RIAA, MPAA and others outline anti-piracy plan

By on April 16, 2010, 2:25 PM
Just days after the U.S. Government published a piracy study that pointed out the questionable methods used by some entities to estimate monetary losses from copyright infringement, the RIAA, MPAA and several others are using those same statistics to get a new anti-piracy campaign approved. Details of their Joint Strategic Plan submitted to the US Intellectual Property Enforcement Coordinator have been released, and it makes for an interesting read.

The submission (PDF) starts off citing how the rampant theft of intellectual property is harming the entertainment industry as well as the United States as a whole, and calls for new solutions to make meaningful inroads into the problem. Proposed methods include everything from bandwidth shaping and throttling, to site blocking and even encouraging users to install anti-piracy software on their own machines that would detect and potentially erase infringing content.

Other non-technological solutions include an educational program for online advertisers, financial payment services providers and the general public to spread awareness of how piracy affects the industry. They also suggest customs officials inquire travelers about any infringing content they -- willingly or not -- are bringing through the border (Like ripped movies on your laptop, the music on your portable player and the book you were reading on the plane).

The document goes on to mention ways of pressuring other countries into toughening up their IP protection laws, and funding new enforcement programs (at the taxpayer's expense) for the FBI and Department of Homeland Security to pro-actively prevent the leaking of summer blockbusters ahead of their debut. Of course, this is nothing more than recommendations, but it serves to show how adamant these organizations are in protecting their business model.

JMMD JMMD, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Why don't we just agree to stop using our PCs and go back to paying $15 for a CD. That should satisfy them.

The biggest thing they are worried about is a leak of their blockbuster titles. HAHAHAHAH

You guys might be laughing but I think I'll be laughing more when the first anti-piracy curriculum classes start in America being taught to your kids.

DON'T DOWNLOAD LADY GAYGAY KIDS!

natefalk natefalk said:

"install anti-piracy software on their own machines"

Who would willingly download something that finds infringing content? What would stop said software from sending a report to the RIAA/MPAA. Then they would actually have proof of copyright infringement...

ROFL.

I knew they would sing a new song after U.S. Government published a piracy study.

What RIAA is doing, is milking companies for their own profit by billing hours and hours of nonsense at hourly rate.

The movie companies, musicians, etc, should be suing RIAA for how much money the lost with little to no gain.

Timonius Timonius said:

While I agree that the 'entertainment' industry charges too much for their stuff due to pure greed it is never fun being an unsuspecting victim of piracy fraud (ie. you thought you purchased the real deal).

everytime I hear the entrtainment industry whine about lost $$$, I go copy something.

Deathstar17 said:

The RIAA and MPAA have to be the 2 greediest entities that have ever existed!

<sigh>

Copying is NOT THEFT!. IP or otherwise.

d

l

Maybe those two videos will explain it in easy terms so those stupid big MAFIAA's can understand it...

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I always thought that the law should do whatever the RIAA wants with one provision: all the money the RIAA wins (or settles) goes directly to the artists -- not even to pay the lawyers.

impossible to enforce to much countries involved will take 100 or more years to get through all the politics needed to set up some rules gg ria and mpaa torrents win

There is a disconnect between the long-legged mack daddies that run the RIAA, MPAA and the consumer in the many shades of gray with online distribution of music and movies.

This is about censorship of the internet, those videos of the US forces masacuring civilians in Afghanistan are copyright of the US Government, so if we have a copyright police state.....get the idea... it protects the government from whistle blowers.

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

Put metal detectors and scan everyone who walks into the theater. But what about who those who screen movies on DVD or B-Ray. It's crazy but trying to stop a pirate is like trying to stop someone of gambling where there are so much access to ATM it's not funny. Computers were here way before all of this crap started. To force all to go back to the theater to watch a movie that can cost you up to 100 bucks if you decided to bring a few friends and family along plus dig deep for extra expensive bottle water pint size, soda, popcorn an etc. I didn't see them stopping those who hand sneak in KFC an etc into the theater. Now they're going after people just because they don't want to pay for music CD, movies on DVD, computer software, games, OS all sort of thing just like skies the limit. Then you got the ISP driving up prices for you to pay for 5mbps down, 15mbps, down, 25mbps down, 50mbps what are suppose to do with all that bandwidth just look at pictures of trees and look at your friends and family on facebook. Too much protection. This is America let freedom rule! I am just saying!

