Weekend Open Forum: How fast is your home connection?

By on May 16, 2010, 10:13 PM
There were roughly 1.73 billion Internet users worldwide last year, and that figure is undoubtedly trending upward. In a perfect world everyone would have access to the same bandwidth. Unfortunately, that's not the case, and some folks simply have it better than others.

Based on Akamai's Q4 2009 data, the US placed 22nd globally with an average connection speed of 3.79Mb/s and a meager 57% broadband adoption. The FCC's estimates suggest similarly, indicating about a third of American households don't have broadband access at home.

Akamai claims South Korea has the fastest connection, averaging about 11.7Mb/s. Hong Kong follows at 8.6Mb/s, Japan at 7.6Mb/s, Romania at 7.2Mb/s, Latvia at 6.2Mb/s, while Sweden, the Netherlands, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Switzerland and others are above 5Mb/s on average.

It's not just speeds that vary mind you, prices fluctuate greatly depending on the region. For instance, at my Pennsylvania apartment I'm paying around $55 a month for an unbundled 25Mb/5Mb, while our Ecuadorian staff is stuck paying $130 month for a measly 3Mb/512Kb.

How lucky or unlucky for that matter do you have it? Discuss.

** The picture above is derived from OECD and ITIF broadband rankings. We cited Akamai's Q4 2009 State of the Internet report in the post.

I have Charter cable internet. I pay around $55 a month for 25 Mb/s down, and 3 Mb/s up. My actual download speeds are around 35 Mb/s.

Squuiid said:

$60/month for 30Mbit down and 5Mbit up on Cablevision's Optimum Online Boost.

Works well.

insect said:

Verizon Fios: 35 mbps down/35 mbps up, $50/month

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

comcast,50/10

princeton princeton said:

Nobody can top me. 20 bucks a month for 512kbps download and 128kbps upload. OH YAH!

Cox Cable: 15 Mbps down, $46 a month

eafshar said:

rogers; 10mbps down. 800kbps up; 40$ CAD

10 years ago we were paying $30/month to potentially get up to 56K on dial up and that didn't include the cost of the phone service. I used to sit and reconnect until I got an open 56K line as I usually connected at 28.8.

Paying $35 for 6mbps DSL.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

otherwise known as the United states postal service

Silence said:

200Mb/s down 100Mb/s Up 36$ a month

princeton princeton said:

@Silence YOU LIE!!!!!!! I want your internet. But where do you live?

Silence said:

Lithuania

Look at this page lied a bit sorry 200Mb/s down 80Mb/s up

[link]

15 bucks a month for crappy att dsl 768 down/384 up actual speeds less, but my college has t3 so yea :)

matrix86 matrix86 said:

AT&T DSL Direct High Speed- $40/ month (no contract which is what I like) - 3Mb/s down (with real speed average of about 2.5) and 512kb/s up (with real speed average of between 400-450).

But once I hopefully find a job, i'll upgrade to the $45 plan (if available in my area) which is 6Mb/s down and 768Kb/s up.

I had considered Camcast's 20Mb/s down speed for $42.95/month, but my wife and daughter and I currently live with my wife's parents who don't want holes drilled in the walls and cables running through the house (ah, old people...gotta love 'em, lol).

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

$50/month with Comcast. I have an extremely unreliable 6mb/s down (up to 16mb/s down with "turbo boost" and 3 mb/s up. It's unreliable because Comcast... well, it's Comcast. Need I say more?

bugejakurt said:

GO (tier 2) connected to Seabone (tier 1) for an 8 Mbps down (actual down 5Mbps) and 512 Kbps up.

Our internet bandwidth in Malta is very slow and inefficient, as Malta is so densely populated and we are still using copper medium instead of fibre.

bugejakurt said:

By the way I pay 11.59? monthly for the above connection

Suriname ( in South America) i pay $50 for just 128kb

Yeah, I live in Lithuania too (EU). You can get FTTH almost in every town/city. From 2010 ISPs started to provide internet plans with up to 200Mb/s speed (costs ~36$). And 100Mb/s plans starts from 14$. We love piracy here in Lithuania, so Internet Service Providers helps us to make it better. :-)

Punkid said:

i pay 23.83735 USD for a 2 Mbps Download and 512 Kbps upload in Pakistan

Yad Yad said:

Nearly 27$ for a 2 Mb download and 512kb upload.

OH well can't say i am satisfied :|

I have 32Mb down 2Mb up from kabel deutschland about 35euros a month. with 2 phone lines on it.

Captain828 Captain828 said:

Romanian here: 24mbps with 4mbps up for $18 (VAT included) .

Voice from Poland: 16Mb/s down, 1Mb/s up. 20$ monthly. Living in small city (~75k).

BMfan BMfan said:

Here in RSA it works out to about $21 for 384k up/128k down.

