Eight devoted Halo 2 gamers still playing online

By on April 30, 2010, 7:26 PM
It's been two weeks since Microsoft officially "shut down" the original Xbox Live servers, but that's not stopping a small group of dedicated Halo 2 gamers. Eight people are still connected and periodically playing the six-year-old and now discontinued title.

One of the players, Joe Campbell, said even though Microsoft has flipped the switch, he and the others can keep playing because they haven't turn off their consoles and have maintained a constant connection to Xbox Live since April 15. The band of 8 started out much larger, but numbers dwindled as consoles overheated and connections failed.

Although Campbell said that he and his fellow gamers are "not [playing] for competition, not for a prize, but for the love and memory of Halo 2," GamesRadar has graced the devoted bunch with access codes for the Halo: Reach beta. Microsoft's Stephen Toulouse even supported them in a tweet today: "To those noble folk keeping halo2 alive: we see you, and we salute you."

There's no telling how long the enduring individuals will remain online, but until the last one drops we figure it's worth showing our encouragement. Keep on keeping on, guys.

Reloader2 said:

Respect to them.

matrix86 matrix86 said:

Dear Webster,

please put this article beneath your definition of "Dedicated". Thank you.

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

meh halo 2 is old news find a better game to play.

BlindObject said:

This is some deep stuff yo.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Respect indeed... although it must get boring playing with the same other 7 players lol.

Armanian said:

Keep Going For Those Of Us Who Can't ='

KG363 KG363 said:

The halo franchise has gone downhill since Halo 2

Keep at it!

If only My xbox wasn't in another city

Morbid, obsessive and ridiculous are words that come to mind.

MrAnderson said:

Wow what a geeky yet powerful story. Isn't there someway for a thirdparty to take over the service? There Xboxes might be toast when this is all over. It would be cool if MS gives them some fashion of reward. Like a special Xbox trophy like "Die Hard" and amend it to their accounts.

Mikymjr Mikymjr said:

Wow keep it up guys as long as you can! I have played Halo with friends and my little brother. Altough i couldn't or didn't have the chance to play Halo 2 with him because he just recently died in a traffic accident. I loved my little brother. This just brings up memories to me

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Repect to these guys as I "for some unknown reason" kind of want to join them? Say I was load up halo 2, I wonder if I could join there game?

I loved that game, online and offline and I swear I had worn my first disc out on the original xbox, then got another copy for when I got my new 360 and haven't really played it since. It's a shame I can't join them just for one last go

GonchuB GonchuB said:

talk about gaming

matrix86 matrix86 said:

Morbid, obsessive and ridiculous are words that come to mind.

Morbid? How is this morbid? These guys are smart, not unhealthy physiologically and obviously not gloomy.

Obsessive? Just because they don't turn their system off? I know people who don't turn their computers off.

Ridiculous? Please explain. I'm sure their smart enough to be taking precautions (putting a fan next to it to help keep it cool)

You make it seem like these guys have no lives. I'm sure they get up and go to work every day just like the rest of us. The difference? Unlike the rest of us, they don't turn their system off. There is nothing morbid, obsessive or ridiculous about this. Now if they sat there in front of the TV all day then obsessive and ridiculous would come into play, but they do not fit here in this situation.

hell when yea find something your good at! you like it and you love the people on it! screw it!! its your own realm :) more power to yea guys! good stuff :)

i got respect for these guys, they got dedication, and truly an awesome deed

tengeta tengeta said:

Hey, keep it going, and kudos to Microsoft for not kicking them off to get it over with on their end.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

matrix86, "obsessive" definitely fits. It's not because they're keeping their consoles on, it's because they're keeping them on and logged into a specific game, and one for which support has officially stopped. They're certainly not playing anything else on that console, and they probably got to being part of this by being really into Halo 2 gaming.

If it was a PC game they could keep playing forever on dedicated servers.

Halo 2 was the best game ever. I loved it. That's the game that started it all.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

Down to five players.

Our inner cities resemble jungles.

Its like the third world in our own country.

Halo 3 will be titled "The Cleansing".

Cinematic to follow.....