Weekend Open Forum: Where do you get your entertainment?

By on June 4, 2010, 9:03 PM
With the distribution and consumption of media rapidly shifting to Web-based mediums, bigwigs are scrambling to carve out their niche. It's never been easier to hop online and download music, TV shows, movies, and games through entirely legal – and increasingly affordable – services like iTunes, Netflix, Steam and countless others.

About $10 a month gets you instant and unlimited streaming access to millions of songs, another tenner covers a wide range of shows and films, and outfits like Steam have mind-blowing sales every week, with games such as GTA IV for well under the $10 mark. Despite all of that, the entertainment industry still faces challenges with piracy.

While we don't promote violating copyright laws, everyone has at least one illegally-acquired song in their collection, so let's not pretend such things don't occur. Just about any form of digestible media is readily available on a myriad of P2P sites and it can be hard to turn your back on free goods – at least until you're served a $2,500 settlement letter.

Without dragging this on, we simply want to ask: What services do you rely on for your music, videos, and games? Have you always gone the legal route? Perhaps you're a longtime pirate scared straight? Feel free to comment as a Guest user if you'd rather the world not know about your torrented movie collection.

princeton princeton said:

Ok most games I buy for entertainment usually begin with a torrent. If I like it I buy it. I love the show criminal minds. I torrented the first season after I began watching it to see if buying the DVD was worth it compared to recording it on my shitty tube TV. So I bought em. The only things I really pirate are things like 3DSMax which no consumer in their right mind will buy just to look at a few models.

myrmidonks myrmidonks said:

Music: I would rather not mess with the music industry right now, especially since they are coming down hard on many unsuspecting people. No more illegal music downloads for me. However, I am doing something quite similar to that... I have used iTunes in the past, but now with the 3-tier pricing scheme, I am turning to my friends to give me music, and I can almost always find one of them who has any song I want.

Movies: Currently using Netflix, watching movies on my computer, and occasionally getting a DVD when instant play isn't available. I got the streaming disc to watch from my Wii as well, but the quality is not the best.

Games: Games that I would most likely want to play online, I buy at a discounted price from ebay, and occasionally I buy at full price. (CD keys are very annoying ; D) I do admit that I have downloaded a fair share of games "illegally", but the games industry has not yet begun reprimanding us, although I am sure they will start soon.

KG363 KG363 said:

I am a high school student with no money. I have pirated a few games for my PC that I already own for Xbox. I buy most games from steam. In my entire 17 years of existence, I have never bought music. We have full cable. I pretty much only pirate music and a few movies

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

captaincranky said:

@ Matthew; I simply can't figure this out, why would you choose this as a topic? You know all you're going to get is every ying-yang bragging about how much intellectual property they've pirated, then rationalize it. (sic) "If they had any good movies, music, or games I'd be willing to pay for them, but they don' so I steal them instead".

I can only conclude that you actually work for the RIAA, or MPAA.

I was wondering the same thing. Does anyone really think that Techspot would not hand over any identifiable information about its users if asked to do so by the RIAA or MPAA? Does Techspot get a reward for turning in its users? Money is money people.

Don't be lulled into a false sense of security and don't incriminate yourself. This topic should be killed.

grvalderrama said:

I've never paid for a PC game. But I don't play that much, which is not an excuse. Music, I used to download a lot. Now, I rather buying my discs and then upload them to my mp4 and pen drive. I do download movies, but in Argentina it isn't a crime, making profit of it it's a crime. Besides, I own a video club, and ALL its movies are legal, perhaps in Europe or North America it's a common thing to have everything right, but here... it's like WTF! My father and I are very proud of it, but it's not a growing business anymore.

Furthermore, new PC games are like U$S45, which is a lot! Most games cost between 100-200 argentinian pesos. Do you know what's the avarage wage here? It's $2900! Buying ONE game means to spend 7% of your salary.

Well, I'm not saying that piracy it's a good thing, but I wish It was easier for us (south american people) to get legal material without bleeding... you come to your own conclusions.

Bye!

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

well I have to say that its really been a pleasure paying for all of you who pirate,steal, borrow, try out, or whatever gets you through the night. You are the reason that my copy of CODMW2 was $60, and the copy of Metro 2033 was $50.

