Nvidia denies Fermi yield issues, downplays power draw

By on April 28, 2010, 9:44 AM
Recently there have been some rumors about Nvidia's Fermi GPU yields being in the 20-30 percent range. Looking at the minimal stock of GeForce GTX 480 graphics cards at most retailers it would seem that is indeed the case. However, in an interview with Digitimes, Nvidia's General Manager of MCP Business Henry Drew said that the outfit had everything under control and that TSMC's 40nm yields have "met [their] expectations."

Drew was responding to a question about Nvidia supposedly blocking some graphics cores on current cards due to manufacturing issues. While he couldn't comment on unannounced products, he did mention that a 512 core-equipped chip might emerge in the future. The executive also made a point of mentioning how the GF100-based cards offered improved power consumption over performance compared with the GTX 200 series, even though the actual power draw was a bit higher. According to him, those focused on performance will find it is a worthwhile trade.

Lastly, he assured customers that despite DRAM and other component prices rising, Nvidia currently has no plans to increase prices higher than they already are. Unfortunately, the interview doesn't say anything on how soon consumers can expect availability of the actual GeForce GTX 480 cards to improve.

Despite the fact that the 480 outperforms the 5870 by a small margin, when looking at the big picture I'd say Ati won this round. Saphire just announced a killler Toxic edition 5970 that should easily surpass the 480 in performance although it will probably cost more too. Oh well. :P

KG363 KG363 said:

did "hi" really mention that? lol

princeton princeton said:

Obviously a tricked out 5970 beats the 480. Any 5970 does. Its a DUAL GPU card.

I know it's a dual gpu card and that a vanilla one beats the 480 so you don't have to "yell" DUAL GPU like you're putting me up on game or something. lol

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I guess Nvidia is doing their bit in causing global warming.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

causing global warming....hahahahahahahahahaha

I believe with original comedic talent like that you could well become the new Andrew "Dice" Clay. I believe Dane Cook is looking for new material...give him a call.

hellokitty[hk] hellokitty[hk], I'm a TechSpot Evangelist, said:

causing global warming....hahahahahahahahahaha

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

If you spend all the time running Furmark on loop then I'd agree.

Having said that I've just had a hands-on with the card on a friends upgrade. GTX480 (Palit) residing in a stock Stacker 830. Default fanspeed 44%, Gaming fanspeed 55% and temps 82-85C (STALKER:CoP) -ambient temp 25-27C, Chassis has front-to-back cooling -no side fans as the CPU tower cooler has little clearance.

Sound at 55% is quieter (and a much less annoying pitch) than my HD4890.

This is the third system I've seen (in the flesh) with the GTX480, albeit the first I've been able to play with, and except for the cost aspect have been impressed with how they perform.

I think you'll find that most forum posts by people who actually have the cards show that they are generally in accordance- they generally just can't be bothered with tech sites since the ATI trolling brigade seem hellbent on flooding the forums with their "message".

BTW: I'm in New Zealand...basically the last landfall before reaching Antarctica (and a very small market for enthusiast grade tech) and while I wouldn't say that the GTX480 is abundant by any means they are still available both on etail and bricks-and-mortar shop shelves.

for example 4 cards available here (at the time of posting)

[link]

walliot walliot said:

"lol, sadly they could easily pass off for a serious threat to the environment with the general public."

So true. This is why I'm leaning towards Ati and AMD now. No, I'm not a fan boy - I'm a value buyer and I care for the environment. The Red side really got me on their side, they encourage power saving and I like that. The power consumption on the Radeon 5 Series is amazing. The newer 6 core Phenom IIs are even better! (although the performance may not be)

Think it's time we call AMD the green side...

the gtx 470 and 480 beat any ati 5*** you send at it

you can check it out on http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Samurai_Dallaire