Weekend Open Forum: Your next hardware upgrade will be...?

By on March 20, 2010, 3:52 AM
Looking past the troubled economy, 2009 was actually a good year for the tech industry -- and in particular for PC enthusiasts. It marked the arrival of much-anticipated standards like USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gbps, a deluge of faster, larger and more reliable solid-state drives, the first DirectX 11-capable graphics cards and Microsoft's successful launch of Windows 7 after a troubled run with Windows Vista.

Intel remained unchallenged in the high-end processor segment with its Bloomfield Core i7 lineup and further cemented its position by launching the mainstream Core i5/i7 Lynnfield parts. Motherboard makers had a serious range of quality and reasonably priced products on offer, DDR3 memory prices came down a bit and, well, you get the picture. Things don't seem to be slowing down in 2010, either, now that Intel has launched its 32nm Clarkdale processors featuring built-in graphics and Nvidia looks ready to finally go against AMD’s ATI Radeon HD 5000 series with Fermi.

There won’t be any shortage of games to throw at these cards, that's for sure. With all these great advances, at some point many of you will consider updating your rig to keep up with the latest technologies. In this edition of our Weekend Open Forum we want to know what your next upgrade will be. Perhaps a new graphics card to play games in their full visual glory? An SSD to speed up your OS? Or maybe build an entire system based on a new platform for good measure?

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I just did my final component upgrade for this system; and that will be that for this machine. I hope it will last couple of years, and by the time sandybridge would have matured as a platform; perhaps that will be the time to get a new system, also may be Intel would have a discrete graphic solution out in the wild as well, just to add things up in the mix.

Staff
Jos Jos said:

What did you get? (That's kind of the point of this thread =P)

Clrabbit said:

Not to long ago I maxed out the Ram and it's already running the best CPU for the sockettype.... all my SATA and both PATA ports are taken... I'm out of firewire and USB connects, I may get a USB3.0 PCI-x Card or something, If I'm still using this system when ultra fast USB 3.0 Flash drives really start hitting the market. Maybe one of the SSD Raids on a PCI-x card would be cool once there $500 cheaper.

That's really about it, I'll buy a new system when Good 8xCore CPUs hit the market. So depending on how long that takes maybe a new video card in a year and half ~ two years. I mean I have a 5850HD and I never play on any thing above a 20" screen. So I really debt I'll be pushing it's limits for gaming any time soon.

Thompson said:

It's going to be a fairly long time till my upgrade, it will probably be a whole new computer when it happens.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm waiting for SSDs to come down to an affordable level, probably near the end of this year. Hopefully by that time USB 3.0 will be more common and Intel will have lowered their prices for their i7 processors (wishful thinking I know!)

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Jos said:

What did you get? (That's kind of the point of this thread =P)

Well Jos:

I replaced my good old E6600 with Q8400 few weeks ago; and in the last week I've replaced EVGA 9600GT with MSI 5770 (I installed it in my younger brother's computer, and now have a 7600GT lying around from that machine). Although I haven't bothered replacing one thing, i.e. one of my RAM modules went bad and I just chucked it out.

I guess I have enough RAM for what I do any way.

Edit:

Alright for some weird reason smiley isn't being displayed hmm.

Bought a 5770, should arrive by tuesday. And that will be it for this system, maybe I'll get sandy bridge when it becomes available.

Puiu Puiu said:

If things go well i might end up building a new rig. specs i want (now): core i5 750, 4gb ddr3 1600MHz (upgrade to 8gb latter), Radeon HD 5830, ~75$ sound card,1TB WD Caviar Black, Samsung XL2370.

It's a pretty expensive rig so i don't know if i'll be able to buy it before the end of this year. It depends on my income and prices.

UT66 said:

4770 holding up. no reason to upgrade. i could use a notebook, but honestly i think im never going to buy one, why? i like to control my hardware, if something is wrong with my pc ( big if) i can fix it, with a notebook? i have to call dell, hp, acer, etc. no thanks

Chazz said:

I'm waiting for sandy bridge and the new bulldozer apu systems come out. I was gonna build a rig in 2009 but I put it off untill 2010(since that's when they were supposed to come out.)