And before some genius comes in here in a clever attempt to say that piracy doesn't cost anybody anything unless a physical object leaves the store in someones shorts, and proceed to tell me that I don't understand economics....yeah that's BS. I do understand and know first hand that theft is accounted for and built into the cost of goods and services. It has a place on the spreadsheet the same as turning on the lights and garbage collection. if it doesn't cost the rest of us at the POS, it costs us in the limited selection of quality products to choose from. But hey, you can get away with it right? BTW, im sure vehicles cost too much as well right? why not "try one out first" and see how that works out for you.

PaulWuzHere PaulWuzHere said:

I have been using a lot of steam for my games, sitting around and catching weekend deals. Music? It's all about streaming! Legal and pandora is fun. Movies, Netflix and redbox. Jail = Fail

treeski treeski said:

red1776 said:

Untrue. Activision/Blizzard is a greedy company, straight up. They make solid games and know people will pay for them, so they charge more. This is also why they'll be charging $60 for Starcraft2, plus more for the Zerg/Protoss campaigns.

[link]

As to where I get my content: I buy most of my games nowadays through steam, and always wait for some kind of discount weekend. I can watch movies/TV shows through my GF's netflix account. I buy music if it's a band that I really want to support.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Nice try. by greedy you mean they actually want to make a profit?...how dare they! you are flat out wrong treeski. Theft is accounted for and calculated into the cost. that is fact.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

First of all, for kg363, props to you for being stand up enough to flat out say you pirate stuff. Not that I agree with that, but it's miles ahead of the jerks who pony up the worst of excuses to justify doing the same. Those of you who routinely cry about why you steal here on TechSpot, take notice. If you're going to Torrent stuff you shouldn't, at least be man enough to admit it like kg363 who is a whopping 17 years old.

As far as my entertainment, I've been a computer game junkie from the very first Pong. I've owned everything from the first Pong game (plugged in to the back of your bad B&W TV set) to the Amiga to the Commodore 64, to a number of Nintendo consoles - you name it. These days, I am a PC gamer only (which is why I am so hard-core against PC game theft) and between those games and my blu-ray player - that's pretty much how I spend my digital recreational time.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Red, you're theoretically a grownup, how many times do I have to tell, you can't change the mind of a sociopath, no matter how well intentioned you may be. There are so many self minted, "Robin Hoods" in this "brave new world", yet they all seemed to have missed the point of the story. No, no, silly, you're supposed to rob from the rich, then give it to others, not yourself. (And that, "but I'm poor", excuse doesn't fly either).

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

I see the editors of this website took down my last post warning people about incriminating themselves and that if asked Techspot may turn over information to the RIAA and/or MPAA. Maybe other readers can profit by turning in other Techspot members. Why censor me? What is your stance Techspot? I just want to know that if you are going to ask a loaded question that you aren't using it to profit off of the misfortunes or crimes of others. I am not being rude or impolite. I want your readers to have assurance where you stand on the matter so they do not incriminate themselves in some matter. I am taking a screen shot of this posting and future posts as to show your responses.

I just want to say that it varies on the age unless you or your parents are rich then you have nothing to say. I get most of my music P2P I always buy single songs of my favorite artist or if just a song I like that I heard in a movie. Videos; tvshows, movies mostly P2P and just plain google search heck I could watch youtube all day I have a TV in my house since 09 I stopped watching TVshows on my TV all I do on it is play games anyways I don't think I ever see myself buying a TV show movie maybe I'll occasionally see a movie in the theater if its a show like Transformers 3, Iron Man...etc. At this moment the only game console I pirate is the Wii and I'll probably still buy games like Brawl or any Mario related game always buy my 360 games PS3 of course I always buy them nothing else I can't do, DS ok I do have card to play mostly any game I want but I always buy my pokemon games always I will never dwnload a pokemon game... the new ones at least I play Pokemon Red/yellow on the PC once in a while why are they selling em' they should just give them away for free srsly.

Even if I was rich I will probably take the illegal route once in a while for TV shows and Movies probably there's really no point in having cable when all this is possible to get in a click of a button. Thats my 2 cents

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Guest:

Captaincranky:

Your right Cap, its a different world....I give up

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Actually Red, there must be something wrong with me. OTA television entertains the living crap out of me. You don't have to steal it, they pump it directly to your living room, in glorious hi-def, and it's free. All you have to do is adjust the rabbit ears once in a while.

But see, I'm old, and I really don't know how to have fun.