Forgot to add another $18 for phone line.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

$50 bucks a month with Comcast. I just tried a speed test using Ubisoft as a test base of which I have a number of games with their current DRM which requires constant connection. They're based out of Romania, but headquartered in Montreal, Canada, so no clue where their servers are located. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, I tested with Montreal.

12.79MB upload/4.86 download from Seattle. Which is pretty awful compared to other postings.

exozito said:

I pay about 30 USD a month for 6Mbps Down 512Kbps Up, and it comes with two years of pay-tv access.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

In the UK I pay £7 a month for about 8Mbps down and 1.3Mbps up. Although I did get it when it was a half price offer.

spikester48661 spikester48661 said:

I get 1278k at download and 312k at upload all for $20 a month.

spikester48661 spikester48661 said:

P.S. and my speed all sucks too for the $$$.

windmill007 said:

Verizon DSL which I suppose a lot of people have 3MB down and 786K UP for $about $30 a month. They are suppose to have a &MB down speed but it has yet to show up anywhere near me for the last few years I've heard about it. No cable or anything available where I live. Live out in the country. Only hope for faster speed would be some type of wireless system...come on something....save me!!!

windmill007 said:

that was suppose to read....they are suppose to have 7MB down....

UK, I pay £15 for 16mb down 1 mb up and I get 1mb down and 0.000001kb up, UK internet sucks.

Serag said:

Egypt, I pay 28$/month for a 1 Mbps / 256 Kbps connection :/

taimuraly taimuraly said:

I live in Dubai and pay 51.45 US Dollars (189 AED) for my 512Kb/s connection. Only two Companies Here (Allowed) Monopoly Sucks!!! =(

12$ /month for 100 Mb/s - Romania

KonZ3N13413y said:

Got one of the worst connection. 1MB for $69 a month here in the Philippines.

Johny47 said:

I'm using my parents' Sky S***band, suppose to be 2.6mbp/s but I really am getting(while downloading Dirt 2 off steam 54kbp/s) which is F'n wrong, that's slower than flippin dial up! doesn't help that my parents are dumb when it comes to Tech either and Sky s based in Scotland so it will cost to send someone out to 'look' at the line and connections.

Also is it true, places like Lithuania(comments above) and Japan get over 100mbp/s download? Incredible, super fibre optic or something.

Classic Rock said:

Hey guys, an Aussie here, : )

Saying that you must already be thinking that I am screwed, and you're probably right. On a good day, my ADSL2+ Broadband download speed is somewhere around about 150 kbps.

However, I am downloading part of the Humble Indie Bundle at the moment and I am at 65.7 kbps

For Gaming, on COD4 my ping never drops below 100... just as an example.

I pay $99 a month, but I get the home phone line rental for free, and all calls to other landlines in Australia are free too, although not international or mobile calls...

My Data allowance caps out at 20 GB each month, and if I go over I am charged 15c per megabyte I use. Happy Days eh? : )

Oh, I just thought I should add this: In the time it took me to write this, my download in the background had dropped from the speed I mentioned before to just 32 kbps. I am the only one using the internet at the moment...

Did I mention I live about half an hour from the center of Adelaide? That's the Capital City of South Australia.

In Israel i pay 34.390$ for 5Mb download and 0.51Kb upload

In Boise, Idaho: $45 for 20mbps

styks1987 said:

74 Mb/s down - 57.79 Mb/s up

Free! Well unless you count paying for college...

styks1987 said:

74 Mb/s down - 57.79 Mb/s up

Free! Well unless you count paying for college...

I love these comparisons that show the USA "behind" in internet speed, and Europe so "far ahead".

The entire area of Europe would fit within the borders of the USA. It's called land area. When you have areas like Japan & Korea, it's easier to run fiber because they are so compact, whereas a place like Texas...well, you can have two cars leave the northern border, one heading south, the other north and the car going north would get to Canada, before the one going south would get to Mexico. Also, with the amount of government red tape, it takes forever to get anything done here.

try and top me

512 kbps up and down $10

Viet Nam's VNPT, 4Mbps down / 640kbps up, $22/month.

Reliable most of the time.

Good enough for me :D

posermobile89 said:

$50 a month for 10 Mb dl and 800K upload..and thats about the actuals I get in Pennsylvania, US. so jealous of the 50$ a month 100MB O.O

It's true,. Countries are small, so there are many monoblock type houses with flats, because there aren't much space. So for ISP it's much cost effective to use optic fiber, than ADSL2+.

I can even do a speedtest, I'm using 80Mbps plan (it's enough for me), but my router is limited to ~75Mbps speed, so I can't get it full at speedtest.

hellokitty[hk] hellokitty[hk], I'm a TechSpot Evangelist, said:

Speed test and high bandwidth isn't very useful for most past 4mb.

Comcast $25

10mb down, 3 up.

around $60 a month for 15mbps down/ 2mbps up with powerboost i have seen it get up to 26mbps usually average around 16 - 20mbps.. the upload is always 2mbps upload always has sucked :|