Create a quality product at a competitive price and piracy goes the way of the dodo! You will never stop piracy.....

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

Video Pirates

This video clip tells of a tale of Video Pirates on the open seas attacking MCA Home Video. Funny to watch.

The current presidential administration and his elected lib cronies are just about insane enough in their quest to control every aspect of life that this rotten piece of garbage could conceivably get passed into law. Remember the pitch? "Change" ...well, now we got it. Glad? They were dumb enough to pass ObamaCare, so don't think for a minute they won't be dumb enough to pass this one, too.

Agree. You can't fix stupid. If they were to pass this pile of doodoo, I wonder how many bazillion dollars in new taxes they would need to extract from our wallets to support their anti-piracy program. Our current administration is a complete joke.

What are you last two posters talking about? Your comments have nothing to do with this article and make no sense.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

You people bring all this crap down on yourselves. I will only buy what music I deem necessary, I watch >>free broadcast TV, refuse to pay for cable or a smart phone, and have no need whatsoever for an iPad, a Kindle reader, or to be able to watch "Avatar" on an iPhone. The more s*** you think you can't live without, is more s*** that will be loaded up with DRM. Read a book, starve a lawyer. Rent a movie from RedBox, starve a lawyer. Watch "CSI; Miami, starve a lawyer, and if you don't buy anything from the commercials, you can starve the advertisers right along with their lawyers.

Man... I had no idea the problem was this bad.

I had to go download a pirated copy of Photoshop off usenet because I was so upset.

Thank god that the free copy doesn't make me jump through hoops agreeing to terms I don't agree with and entering multiple serial numbers or installing dongles with USB sticks I have to pay $40 extra for or a dozen other things cause I could actually get straight to the program without any hassles. I figure there's probably going to be some bugs in it cause you take that risk with pirated software but then again... every time I buy software these days, it's so full of bugs and requires so many updates that it's not that much different from buying it anyways.

I guess the good thing is... instead of wasting $1000 on a program I use maybe once every year, I can just throw this free thing on my computer and it's there if I need it without totally bankrupting me with a ton of bloated features nobody ever uses.

So... all the best of luck with that 'anti-piracy' thing you guys. :)

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

captaincranky said:

CaptainCranky..you sir are a genius

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

hey @ one of the 'Guest's ... the dodo is copyrighted to Mauritius & i have legal right to use it, LOL .. unless you too from the island!

we have fair usage policy applied with the ISP, you download a lot ,, you get your speed downgrade, yet it doesn't apply when you do legal stuffs i guess, i use a lot of bandwidth from my slow connection, mostly for game trailers streaming/downloading, PSN downloads, online gaming & audio stream.

piracy is bad, in any form but yet not that alarming. it's causing more harm to smaller developers (indy) & not so famous artists. blockbusters make money & big software companies too, for those paying legit stuff (like me) must be paying for 2 - 3 users with the price practiced.

yes, a quality product at a good price would diminish piracy, to meet CaptainCranky statement, 1st i agree with you too. we do look for big things while we don't use all features, we do have some great alternatives. we have a lot of free stuffs! @ last 'Guest' why don't you try artweaver or GIMP, or so many other alternatives.

for every software package i've found cheaper or free solutions, whether it be portable or installable versions, so why can't most of us.

i listen to same music on PC from legal stream sites, OK i pay for SAT TV, but who doesn't these days, so i stick to all series & Movies in HD or not while buying a few blu-rays cheap online, i don't have time to go though 100s of movies, don't see the point of downloading anymore (huhumm....)

I buy games off steamy sites ... they are cheap!, i rarely play games off my PC these days, but will soon! I play on PS3 (have around 30 games) ... have time for only 1 or 2 ... others taking dust ...

so yes, piracy is like a 'gimmick' allowing us to have more content, that probably we can purchase at a real good price at the time we need them or get free alternatives.

France adopted HADOPI LAW, UK the digital financial whatever law, in my small country the MASA did close down a lot of DVD shops selling only copies, they succeeded in making people buy original local artists (we are proud of it now) ... but there's still a lot to do to eradicate piracy! this depend on us consumers, who knows maybe then the developers would dare go that extra mile & deliver what we want!

sorry for long post (again!)

cheers!

PanicX PanicX, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

You've got to be out of your mind to give anyone free will to delete your data.

This is exactly the type of control that must be avoided at any cost.