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

captaincranky said:

The reason I gave my original opinion was in response to your "loaded question" point. This site forbids talk of piracy of any kind, yet we start threads, that IMO, seemingly must gravitate towards that type of discussion.

At the end of the day, I think that the membership at large should censor themselves. Basically, do what you want in private, and have the good taste to shut up in public.

In my perfect world, P2P malware victims would not be given aid and comfort. Everybody has also "lost their Windows disc", which always makes me wonder if even the OSes are legit.

If you got your free malware with your free music, fix your own computer. At least you'll have some nice tunes to listen to while you reformat.

I agree cranky. People shouldn't post in public forums about illegal activity. I could care less if some guy illegally downloads or not. I just want to know what Techspot intends to do with the information collected. Most likely, this post was a simple "where do you get your digital entertainment from?" question. However, people should realize that there is a threat of their information being used against them whether it be from Techspot or just some reader looking to make a fast buck by collecting this information and handing it over. Just be warned people... downloaders have been sued for just leaving an IP address. Do you really want to go through that hassle?

"This site forbids talk of piracy of any kind"

This thread in general has broken that rule. The writer of the article tells you to use the 'guest' login if you don't want to reveal your identity. Why should I be told I can hide my identity if I have nothing to fear?

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

We aren't going to "do" anything with the information "collected" heh. This is nothing more than an open discussion about what digital entertainment services (of the zillions) people feel are worth spending money on. I didn't directly tell anyone to use the Guest account.

Frankly, I don't think people have a good reason to mask their fictitious screen name on a topic discussing torrents. That said, I don't speak for everyone, and I can recognize that it's a sensitive subject. Some people might prefer to post anonymously, and that's fine.

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

red1776 said:

If theft is already accounted in the price of a video game, then would the so-called "stolen games" already be paid off? Also, if the price of the game reflects theft, why are these software companies trying to get paid twice for the same copy of said game? They are, by your information, getting paid for these illegally downloaded copies by raising the price of legal copies then suing to get paid for the illegal copies. That is like someone selling the same car to two different people.

seefizzle said:

I torrent everything. Except video games. I buy them through steam.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

We really need to defuse this discussion a bit, just a notch or two, nothing too radical.

Red is pointing to a fact of business life. If you go into Walmart and steal something, those losses are calculated into the selling price of the remaining items. If 20% are likely to be stolen, then next time you buy one, plan on paying 133% of the pre-theft price. That's a "gross profit margin" calculation. I know you're thinking it shout be 120%, but business doesn't work that way.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

See, this is one of those points, that in good faith, you really shouldn't have to make. But since it appears necessary, I'll take a shot at it too.

In a technical sense, Techspot doesn't have any need whatsoever to "collect information". since in the forum, and by its very nature, it is a collection of information. So now, how can anybody complain about relinquishing information that they've contributed voluntarily in the first place?

Everybody knows that this is a public forum, you don't have to sign in to view the forum. You only have to sign in to place information into the >>> collection....! Who's viewing, who knows, Bill Gates, the FBI, Weird Al Yankovich, could be anybody.

Everybody gets lectured almost everyday, "once something is on the internet, it's there forever".

So then, if you don't want anybody to see what you've said, why not simply shut your yap. This of course, does presuppose, an individual's command of a certain amount of normally applied self control. Just shut up, it's that simple.

If you think spewing a bunch of information about how much illegal content you've acquired is an "admission absolves guilt" protocol, save it, I'm not your minister.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

...If you go into Walmart and steal something, those losses are calculated into the selling price of the remaining items. If 20% are likely to be stolen, then next time you buy one, plan on paying 133% of the pre-theft price. That's a "gross profit margin" calculation. I know you're thinking it shout be 120%, but business doesn't work that way.

That percentage will probably increase to cover severence payments for their workers....at least the thieves need not worry about the Ninja Customer Services Managers

Jibberish18 said:

