Weekend Open Forum: How many displays are on your desk?

By on April 16, 2010, 11:44 PM
With an insatiable desire for big screens and high resolutions, it's only natural that multi-display setups are increasingly popular among tech buffs. From desk jockeys to gamers, having tons of screen real estate can be a godsend for productivity (I speak from experience) or simply make your FPS session that much more enjoyable.

Having been gifted the 27-inch LG M2762D-PM last week, I was officially initiated into the dual-display club -- and I'm hooked. Now that the novelty of having a secondary monitor is wearing off, I can truly say from a utilitarian stance that having two screens is a blessing -- and three would undoubtedly be handier.

In this edition of the Weekend Open Forum, we'd like to hear about your monitor setup and how it fits your needs. Are you still roughing it with a 15-inch CRT? Long upgraded to triple 30-inchers? No matter the case, feel free to share them in the comments. If you're interested, you can also upload a picture here.
*Image courtesy of TechSpot member Renegeek.

Midgetmax Midgetmax said:

I've been running dual 19" monitors mounted to the wall for a couple years now. I will never go back to a single monitor set up again. There is a pic in my gallery if you are interested. 3 monitors would be really nice but I don't have the space and playing on one screen for games is nice because I can have a video ir something else on the other monitor.

EpicPie EpicPie said:

2 24" and 1 28" monitors.

22" full hd, ocassionally go dual screen with 15" laptop if i want to, but normally use the 22" alone, but i find the smaller screen is great for hiding stuff like itunes or msn, while having chrome or something open on larger screen

3 screens 2 20inch lcds and 1 19inch crt. Middle screen splits tv for desktop and xbox 360 with vga cables. Crt mostly plays tv tunner. Right screen is used for web browsing. This is on a super old computer with a ati 9100 pci and a nvidia 6600gt. It is fun working with both drivers lol.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Dual display at work - one 15" laptop and a 22" HD. At home, a 26" HD. I only need one big display to play games.

24 22'' displays with 4 ATI 5870 Eyefinity (then I woke up). Planning a 2 display setup for my 5770.

I bought a 42" LCD two years ago to use as my monitor/TV cause it was "the biggest" thing i could get. Its cool now to have the TV, but I now realize a 42" 1920x1080 display from 4 ft away looks exactly like a 22" 1920x1080 display from 18 in away, lol.

treeski treeski said:

My desktop setup is a single 27" monitor, but I will probably add a smaller one on the side for basic programs like outlook and instant messaging stuff.

spikester48661 spikester48661 said:

22" and 37" its all i run.

TheArchitect said:

I use a 19" monitor dual screened with my 37" HDTV via HD cable. I use the tv for major things such as watching videos, gaming or reading articles like this one. As for the monitor It's basically my backup while I'm using the TV.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

One 19" though I am aiming for two when I find some desk space. My wife has a 24" screen she bought herself for graphic design work.

Yad Yad said:

A Samsung Syncmaster S2333 23'' only.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

One 20" 1600x1200 monitor.

Technochicken Technochicken, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I am currently running a 21.5" 1080p monitor, plus a 17" SyncMaster 740n. Even though I can't do any gaming stretched between the two, the second one is really amazingly helpful when it comes to software like Photoshop. Even writing papers is easier, because I can have two documents plus a web page all open at the same time without having to switch between any of them.

ElShotte ElShotte said:

Only one 24" LG FLATRON W2452T that I had for a few years now. Multiple display setups area great, and I could sure use it as well for my work, but Im using one of those cart desks. It can barely fit my 24" as is with just enough room to put my speakers on the side without them actually interfering with my view.

whiteandnerdy said:

one 20.5" Acer. would like another but i dont have the room

Mikymjr Mikymjr said:

At home i'm using an Asus 19" flatscreen on my pc. My mother's pc which i put together uses an AOC 20" flatscreen. At work i use an AOC 15"crt. Now i would like 2 x 22" flatscreens but, that's gonna wait a long time cause i'm satisfied with my current setup (4890 @ 900Mhz/4000Mhz).

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

A 24in 1080p monitor... I can't really find the use for more than one monitor at home, but then I only really browse the internet and game on my PC. The Win7 snap left/right feature and a 16:9 monitor means I can have 2 windows side by side all the time.

Cueto_99 said:

I own a single 23" LG W2353V hooked up to 3 ATi 4830's in crossfire, I think its more than enough for web browsing and playing some games in 1980x1080...

Well, a 19" LCD and a 17" CRT. I put all the monitoring tools and gadgets to show in CRT and do gaming and all in 19". And yes, it is extremely useful when using graphical applications or doing research or something !

One Viewsonic 1080P 23" and one Samsung 22" 1680*1050 on a 5850 23" is shared with two pcs the other one my gaming rig running a GTX260 core 216 SLI setup which ill switch to the 5850 once i buy another one for CrossfireX goodness!!

miguel11 said:

IMHO if you do not work in the music/graphics business and if you do not play flight/racing simulators you do not need a multiple monitor setup. It is better to have a BIG single high resolution monitor (HD) at 1080p. I have a 21.5" ASUS MS226H Ultra Slim monitor (7 pounds, 1920x1080, CR 50000:1, RT 2ms, Energy Star) in case I need to carry it to a LAN party. It is a BIG BANG FOR THE BUCK. That combine with a HD XFX 5850 BE blows all the games out there to bits. I have a 10.2" Dell laptop for light work like word processing, Internet browsing, emailing and music playing.