Deathstar17

on April 16, 2010

3:49 PM The RIAA and MPAA have to be the 2 greediest entities that have ever existed!

Along with Wal-Mart.......

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

There was a day I where I never purchased expensive software. A day where I hardly ever watched any movies. A day when I didnt have over 200GBs of music. Well, I have a lot of this stuff today, and will go back to being that way if I cannot pirate any of this. Some of you may think its sad they these producers arent getting their money, but if piracy because too difficult again, then they arent going to get my money anyways, because I wont care enough to purchase it. I will however be paying Pandora Radio for their music. Gotta have some new music.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

For the sake of argument, (which is why I do most things), let's assume that the music is all MP3. So then the question becomes, how long would to take to listen to all of this? How much of it do you listen to anyway? How much of it do you actually enjoy?

Frankly, I don't GAF, but I have questions of my own. For example; "why do you have the need to tell us how much material you have stolen? Is it a case of you believing admission absolves guilt? Do you think we care? Are you trying to bring heat down on this website? Are you bragging or complaining? Or perhaps doing both simultaneously.

But my paramount question is this; "why can't you and your ilk just pirate what you're going to pirate and shut your yaps?" I mean really, DILLIGAF?

thatguyandrew92 said:

Well here's how I think about piracy and how it's not REALLY a problem. Movies: Let's be honest, a shitty cam copy or a DVD rip just aint nearly as cool as theatres. Time and time again it's proven that even with piracy ticket sales aren't affected (Avatar is a good example). Software: Businesses won't pirate software like individual people since a lot of people can't afford it. So they aren't really losing sales from people since it would never be bought. Games: Since most games have online modes which are the best part, people must buy the games (MW2 is a good example). Music: Well there isn't a good example about how piracy doesn't really affect so maybe it does, but to be honest, there is so much music I don't care if the labels shut down. We will still get songs from bands who just want to make music for the fun of it and from movie studios how make new music.

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

I pay HDTV digital cable, don't watch it all but I have everything they offer or that on-demand I get in my package deal. If I miss a show I can get if off the internet quickly. If stations would repeat like they did in the 70s and 80s then I won't have this problem. I use 3x DVR in 3x HDTV Motorola STB and HTPC running SAGETV recording on 2x CATV tuners. That recording all Star Trek, CBS News, The Price is Right, Smallville, SGU, Doctor Who, House Hunters, House Hunters International, Cheaters, V, Supernatural, an etc. SageTV is smart enough to remember my favorties and report whenever they come on. Okay go that and DVRs. How much to I watch not 100%, but good to have media on hand. Movies I buy movies off Amazon or Target. Blue-Ray if I find something that is good. Don't want to waste money on crappy movies.

That's results with something like monopolizing all kind of crap movies or audio ...but they ask themselves ...crackers or hackers was and will be much more stronger like now

Conclusions: Never HUGE Monsters alike Microsoft or other companies can stop hacking software or downloading everything what people consider for themselves is needed for them;

RESULTS : THEY TRY TO CUT LITTLE MORE FROM FREEDOM OF THEM COSTUMERS TO CHOSE WHAT THEY WANT ....EXAMPLE >>>

EU accuses Microsoft and abuse of dominant position

by GF HotNews.ro

Friday, January 16, 2009, 22:07 Economy | Companies

The European Commission said on Friday it filed a new complaint against Microsoft is accused of abuse of dominant market power PCs. Complaint targets related to the Microsoft Internet Explorer, informs AFP.

Trying to connect Microsoft Internet Explorer for Windows operating system affects competition between web browsers, mineaza innovation and ultimately reduces consumer choice, says EC, quoted by AFP.

No is the first incident of the giant Microsoft and the EU. Early last year, the European Commission fined Microsoft a record amount of EUR 899 million (1.35 billion dollars) on the grounds that not taking into consideration the sanctions imposed after violating antitrust laws, announced when EC representatives.

A total of Over time, the EU executive fined Microsoft 1.68 billion euros for violations of laws and not taking into account the sanctions in a way that no other company has done it

after the Commission fined Microsoft with 497 million euros in 2004, has followed another fine of 280.5 million in July 2006 as the software giant failed to comply European bodies until the deadline of June 21 of that year.

Commission established in 2004 by a court decision affirmed last year, Microsoft refused to disclose interoperability information to competitors called connected applications, especially servers.

