Microsoft to release out-of-band security update tomorrow

By on March 29, 2010, 6:22 PM
Microsoft announced today that it will release an out-of-band patch on Tuesday to fix nine security flaws in Internet Explorer. Among the holes is one (KB981374) that affects IE6 and 7, which can be used to gain control of a computer. An Israeli security researcher published the code for that vulnerability earlier this month and claimed the exploit had a 60 to 70% success rate.

Although that particular bug doesn't concern IE8, others in the cumulative patch do, so be sure to grab the update no matter what version of the browser you run. That said, the eight additional flaws were responsibly disclosed and Microsoft is unaware of any active attacks against them.

The patch will require a restart and should be released tomorrow around 10AM PDT. Microsoft will host a live webcast at 1PM to present information on the bulletin and take questions. The next regularly scheduled Patch Tuesday is set for April 13.

matrix86 matrix86 said:

OR you could just use Firefox, Opera, or Chrome, lol.

megrawab said:

matrix86 said:

OR you could just use Firefox, Opera, or Chrome, lol.

yeah... yeah... yeah... Chrome and Opera is doing well...

I read that microsoft is having a new browser project Gazelle. Until now I'm waiting and see if it can really outbound other browsers in the market...

h2kproduction said:

It's so lucky that I'm using IE8. But I wonder why people don't upgrade their web browsers, it's free? Firefox and Opera is good choices, but I don't think they don't have weekness, so IE is good enough with me.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Firefox or Chrome - 'nuff said.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Really, if you're still using IE-6, don't you deserve everything you get? Surfing the web with IE-6 amounts to purposely trolling for malware.

i don't disqualify explorer as a browser ,but i think Firefox if much faster and lighter technology then explorer also it have much more additions and useful stuff that works great even can use the ietab add on if you miss explorer so much and there is always chrome in his early stages that gonna be a great browser when age :)

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I think the post by "venisenorani" is spam? and the link is not relavent to the artical.

Actually i don't really know what it is? possibly an add on for firefox?

klpowell said:

Problem is many of us in the corporate world are required by management to stick with IE6 for compatiblity reasons with internal applications. This is a big problem at many large corporations which develope their own internal tools. I have been pushing for IE8 because of the IE6 compatiblity mode, but have been unsuccessful. On my workstation I was finally permitted to install IE7, I made us some story about needing it for a network management tool, but the rest of the PC's I am responsible are running IE 6 with no upgrade path yet discussed. It is sad and very frusterating from a system administrator view.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

klpowell said:

We have a similar problem at work, but not nearly as serious. For the most part we use FF or maybe IE8 if the page won't load correctly in FF, but there are a few web pages we need to access for work that won't load correctly in anything but IE6. Very frustrating.

jobeard jobeard, TS Ambassador, said:

hmm; this is a direct result of a poor management decision to allow IE* specific coding, when management should have asked

"What is the W3C standard reference model?"

which would have disallowed non-compliant coding practices.

As a consequence, I.T. gets stuck with these kinds of issues when they should be moving into the 21 century.

ahh jobeard dont gimme this crapp about management responsibility. The timeless difference between people who understand IT and people who manage, and are trying to act like they understand. ****-faced slobbers like you are making this word a better place through your fingerpointing techniques and told-you-so wisdom. These days all companies large or small face very basic questions of surviving and hence IT issues are getting pushed back on a 'we deal with this later' basis. People like you need to wake up and face the respn

jobeard jobeard, TS Ambassador, said:

we all have opinions and you're welcome to yours.

I gave you mine which was derived from working in the software industry for 37 years and watching uninform and technically incompetent 'managers' manage -- right or wrong is debatable -- but it's still my opinion.