Since both AMD's new apu and Intel's sandy bridge should require a new socket I can't really get much outside of a case/gpu right now. I also figure SSD's should be more affordable by the end of 2011.

Processor= whichever next gen gives the best price/performance

Video card= crossfire 5850, unless nvidia's chips lower the 5970. I believe new cards will be out in 2011 but if it's not anything revolutionary I won't pick them up.

Storage= 128-256 SSD for my OS, and performance demanding programs. 1TB HD for my movies/music/pics and other crap.

OS= windows 7,of course. With a linux partition.

For everything else I'll need to wait and see what comes out.

My most recent revisions were completed back in November, and the system is pretty maxed out -- at least for my needs: GA-EX58-UD5 mobo, i7-960 cpu, 12GB DDR3 1600 ram, passively cooled HD4850/1GB video, dual 150GB VelociRaptors (RAID-1, system & apps), dual 1TB Caviar Blacks (RAID-1, primary storage), 8 1.5TB Caviar Greens (RAID-6, secondary storage, w/ Adaptec 5805 controller), Lian Li PC-V2010 case, PCP&C Silencer 750 PSU, additional hard drives for off-line backup storage, a pair Dell U2410 monitors, a Filco keyboard (Cherry "brown" key switches), a Logitech MX-518 mouse, a Brother MFC-8480dn multi-function laser printer and an Epson R2880 photo printer. I'm hoping it will last a couple of years. Primary use: photography.

lmanlo said:

I already got my 5770 and that's the last upgrade I needed for my computer.

skitzo_zac skitzo_zac, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I need to get a whole new system. Hopefully I will be able to afford one by the end of the year.

Basially I want an i7 system, probably with an SSD and then a couple of 1.5TB drives for storage. I have decided that I want an eyefinity setup with a 5870 probably a 2GB model if they don't have a huge price increase over 1GB models. To go with the 5870 probably 3 cheapish 22-24" monitors with the thinest bezel I can find.

Reloader2 said:

I think I'll by a new monitor.

Oh yeah, my favorite hardware store has an offer. I don't know it yet it will be unlocked 26. March at 13.37 (Yahoow 1337!). Maybe I will buy that.

Last time they did this they offered an AMD Phenom II X4 965, half it's normal price!

Here we go

[link]

LGraves said:

Just ordered my GIGABYTE GA-770TA-UD3 MB. Putting it inside an Antec 900 that I just got. This will be the start of my new quad core/Windows 7 machine.

bigclick said:

I've put everything into my system and extended its life. I don't have a great reason to move to a newer bigger system but its always in the back of my mind. I'd go for it if the "right" trackball came along fully supported in the extra button software. The processor and ram will be more than a goodly amount when the time comes.

Since I'm still using old 6600GT my next upgrade will feature a DX11 card. That's basically everything for this year - next year, nex build.

rskapadia2294 said:

may be an entire system with ATI 5000 series GPU !

core i3 or i5! and one SSD!

forgot to mention - DDR3 ram!

Richy2k9 said:

hello...

i think i'll need to rob some banks for my next gaming rig (jk jk!)

In the immediate, i need a new PC monitor, but i also intend to use it with my console for 3D gameplay after some updates. so i'll probably go for something with decent resolution (HD or near HD & better) with at least 120Hz refresh rate & DVI or HDMI input.

I've talked about a new gaming PC or MAC in former posts, i just can settle on the specs for things just come out every month.

As i was waiting for Diablo III to come out to build the PC, i may do so earlier when Crysis 2 will be out, unless that 1 looks better on my console (which i doubt!) ...

CPU: would be intel based, i5/i7

RAM: minimum 4 GB

GFX: nVidia based, something middle range

Hard-disk: 1 SSD for the system (the 40 Gb will do, but i'm much after a bigger one, will use multiple os) + 1 tera mechanical one for the multimedia (could be external)

If i don't get the money soon to build that system i may go for a laptop, maybe a MAC then for my actual games are from steam & blizzard (older ones that are compatible MAC too)

will go though some of the latest reviews here on techspot (nvidia GFX, some Mobo & CPUs) & hope to have a big idea of what i need, for what i want seem to be quite out of bound

cheers!

BlindObject said:

I'm going for a i7 set up with the 920, ASrock Mobo, 6gbs of ddr3 Gskill, either a gtx 260 or a 4890. Can't wait, I'm coming from a C2d e8500 with 4gb Ddr2 crucial ballistix. The duo core is really fast but I'm ready for a quad.

Technochicken Technochicken, TechSpot Paladin, said:

My next upgrade will definitely be my video card, especially since I have a 1920x1080 monitor. I have a copy of Windows 7 64 bit that I will install at the same time as the new video card, whenever I get around to it. After that, the next upgrade will probably be my ram, to 8 GB. That may sound useless, but as it is now I eat through my ram rather quickly while using PS CS4.

Decimae said:

My monitor, especially with the system I own now. I have a 4870, athlon(I) 64 X2 at 2.7 GHz, a 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 and a damaged HP 17 inch VGA monitor. After that probably my CPU.

Serag said:

My next hardware upgrade will be in the summer, and hopefully it will be an entire new build from scratch

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Ooooh...my favorite subject! I've been doing piecemeal upgrades since my last major one about 18 months ago. My most recent addition being a 26" ASUS 1900x1200 monitor.

My next major upgrade will be next spring. I love my Antec 900 case, so am keeping that. Otherwise I'm planning on going with the i-7 975 Extreme, a Gigabite board (won't know the model until the time comes as they continuously release new boards), minimum 6GB DDR3 memory (probably Gskill - have had a lot of luck with that brand) and a new video card. Again, won't know whether to go with nVidia or ATI, but the dust will have settled by next spring and an obvious choice should be apparent. But it will be whatever the top-of-the-line card is for that manufacturer. I'm stashing away about $2,500 to do this upgrade. Can't wait!

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

For my main computer, I'd like to get a 5850 or 5870 with two more 24" monitors, for a nice eyefinity setup.

But realistically I'll probably retire my second computer and replace it with a Clarkdale HTPC setup.

Cost is about the same, and I can probably only swing one this year.

CodePhoeniX said:

Either some HD's and windows7, or new processor/mobo/ram. (phenom II [x6 or x4])

Timonius Timonius said:

For hardware I'm looking at upgrading my motherboard and cpu (and probably ram to, as the technology is tied to whatever motherboard i purchase). Which is pretty much right next to a complete system overhaul/replacement. Other than that, if I can acquire a full copy of win7 ultimate for cheap I'll be doing that first.

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

Pending an "upgrade" in my career, my next computer upgrade will be building a Core i7 system, likely with at least 6 GB of DDR3 RAM, and a couple of Raptor drives. Beyond that I'm not sure what the configuration will be.

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

Forgot to mention I do already have a copy of Win 7 ultimate x64 ready for my next computer, and an Acer 24" 1920X1200 monitor (sadly not 120Hz)

note: this is not a grab for an extra post, I did forget and I'm not in the contest anyways!

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Seeing as I already went ahead and upgraded to i7 back in august my core is pretty good for a couple years, I really don't see a 4 GHz i7 being a bottle neck for a while. The only thing I have left to upgrade is my video card solution, my 8800GTs are starting to show their age. I've been waiting to see what Fermi actually had to offer and depending on what kind of numbers it puts out will determine my upgrade path, IE 480s or 5870s. I'll know next week. after that I will get a new 1K watt PSU and eventually get a Bluray drive or a SSD solution of sorts.

seefizzle said:

I just recently built a pretty nice computer. AMD Phenom X4 964, awesome gigabyte motherboard with usb 3 and sata 6gbps. The only thing I skimped on was the graphics card. I had most of the computer together and I just wanted it working, so I bought a bullshit ATI 4350 card. My board doesn't support any graphics whatsoever, so I had to throw something in there.

So that's my next upgrade. I will probably get two graphics cards and throw them in there in crossfire. Two 200 dollar ATI cards of some sort. The shit is a bit confusing so I don't know exactly which cards I'm going to get.

mystic420 said:

Wow! What a question... I have spent the last year upgrading my system and I figure it will take another 3-4 months to finish. I'm very particular about the equipment i put into my system, so on that note...

Current system config...

Internal Storage= 4 WD drives totaling 2.5TB

Keyboard= Logitech G15

Mouse= Logitech G9

Monitor= Samsung 22" Flat panel

Future upgrades...

CPU/Chip set liquid cooling= 120x240 Radiator

GPU liquid cooling= 120x240 Radiator with Swiftech Komodo GTX275-P897 Full Coverage VGA Liquid Cooling System X3

Monitor= ViewSonic FuHzion VX2268wm 120 Hz LCD display for Nvidia 3D Vision

Beyond that I think I'm set... What do you think???

Obakemono said:

Since BattleField Bad Company 2 came out my current hardware just does not cut it any more! (AMD athlon X2 4200, 2 7950gt vidcards, 2gb mem, Foxconn 939 SLI mobo, 4 WD raptor 36gb HDDs). So I shopped around and decided to get a bit more current hardware:

Foxconn A79 AM2+ mobo, 2 Sapphire 5770 vid cards, 4 gb of Crucial DDR2, AMD 9850 X4 black cpu

I know these are not bleeding edge items but having such an older system I needed a refresh. I plan on selling the old stuff on ebay and get some AM3 items for my internet browsing computer.

I think that this year was a good one. All the advances that are happening in the computer industry is just amazing. I'll consider a SSD if the prices come down on them, but have to see on that one. So, who cannot wait until Windows 8, office 2010 comes out? And AMD's 6,8 and 12 core cpus?

Meh

Davidoff Davidoff said:

it'll be a new COOLER MASTER 460W extreme power plus PSU for me.....i have been waiting for it for quite some time

mystic420 said:

davidoff said:

That's too bad I just sold a 2 month old RaidMax 630 watt Power Supply for $45 on craigslist...

mystic420 said:

Keyboard= Logitech G15

Mouse= Logitech G9

Monitor= Samsung 22" Flat panel

Future upgrades...

CPU/Chip set liquid cooling= 120x240 Radiator

Monitor= ViewSonic FuHzion VX2268wm 120 Hz LCD display for Nvidia 3D Vision

Beyond that I think I'm set... What do you think???

Ooppps. forgot to mention my RAM...

Current RAM= 8GB of Corsair @800Mhz

matchu said:

I'd like to get an SSD. But that's expensive. Maybe I'lll get a second HDD and do a raid0 setup

IvanAwfulitch IvanAwfulitch said:

In all likelihood? I'd be building a new system entirely. I did a good job building my current one, and I'll likely keep a few parts. But with all the new stuff and the standards we're moving to, I can't see myself upgrading my current system and having it last long. I'm working with an E6750, a 9800gtx+ 512, 2 gigs of DDR3 1066, and a 150gb hard drive 7200 rpm, and my motherboard is an MSI P-35 neocombo.

I'd like to move to an i5 or i7, a motherboard with a PCI 2.0 slot or two, 4 gigs of ddr3 1066 or better, a new FERMI 470 or 480, a solid state drive with at least the twice the space of my current drive, and a bigger power supply to handle all the new equipment. My case and my peripherals are pretty much all I would keep. Such a move though will have to wait quite a while as I'm unemployed and have practically 0 income being a college student.

Whiffen Whiffen said:

My PSU blew out not to long ago and I have replaced it with a much better Corsair HX750.

I also have a Phenom II X4 955 that I am happy with and wanting to OC.