Cheers

I have a 23" and 17" connected to my Mac, nice to keep iTunes on the smaller screen. On my gaming PC, I have a single 27" widescreen, which I would like to get to three screens with Eyefinity, but can't afford that at the moment. Dual 19" screens at work are an absolute necessity.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Used to run dual 19" screens but my new desk doesn't have the room. So I just use the second one for another PC on the side. I do miss it though, gotta find a way to make room =P .

unrealmp3 unrealmp3 said:

At home I use a single monitor, which I mostly use for gaming. I connected my HDTV with HDMI to watch videos or play some games (racing, etc) on my couch. If I need to browse for something while I'm gaming, I just use my Archos 5 IT.

At work I use two 19" monitors, which really makes my life easier, especially when editing two documents at the same time or keeping an eye on my emails.

Ritwik7 Ritwik7, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Using my faithful old 17" CRT @ 1152x864 (1280x1024 for gaming) on the HD 4890.

Chazz said:

I have a 30inch Dell monitor. I've been wanting to run a dual monitor setup but I feel it'd look weird having a 24inch right next to a 30 incher. And on top of that I've been lazy(I already have the monitor), I'll connect it today and see how I like it.

Acespaces Acespaces said:

I only have one 23 inch Acer but now that i see this and how convenient this is I will surely give it a try when or if i get around to it.

Technochicken Technochicken, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Ritwik7 said:

Using my faithful old 17" CRT @ 1152x864 (1280x1024 for gaming) on the HD 4890.

Why do you run a lower resolution for desktop use?

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

2 Benq 20.1" monitors

At home I use one 22" 1920x1080 monitor and at work 2 x 19" 1280x1024. I like my home setup better. I do feel cramped when using my netbook when traveling.

KG363 KG363 said:

22" Acer x223w

17" sceptre

websquad websquad said:

I had a significant diving accident Memorial Day 1963, and must be careful as to how far, and for how long, I bend my neck. However, I have a combination that seems to work well: 3 LCD panels. In the center is a 22" HP Wide Screen monitor (1680x1050) and on either side are two 19" panels with "classic" aspect ratio (1280x1024). And I twist my chair 90 degrees for the 1280x1024 on my Max OS-X machine.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

technochicken said:

Ritwik7 said:

Using my faithful old 17" CRT @ 1152x864 (1280x1024 for gaming) on the HD 4890.

Why do you run a lower resolution for desktop use?

Probably so he can actually read text.

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

I use a single 27" monitor in front of me and another 24" monitor on the side. I use this setup heavily for multitasking but I still play games on a single monitor. This combination has served me well for over two years, before I used a similar arrangement of dual monitors but of a smaller size.

Recently I've been thinking about upgrading, but I wouldn't be sure where to begin. The monitors I use are not last generation, but were mid to high end when I bought them. I like that the 27 incher has a large dot pitch, so text is readable from a good distance, so maybe triple 27 displays will do the trick. Now I have to see what the budget permits. We will see .

Dual 22" Asus monitors 3360 x 1050 running on ATi Radeon HD 5850.

z0phi3l said:

Running a 28" and a 24" in my main setup

Kids use a 32" HDTV for TV and computing

EXCellR8 EXCellR8, The Conservative, said:

single 23" LCD...

ken777 said:

Running quad monitor on my desktop - 24" (1920x1200), 2 x 20" (1680x1050), and 17" (1280x1024). Wish I had some matching monitors so I could try out eyefinity.

ryan29121 said:

2 x 24" Samsungs. With a planar dual monitor mount. It looks really nice!

Johny47 said:

I have one 19" monitor(1440x900) and until I upgrade to my next video card I'm not bothered about going any higher, Running this on a GeForce 9800GT.

"I'm running a 19inch monitor, I want to move up to three since my 4870 supports it. "

How are you planning on doing that on a 4 series radeon?

I have three 21" LCDs

ColdPreacher said:

Running three 22"s. Helps me when working at home, im a developer and technologist for my local college.

dual 40 inch tvs.

maestromasada said:

2 x 17" LG Flatron L1752S. I've had those for years now. At work also got dual monitor, one you feel the experience you won't go back to single.

One.

......

tonylukac said:

I live in a condo and thus have limited room. My main custom built computer has a 17" generic monitor I paid $70 for at Tiger Direct and works great. I have an older Dell which I have a 19" generic monitor attached to. Ever since I got that one the screen goes blank for a second every once and a while. I have a crt monitor attached to a computer my brother gave me from 2000. I also have a non-netbook laptop which I think is 15". I don't usually use the Dell or crt monitor.

¼ of a hotdog ¼ of a hotdog said:

I have a 22 inch acer monitor glued to a block of pepperjack cheese for stability.