Netflix. Instant View Mostly. On my Roku Box. That and I like converting shows to MPEG 4 (or sometimes leaving them as is) and streaming them to my iPhone through my internet connection to watch at the gym.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I understand your thinking on that Dark, but the answer is no. I have 26 years of business experience and training, and 14 years of being on corporate budget committees and know that theft is calculated in many different ways. It can be that we finance their purchases and we know from experience that a certain number of customers will not pay the finance charges or interest we have to pay. Thus it gets figured in at higher wholesale cost of X%. It can be loss of economy of scale of only pressing 500k copies rather than 1M copies.It can be in the form of more employees salaries for tech support due to having to field troubleshooting for copies they didn't even sell and make money on. Whatever or however theft impacts the bottom line, The cost of the building,salaries,development,production, down to the electric bill and company garbage collection, is amortized over less units sold because of theft. and the folks actually purchasing the product pay more per unit. You can argue if you like that Activision ,etc , are reaping 'to much profit', and that's a different discussion. But you are paying for the pirating if you purchase the product.Another way that theft costs the consumer is by limiting the choice,quality, and competition in the marketplace. I don't know what specifically is not there, however I would wager a healthy sum that there are projects out there that will not be developed because the cost cannot be recaptured due to rampant piracy. And it always amazes me that the people who ***** the most about lack of, or poor quality games...are the ones stealing them. As far as pulling a financial 'double jeopardy' by going after the individuals who pirate, I don't think they expect to recapture their financial losses, they want to actually stop the theft to increase the market for legitimate sales. Weather that is an effective tool or not, again a different discussion.

I just hope that all of these people that think they can arbitrarily deem others labor and creativity grow up and decide what they want to do for a living. At least stay consistent about it when someone decides that they are entitled to their good or product and steal it...including intellectual property.

Richy2k9 said:

hello ..

@ 1st was quite hesitant in replying here, but OK why not .... let's not be hypocrite!

when i was younger (that was long ago LOL), still at school, i had a lot of games which i bought from 1 of the rare PC games & software shop (on diskettes), the price wasn't really high but not cheap either, the only problem, there were no legit software available & till now hasn't change that much.

I did change! I feel it's stealing to own pirated contents, even if i do still own a few items (music/games/movies) from my past life, i've gone through an almost 180 degrees turn.

i listen to music off streaming site & buy original CDs ONLY, I play on the PS3 & my PC games are from steamy site & alike. I watch movies in HD & TV series on Sat, i bought a few DVDs & blu-rays after watching the same in theaters.

The Internet is now my legal source of entertainment, it cost me more but i feel happy with it.

I never finished any games i got illegally in the past, had too many & not enough time, or maybe didn't feel the real value for got them either for nothing (from friends) or too cheap.

It's since i buy my stuffs that i really enjoy them. I don't blame people still downloading, it's still too early to get everyone join the right side, but i'll advise to anyone, if you can do buy legit. I understand it's hard for students & those having no fixed revenue. I'm not that rich, no i'm not even rich, who knows tomorrow maybe i'll be so. I'm rich in experience & i can say with confidence that paying for what we like even in special bargain sales, it pays off with time for all parties.

some hints: go for steamy, direct2drive or Good ol games promos, i also buy old PC magz with full games for ONLY Rs60 (1.77 US$) - i know i won't really play them, but it fills my need to have a lot of games.

I use freewares & portable apps & some apps come with the hardware i purchase.

Music & movies are the only i need to totally convert, i'm re-purchasing a few albums & blu-rays, but can't get rid of old illegal stuffs until i replace them all.

So whatever you do, as long as you can live with it, too good but if you really like something, believe me it's worth owning it & feel the pride when saying it.

Cheers!

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

. I don't think they expect to recapture their financial losses, they want to actually stop the theft to increase the market for legitimate sales. Weather that is an effective tool or not, again a different discussion.

With that being said, is it reasonable to expect any kind of reciprocity from a manufacturer. Or would it be wishful or idealistic thinking to do so? Basically the question is this, if everybody stopped stealing a company's merchandise, would the company be willing to accept a lower profit margin on more units sold?

This is at the heart of these discussions. And it's very easy to be cynical about any benevolence to be had from big business. It would break the cycle, but who would have to make the first move, and what would likely be the response. The people at the top of businesses tend to be detached, and extremely greedy. Perhaps the "non-paying" customer is "always right". Thorny concept indeed. I'm old and jaded both, and I believe that the rich get richer, and the poor get poorer, it just happens a whole lot faster nowadays.

I think that Redbox is the harbinger of a Utopian entertainment era being ushered in. I mean really, the movie studios will take 20 bucks from you for a movie that isn't worth sitting half way through once. For a dollar though, you really don't feel so cheated, dirty, or violated.

So then, to bring this back to topic, I get my feature films from Redbox. I buy actual CDs, and watch OTA broadcast TV. