Steam, Direct2Drive offer massive game discounts

By on April 23, 2010, 6:51 PM
Steam has slashed a mighty 50% off Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Game of the Year Edition, the blockbuster shooter that gave rise to Infinity Ward's immensely popular Modern Warfare 2. If you're new to the series, now's a cheap opportunity to see what all the fuss is about.

The minimum system requirements include a 2.4GHz Pentium 4 or AMD 64 2800+, 512MB of RAM on XP or 768MB on Vista, a GeForce 6600 or Radeon 9800Pro or better, and 8GB of free storage space. In other words, the game is mellow enough that any remotely modern mid-range PC should be fine.

Trine, a puzzle platformer by Finnish developer Frozenbyte, is also steeply discounted on Steam at the moment. The title is $5 (75% off) and has recently been updated with a new level. We'd be remiss not to mention Direct2Drive's spring sale, which has loads of greatly reduced titles.

Grand Theft Auto IV and Supreme Commander Gold are $7.50 each (75% off), Manhunt 2 is $4.95, the Guild Wars Trilogy is $19.95, the Total War Collection is $44.95, and more. Get 'em while they're hot.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Steam is absolutely killing me with these sales. I think I have 20+ games I've already purchased from them but haven't downloaded and played due to their big discount sales, while trying to keep up with other games I'm playing they offered previously at a discount. I'll admit it - I'm a gaming junkie.

Dammit...give us some breathing room, wouldja Steam!

princeton princeton said:

Man now MW2 needs to go down to a proper price cough...$9...cough and then I can stop being bored all day.

tengeta tengeta said:

Left 4 Dead 2 is down to $20 bucks again, I had some money to spare and finally jumped at it.

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

OMG!

will i ruin myself again with such discounts!

so great...

OK see ya later .. must find more money now!

cheers!

Renrew Renrew said:

TomSEA------Dittto

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Map pack for MW2 is on steam for presale at 10% off. Apparently its 15 dollars - I know its £12 in the UK without the discount. Personally I bought Bad Company 2 recently and its replaced MW2 as my favorite shooter by quite a way so I wont be picking the overpriced expansion pack.. well, map pack. its not an expansion. No new weapons and 3 new maps, 2 old ones from MW1.

Tempted by trine..

You see Ubisoft?!! THIS is what you should be doing. So GTFO with your tirant DRM.

I mean, with games at these prices, there's really no need to pirate. OK, maybe just a lil'....

I wouldn't buy another steam game, I have cod mw2 and the game is full of hackers. I doubt I would buy the next cod if it is run under steam.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

"Yes" full of hackers, or are you just crap? i've had players call me a hacker on TF2 yet i promise you i don't even know where to start on this "hacking" business.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

TomSEA, I hear you. Just bought Deus Ex: Invisible War on Steam recently, and I have tons of games at Steam and Big Fish Games, and some on other services (GOG, Impulse, GamersGate, D2D). I'm a helpless addict of game deals.

Didou Didou, Bowtie extraordinair!, said:

Except that Steam handles the distribution of the game & nothing much else. Everything concerning online play is handle by Infinity Ward (which explains the loss of dedicated servers) so you might want to take that issue up with them, not Steam or Valve.

isamuelson isamuelson said:

Curse you Steam! I had to spend more money because of this sale! My hard drive is filling up! I have no more room for more games. Maybe that will be a blessing in disguise?

isamuelson isamuelson said:

Uh, it's not Steam's fault this is happening. Why don't you read up on it a little more and get educated properly? The problem is that the publisher didn't code the game to use dedicated servers. Again, that is NOT Steam's fault, so stop being a douche and blaming Steam on the problem.

You can get Battlefield: Bad Company 2 via Steam and it has dedicated servers. But, since you seem to assume it's Steam's fault, I guess you didn't know that. Everyone else did.

Nice try to blame Steam on this one. Another Steam hater.

Steam and D2D are not the only ones with sales and discounts. Look at Gamersgate, Impulse and a lot of the the new digital distribution platforms. If you can resist the urge to buy any sale:) you can get quite good sales and safe a lot of money. It's getting a bit difficult to stay on top of all this deals and discounts. I found www.deals4downloads.com quite helpful with that. They have most of the current deals nicely presented.