Stragglers: Windows 7 SP1 is only a minor update

By on March 18, 2010, 3:56 PM
Microsoft has shared a few details about the first service packs for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, and they seem to be a relatively minor affair. According to a company spokesman, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 will mostly contain "minor updates," along with the usual inclusion of previous patches and hotfixes.

Among the handful of new features is an updated Remote Desktop client that takes advantage of RemoteFX, a new remote access platform set to launch with Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. Another new addition to Server 2008 R2 is called "Dynamic Memory," which allows virtual machine memory to be configured on the fly.

Given the limited scope of SP1, Microsoft suggests that customers upgrade to the latest version of Windows sooner, rather than later. Redmond says Windows 7 is ready for commercial deployments now, and many organizations are jumping aboard. A recent survey of over 900 IT administrators showed that 46% wouldn't wait for SP1.

Redmond hasn't released an official timeframe for the forthcoming service packs, but they'll be delivered through Windows Update once available. Many speculate that SP1 will arrive in time for Christmas, and if Vista's SP1 launch pattern is any indication, it will land sometime in late November 2010.

EXCellR8 EXCellR8, The Conservative, said:

good. more reason to not waste my time with installing it...

dustin_ds3000 dustin_ds3000, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

EXCellR8 said:

good. more reason to not waste my time with installing it...

how is keeping windows updated wasting time

elroacho72 said:

I am really interested in the "Dynamic Memory," thats sounds pretty cool.

ain77 said:

i don't know about you guys but i'm using 64bit win7 & running latest updates. However i sometimes get this lock up or system shutdown freeze where i have to reset my pc to restart windows. Anyone else face this problem?

boyese said:

I thought the point of a service pack is to get all the major bug fixes/updates done quickly........kind of takes the importance out if its just minor updates.

I dont think it needs a SP yet anyway.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

ain77 said:

I usually put mine to sleep, but there have been one or two instances when I'm shutting down that it doesn't fully do it and hangs for about 15 minutes. But it happens so seldom I really haven't bothered investigating it further.

z0phi3l said:

boyese said:

I dont think it needs a SP yet anyway.

I really doesn't but there are some shops out there that ignorantly will not touch Win7 till SP1 so MS is giving them an SP1

Renegeek said:

i wonder if the SP1 will have the patch this is going to stop hackers from useing the OS, i heard something about the updates that going to be doning that. Wondering if SP1 will have thoes patches or not?

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

It'll be interesting to see Win7's adoption rate among businesses come end of the year after SP1 is out and see if those predictions of this being the most successful OS ever come true. In the mean time I need to get my family and self upgraded to Win7 >.> .

ToastOz said:

Installing win7 on business based computers more than likely will reduce productivity mainly because it'll take time for people to adjust and Win 7 gives people more options to procrastinate

tripplejjj said:

If an update improves the performance, stability, and security, then I welcome it.

Eddo22 said:

I wish they would fix the stupid irritating problems with it. It's irritating when you get an error and have to type it into your browser. Every program should have the ability to copy/paste.

Geek4life said:

Well this could be a good thing, it could be there was not much to fix as it has been a very successful launch so far. I think this is a good thing.

levar said:

that is quite minor, just shows you how stable Windows 7 is. But I was looking forward to something major maybe some GUI changes and/or improvement of security and compatibility with 64-bit driverments%vements, but its doing quite well take your time M$.

thebluemeaner said:

I hope this update fixes the memory allocation issues...

pipopaz said:

ain77 said:

How old is your computer and what are the specs? It might have something to do with it, since some of the problems might be due to hardware compatibility.

Timonius Timonius said:

I'm really tempted to get Windows 7 now.

skitzo_zac skitzo_zac, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I have no issues with Windows 7, but hey I won't say a bad word against MS updating it no matter how minor the updates may be.

Windows 7 is SP3 for Vista how many other windows OS's have they had that had more than 3 SPs?

Thompson said:

I'm running Windows 7, was wondering how long it'd be.

Not a major deal I guess, shame, I kind of look forward to a big update.

Aneesh said:

what can do those didnt having the internet connection?If it is released as a patch file evey one can install it......

Yoda8232 said:

As I said a while before, what is there to update? Seriously.

I've had no problems with 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate, expect for when I click the start menu no icons appear after using it I can only see stuff if I search. But that can be fixed in a small update.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Win2k comes to mind as it had 4 SP's and is in its last year of support. Got some fond memories of Win2k , still have it on an old machine too.

ansarimikail said:

What happended to a windows user having to patch every 5 days?. But still, it shows the solidity of the OS.

JMMD JMMD, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I always wait for the first service pack before moving on to a new OS. Even though this seems like a limited scope SP I'll still wait before doing my first Windows 7 install at home.

compdata compdata, TechSpot Paladin, said:

JMMD said:

This is exactly why they are pushing it out now, as a lot of people follow this philosophy.

buendia said:

I hope they finally fix Windows Update bug, which manifests itself by clearing the list of new updates neccessary to install.

nazartp said:

ToastOz said:

Honestly? How many business users actually change any settings that would require any serious digging in the innards of the system? I work on the floor with 85 colleagues of mine and maybe three or four of them go beyond clicking "Start" and selecting an appropriate program while they are using their business machines.

On the other hand, Office 2007 threw a monkey wrench in our productivity big time.

rskapadia2294 said:

hey windows 7 is far better than vista and also xp!

i have falled in love wid it! :P

the features are great and the look is also fantastic!

but as of now, i m lookin forward to windows 8! and not windows 7 SPs!

Badfinger said:

I haven't seen 7 ask for any updates in 2 weeks or so? I have updating turned on.

I agree on SP1 being blasted as minor/not needed? Foolish nonsense.

i have the same problem. But mine is a P4 HT.

alcarin2030 alcarin2030 said:

tripplejjj said:

All of that is completely fine right now.

Puiu Puiu said:

I was expecting a bit more, but if they fix some of the current bugs then i'm happy. (btw i'm suspecting the drivers not the OS for the bugs i've seen so far on my laptop)

bigclick said:

I usually wait to see if the updates don't cause other problems, but the hardware is sometimes more to blame. It is sometimes a crap shoot.