StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty coming July 27

By on May 3, 2010, 7:49 PM
Blizzard has finally stamped an official ship date on StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, the long-awaited sequel to 1998's hit, StarCraft. The company said StarCraft II will launch simultaneously in the US, Canada, Europe, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand, Russia, Mexico, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, the Philippines, and more on July 27, 2010 -- or 85 days away, if you're counting. The digital version should be available shortly after the retail debut.

Although it's arguably the most anticipated RTS of all time, StarCraft II has been the subject of many disappointing news posts here. Both the full game and the beta experienced delays, and Blizzard didn't win many gamers over with its decision to exclude LAN functionality or to sell the Terran, Protoss and Zerg campaigns separately.

Despite all of that, we're thrilled SCII will see the light of day, and we know many of you are just as psyched. We'd love to hear your thoughts on the franchise's direction, the revamped Battle.net, or simply whether you'll be parting with any hard-earned cash for the latest installment.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Ill be picking up a copy on release and calling in sick, well maybe not. But I will be getting it when it comes out finally.

Staff
Steve Steve said:

Yeah don't expect any new hardware reviews for a few months after release

Hell I am having trouble pulling myself away from the beta!

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

Is it really that good? I played the original game but didn't get hooked as I did with Diablo... otherwise I'm usually more of a FPS and Sports gamer.

Staff
Steve Steve said:

Well I am a huge RTS fan so that's why I love it. The Command & Conquer series got me interested in computers. The game is nothing amazing to look at but it plays very very well. Since EA killed the CnC series there have been very few quality RTS games so it is exciting to finally have something like SC2.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

I spent a ton of time playing the original game in the early 2000s, but I've always been pretty lousy at it. Playing the first game online is a nightmare for someone like myself because there are so many skilled players that eat, sleep and breath SC (not to mention the cheaters). I'm interested in seeing how (if?) the new Battle.net solves that issue.

I'm mostly looking forward to the offline campaigns, but I might just wait until I can get all three as a box set.

magaman598 magaman598 said:

Finally, July 27th, I've had this thing Pre-Ordered for about a year now, I'm having some problems pulling myself from the Beta, I wonder how the Matrix Maps are going to be. Also, the picture is misleading, you can only have 1 of teh Mothershipz. =]

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

So all of South Korea is going to be closed that day?

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

Haha, I preordered Startcraft 2 14 Oct -07

Enough said really :P

Staff
Steve Steve said:

Per Hansson said:

Haha, I preordered Startcraft 2 14 Oct -07

Enough said really :P

Did you get your beta key :P haha

PanicX PanicX, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

I've had mine on preorder for ages. But having the beta really keeps the hunger pains at bay. It just hurts to know all the time spent on the ladder rank and achievements will get wiped in a couple months.

treeski treeski said:

Exciting news, but I'm definitely put off by the $60 price tag. Will the Zerg and Protoss campaigns cost just as much? There's no way I'd put out $180 for one game.

I personally doubt that Blizzard (I don't say Activision Blizzard, we all know which part of the company actually matters) would after all of these years be trying to just spread what should be one game into three for no reason. My feeling is that either there will be 3 long campagins or that the two later installments will come at a lower price.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I plan to get it. Starcraft is the game that got me hooked on RTS, and I have long awaited #2. And hopefully with SCII done, Blizzard can put more effort into Diablo 3 .

Docnoq said:

Matthew said:

Haha, I'm in the same boat as you. I played the hell out of the original and out of WC3, but 99% of my time playing those games was spent with custom maps. I'm not the best at microing, and it frustrates because I feel like I hit a wall skill-wise. So I spent my time playing the custom maps like Golems, Dota, etc.

That picture is out of date... you can only have one mothership!

Zilliak said:

almost 14 years later the release of starcraft 2 is here. wait nvm blizzard is postponing it due to extended content expansions now we will have to buy 3 disks to complete one campaign.

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

When you think about it, StarCraft II has taken as long to come out as Duke Nukem Forever. The difference is that StarCraft II actually IS coming out!

Zahu said:

Pre-ordered my copy. Sorry boss, you wont see me for a while. :-)