the brightest spot for this particular motherboard. However I do think it's reasonable, especially when the main attraction is obviously the dual sockets and high max RAM cap. Obviously the power draw is going to be huge on this thing, so perhaps that's one reason the options appear a bit trim. However if I were to buy one of these, I would still have empty internal SATA ports. I also hate that even though I'm not usually even pushing my core 2 duo laptop, a part of me still has the desire to buy this and build something incredible. I would love to run some benchmarks with this thing : )

only 1333 mhz for the ram? fail.

I have 1600 mhz ocz in my lowly x58 pro-e mobo made by msi.. 180 bucks!

flocka said:

holy roflskates batman

yorro said:

As if there is a difference between a highend single CPU and this twin CPU. Buying this for personal use is either pointless or just an overclocker enthusiasts.

Recipe7 Recipe7 said:

I wonder if it's 1+1=2 or 1+1=1.3

I bet that the dual cpu mb will be just like SLI or Crossfire

danteoz said:

Makes a really nice CAD machine

I will like to test this mobo with maya,mudbox, worldmachine 2 for making game level

Docnoq said:

rskapadia2294 said:

lol! two six core processors? dats gr8!

who has the money to buy them both?

lol! serioulsy its gr8!

hmmm lets c how many ppl buy it!

Not to pick on you or anything, but I have noticed that all of your comments are formatted in the '6th grade girl' font. Why is that?

Back on topic. I do not keep up on server-side hardware, so how does this compare to current server motherboards? I would imagine servers have mobos similar to or better than this already available, and if that is the case, then this would theoretically be targeting consumers. As others have stated, what kind of consumer could possibly make use of this?

EduardsN said:

I wonder if crysis runs better on two xeons or a core i7.

Maybe it will be like dual channel memory vs triple channel memory where games benefit just because there is an extra channel to communicate with the memory not that it actually needs this much bandwidth(marginal performance gains) and anyway I dont know how a xeon would compare to an i7 in gaming

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Docnoq said:

rskapadia2294 said:

lol! two six core processors? dats gr8!

who has the money to buy them both?

lol! serioulsy its gr8!

hmmm lets c how many ppl buy it!

Yah i noticed that too..... its a bit annoying really rskapadia2294

Don't mean to pick on ur tho.

Ok on to topic

O_O WOW! That's one hell of a motherboard. I want a build with that for my graphic design computer at work

levar said:

OMG thats a beast!! I think I'm in love holy freaking O.O wow makky someone probably already said it but this is gonna be amazing for servers! Damn they even made a new form factor :0 that's insane if this goes in to the market :| I don't know what I would do with myself I mean it has everything you could possible think of that you would want out of a motherboard I mean omg I'm looking at the southbridge right now smexy!! I can go on forever about this mobo "48GB of DDR3 1333MHz RAM" :| right now I think 8GB would be too much 48GB!!?! why? :'( this is too much for me omg I'm in awe. Holy crap! This is not real lol :'( I love technology!!!

nazartp said:

The only reason that I can see for such horsepower in a home computer, is to render movies/graphical objects. My son complains sometimes even about his Core i7 920 setup when it takes forever to render complex objects for animations. I use old C2D 8400 to edit photos and it's somewhat sluggish applying filters in Photoshop. However, I'm not ready to drop that much money for a rig that would not be used for professional purposes - would rather get another camera body or a lens. But that's just me.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

The pricing and feature set actually seem to stack up quite well alongside the the other dual socket boards. Factor in the ability to use non-ECC RAM (considerably cheaper) and the quality of the (over)power delivery, overclocking ability (which server boards typically lack), SATA 6Gb and USB3 and the board would make an attractive hybrid personal workstation. If you use heavily multi-threaded apps (graphics, CAD etc, folding) or are interested in obliterating benchmark records then I can see the attaction. For EVGA it is mission accomplished- a niche product that has, and will continue to garner PR attention out of all proportion to the number of people who will ever own one - a refined and better marketed Skulltrail.

ansarimikail said:

Completely insane, I'll wait five years before this becomes "standard" and then buy it.

Richy2k9 said:

WOW!

Sorry, i think i was pulled into that whirlwind (or black hole who knows!) ...

yes, would make a perfect machine that has no use to me, hey someone said folding @ home, yeah why not, I'm at 14 jobs done till now, maybe i would be able to go over a 100 in less than a day with that 1.

Maybe for Crysis 5 (no way, 4 will maxx it out) .... but then what will they come up to in 6 months?

will check out then.

thank you techspot for the share!

cheers!

Renegeek said:

Oh my goodness, WOW, that is makeing me drool, i want that board... I want too see that thing boot Server 2008 R2... i bet that would be killer for any app, or game. (some day i would like to order that for my system)

tripplejjj said:

I have no idea what to do with this motherboard nor can I afford it. But I want it. I will buy one and put it on my credit card because people always use a credit card to pay for things that they can't afford. So I am doing what society is expected of me. Seriously, if I had the money to burn, I would buy it just to brag about it. Good going EVGA.

bigclick said:

Oh-my-god... I've been waiting to see a dual or quad processor board just show up. It was something I considered 10 years ago. Just insane. I'd need T-1 to do this any justice.

This reminds me of the time I went shopping for my first computer and wound up calling Sun. Too much stuff! Way out of my league!