The dispute began in 1998 when Sun Microsystems filed a complaint with the European Commission, accusing Microsoft for not them access to technical interfaces for Windows operating system, Sun was unable to develop such products compatible with Windows.

AND THIS IS NOT ONLY ONE ARE MANY ALIKE THEM

there is only the need to get organized worldwide

make some sort of international anti-RIAA MPAA day...

organize some "dont buy dont see" worldwide

we are who pays their salary, they work for us, I say fired them...

let there be a new industry that serves humanity and not themselfs

Yeah I can tell you right now that **** aint goin to stop anyone from pirating. Like many others have already stated, PIRACY WILL NEVER END. And how the **** is this actually hurting the movie, music industries, are you serious with this bullshit? These people are so damn rich its gross. On top of all that, PIRACY is such a gray field, how can you enforce ANYTHING when you've already put so much out there? HMMMmm? I mean think about it for just one second. This country advertises just about anything, anywhere, not to mention the products THAT WERE SOLD TO US, and BOUGHT by us. Tivo a good example, you pay for your cable TV, and TiVo, and your basically being a legal pirate. NO ONE actually gives a **** about the moral aspect behind all of this, the only thing the government and companies alike care about is getting that little extra money for LEGALLY having things you didn't pay the creator of the product for. And what about Radio? Or maybe the endless websites that host FREE music and videos for everyone to listen and watch (And no I'm not talking about Torrent sites either)? Who's to say I cant just put that ALREADY FREE and available stuff on something I can take anywhere with me, and listen or watch on my own terms? Besides, I pay for my internet, so technically, Its NO different from TiVo, or recording something off the radio, or perhaps recording something off of cable TV from VHS, if that still exists...

And on top of all that, just think, the more people that have music or movies, the more that artists stuff gets around. Its kind of like a mobile advertisement of any and all entertainment. Someone that's never heard of a certain band before may hear it from someone else, and then go out and buy it. So if anything, people SHOULD BE THANKFUL of pirates, we spread and open peoples eyes to the worlds creation, with our vast treasures. That's about it I guess...Oh and stock up as much **** as you can before OBAMA destroys everything that we have come to as a free country, I feel that pirated goods will soon be the only thing left...**** the Government!

DocHoliday69 said:

Those of you who think piracy is ok, good. ect. You would be the biggest whiners if someone stole your property. How in anyone's mind can you make a case for taking something that's not yours. I hope your not a neighbor of mine, oh that's why I lock my doors. Why not live by your motto, leave your house wide open for anyone to come by, so they can steal anything they feel entitled to out of your home?

That's what your doing.

Bottom line, it's NOT YOURS but if it makes you more a man or feel better I guess it's ok then.WTF

Greed is what companies are in business for and why shouldn't they make money on their work!

Plus greed is why you steal it in the first place, you don't want to spend your hard earned money that you worked for. Although it's ok to steal theirs. I just don't get it?

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

Don't compare being robbed and download stuff. Not the same concept. Downloading stuff has always been around since the days of the BBS under dial-up. Those who are new players just login download and leech away. Then you have ones who can have key codes to unlock the software. Not much you can do it's been like this for many years. The system of how to unlock goodies never going to change. Right down I can go to my local Walgreens and rent a current movie for $1 using that new automatic red box does wonders. But still how many are using that box?

¼ of a hotdog ¼ of a hotdog said:

I'm sick of these fools, they enrage me so much every time I hear them I lose my mind!!! I mean what is your problem, will you just stop already! You are ruining it for the rest of us, just stop damn it!!! Are you people intentionally doing this to anger me and anyone like me? If you want to call yourself a pirate, get a peg leg, a hook hand, an eye patch, and a fake parrot! Until you do I am going to call you an....

interwebmobile copy download upload jerk person that is in no way a pirate!!!
Me an' me crew be goin' t' plunder 32 civillian ships fer ever' one o' ye that calls they's self a "pirate" cause ye be downloadin' things illegally over the internet YYAARRRGGG!!!

I don't believe the problem is as bad as they are making out.

The people who download films are probably the kind of people who would not go to the cinema to see it anyway, there's just no comparison to a crappy cam and sitting in the cinema, so no loss in income there.

The people who have gigs upon gigs of mp3 would realisticly never buy that much music and listen to it all in a life time, so maybe a small loss.

and most of the software companies are just too greedy sometimes, no sympathy.

I go for more freeware now but still buy software when the price is realistic and good value.