However my current motherboard is a pretty cheap Nvidia chipset (M3N78 Pro) so I'm hoping to get a nice ASUS Crosshair IV Formula when it hopefully arrives in April. That paired with some good Corsair DDR3 memory and either the 5870 2GB or 5970 2GB. Also looking out for a new case and blue ray burner.

Should last me a long time I hope And I might jump on a bulldozer to replace my phenom depending on how much of an increase there is in performance and the price is right.

Geek4life said:

Just upgraded to a Q9550 and could not be happier now all I need is a "5870". I am still using my 8800GTX but it is getting long in the tooth. Sign me up for a ATI 5870

I'm a computer enthusiast and in no way work for them but I found this very interesting especially since I am old enough to remember the Amgias but to young to have a job at the time :P

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

My next upgrade will be a downgrade. Selling the Obsidian 800D and replacing it with the 700D - no preinstalled window so I can get some custom etching and CNC work done. Will probably retire the Armor+ for a Lian Li PC-A77F in my secondary system.

Will leave the CPU/GPU upgrades for the foreseeable future- the next gen (2011) might offer better functionality, but haven't run into anything at present my present setups can't handle. Haven't seen or played a DX11 game yet worthy of the hoopla (just another variation of over-hyped eye-candy at present in the same vein as 8+ AA and PhysX).

I'll also wait awhile on the SSD tech until the process is a little less rough around the edges...although if someone made this affordable I think I might re-consider.

seefizzle said:

Can anyone tell me about putting an Nvidia card in an AMD system? Does it work well? Are there problems with that? Or should I just stick with an ATI card?

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

This is the same question you asked yesterday...

that was answered by ET3D...

Did you not like ET3D's answer? or maybe the answer was bewildering to you in it's complexity ?

Zenphic said:

I might get myself a new AMD processor. My current 5000+ BE has been giving me headaches with undervolting. For one, it's incompatible with RMClock. And I haven't been able to get it stable with CrystalCPUID under Windows 7 x64. I might get myself one of those AMD X3 440 or X4 630 and hopefully undervolt them with K10Stat!

mrtraver said:

I probably won't do much else to my rig except replace the 92mm side intake fan with a quieter 120mm one. My max resolution is 1280x1024, and i can play Crysis at "gamer" settings with my E8500, 260GTX, and 4 Gb DDR2 RAM. Maybe someday i will get a bigger monitor, then a new mobo, CPU, GPU, and memory sometime after that.

I would like to build a new rig for my stepson, who is saving up for a PS3. I can't convince him that for $200 I can upgrade his motherboard, memory, and CPU to let him play any modern games (i'll steal the 8800GT form my wife's computer) and that he will still have money left over to buy a few games. He is currently using a 3.06GHz P-IV with a 9600PRO AGP card.

yorro said:

Whole new computer, probably a highend i7 with a highend ATI 6 series.

unrealmp3 unrealmp3 said:

Possibly a new CPU and water-cooling system. I already have 8GB of RAM, a GeForce GTX 275 and 1TB of storage. My AMD Phenom X4 isn't bad, but I wouldn't mind having a Phenom II X4.

JMMD JMMD, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

My next upgrade will be all the core components, CPU, GPU, Mobo and RAM. My system is a few years old now but is still plenty fast for what I need right now. At some point I'd like to upgrade to an i5 system with a newer GPU and DDR3.

Deso said:

I just bought a new rig a few weeks ago for gaming;]

i3-530

ASUS P7H55-M PRO

G.Skill ripjaw 1600 Mhz

ASUS voltage tweak 5850

Antec modular 650W

Lian LI Lancool KW58

I already had hard drive monitor and dvd reader :P

as a gaming rig this is BIG bang for the buck everything except the 5850 cost me 400

so total was 700 for this badass

My next rig will probably not be untill Intel releases their next chipset that will replace X58 as the high end along with the next gen quad cores

that along with a mother board that can handle tri crossfire as I would buy 2 more 5850

and ofc a new power supply ;]

so my next rig will be