Mozilla Weave gets re-branded as Firefox Sync

By on May 21, 2010, 10:31 AM
Mozilla's browser sync tool, Weave, is getting another update this week along with a re-brand meant to help less in-the-know Firefox users understand what the software does. Starting with version 1.3b5 and going forward, Weave will be known as Firefox Sync as Mozilla prepares to start publicizing this little known tool for daily usage. Basically what it does is keep your bookmarks, history, passwords, open tabs and other Firefox data in sync across computers.

Besides the name change, Firefox Sync 1.3b5 features a new user interface, better response times during syncing, new production server clusters built to handle larger loads, Fennec (Firefox Mobile) support, and a backup feature for your bookmarks before the first sync so you can 'undo' any modifications in the event of an accidental overwrite. The full list of changes can be found on the official release notes.

You can you can grab Firefox Sync 1.3b5 on this page by clicking on the Experimental version link next to the download button -- or just the stable version, Weave Sync 1.2, by clicking on the download button. The feature is currently available as an extension, but there are future plans to integrate Sync 2.0 into Firefox 4.0.

jink said:

I prefer the browser\platform agnostic XMarks and Lastpass.

Recycle said:

I used XMarks in the past, but as someone who only uses Firefox on Windows machines, Weave does a fine job.

TJGeezer said:

Xmarks and Lastpass work so well on the multiple browsers I use, I don't really see an advantage in Weave for me. I can see an advantage for Mozilla to serve its user base this way, and I suppose there's something to be said for using a browser's "native" technology if that's the only one you use. Still... does the new Sync have features that would make it worthwhile for someone who only uses Firefox to switch from Xmarks as @Recycle seems to have done? Is it maybe faster, or something?

Puiu Puiu said:

They just didn't planned it right. I don't think many people will use it. I'm still not convinced.

Leeky Leeky said:

I use xmarks. I use firefox but across several platforms, so if its windows only (I've not read the full article) then I'll be staying put. lol.

ITs a nice idea, but a little too late as others are much more developed and matured.

Um, who *are* the people posting below? XMarks and LastPass do not have the same functionality of Weave-- syncing tabs, not bookmarks.

Leeky Leeky said:

Xmarks also now syncs active tabs I believe, I feature I don't use really. Isn't that pretty much the same thing?

That said, from reading, xmarks does the same job as the mozilla version for me, so its fair to compare them.