No one likes being ripped off and the customer has been getting ripped of for too long.

No one ever mentioned one thing here : official study says that people who download pirated stuff buy more legal stuff... O.o Its just a free way of trying movies/music ;)

@Richy2k9

What's the following:

1. Your ISP and its Fair usage policy

2. MASA

Last of all, I did work on the GIMP project a couple of years back and guess what, I left because it was slowly becoming an abominable load of rubbish... sort of! Depends on what you want to craft with it...it's always up to the user. They decide, you code.

Thanks

Well this is the biggest joke the government could put on us! I have not bought a single movie, song or other software application in over 5 years now and they can never expect me to in my life time since its all a rip off and no need to purchase garbage from retailers. The ease of access from downloading has taken over and its too late so let it be. The steep prices we pay for internet should cover the costs of what is being downloaded. There will never be a way to stop something like this as the internet is so diverse there will always be a way around this forever.

Richy2k9 said:

hello @ .. huh a 'Guest' LOL ...

I'm from a small island - Mauritius, our ISP, the local telecom has a policy, if you have a 512k ADSL, you still have a 4Mbps synchronization & a 2Mega speed to international but if you have a high bandwidth usage, for a few months it drops back to 512K & with packet shaping - you have less bandwidth for some protocols.

MASA is our local BSA but protects the Intellectual Property of almost everything. In the beginning was only for music, now it does everything, in fact it protects authors!

GIMP is good, except for recent updates, that's why i see it good to have a lot of free apps (i use Artweaver / Inkscape / gimp / etc .. & all portable versions too!)

those who don't want to compare a crime to another (theft against piracy here) .. well in the end it's still a crime, maybe it doesn't really hurt every victim, but weaker / smaller ones dies of this. do a research for indy games developers, small music bands & low cost amateur movies ...& tell me you don't feel guilty for the fate of these people,

you may not see it until you become the victim, do an art piece & let others copy it & sell it cheaper than yours, write a book & see it tomorrow on the net for free, sing your first song & instead of earning out of it to let you go create more, you see a lot of people listening freely to it someway.

if you still think you can get away with it, some day we'll all pay for our bad deeds...

cheers!

You can protect yourself. Check out FreeNet (or Tor). FreeNet (freenetproject.org) is the ultimate in security, but Tor (www.torproject.org) is much easier to setup.

If you want to encrypt your drive in case the pigs come knocking on your door, there's Truecrypt (www.truecrypt.org).

Myzz617 Myzz617 said:

Or how about pressuring the ISP's to stop RAPING their customers and they might have more money to BUY a movie they like. Paying 200$ a month for comcast makes you want to download music and movies and sell them. Cable television and internet should not be as pricey why pay for something you can get for free if you pay for the service? companies need to look at it more in the consumer side of things rather than the money they are missing out on. Half the movies ppl DL they would not waste the money on it. If I like a movie enough i buy it on bluray.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

What about if you wanted to see it within 28 days of release on dvd?

cheers!

There are a lot of music artists (see Ronald Jenkees for example) that get noticed by placing their stuff on YouTube (or in the past MySpace) for free. Then they either sell their stuff as physical copies without the use of a label or they get picked up by a major label. People generally have no problems paying for something if its good and most of the profits go to the artist.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

What about if you wanted to see it within 28 days of release on dvd?
Well, I went out and bought "Avatar" yesterday.

That said, I priced a download of the same title @ $14.95, the DVD was available for $15.95, and the DVD / Blu-Ray combo was available @ $19.95. Maybe it's fuzzy thinking, but how big of a useless, lazy, a**h*** do you need to be to purchase a download version?

Collaterally, I'm not really interested in the continuing song and dance in these threads about, "how greedy studios are", I thought the product was well worth 20 bucks, so I bought it.

I didn't even, "download it first to see if I liked it". That's my favorite BS story ever.

As a more direct answer to your question. I suppose that I can wait for most movies for 30 days. Point being that self control trumps copy protection, and RIAA lawyers. As for the little sociopaths that inhabit threads like this, who feel that they're entitled to the composite intellectual property of all media for free and at their beckon call, I suppose it's pointless to point out that patience is considered a virtue.

Isn't this basically what's known as a trailer....?

cheers!

I hate to bring this up, (not really), but this sounds like a religious response to a secular issue. For this statement to be true, God or Karma would have to be provable, not simply preached.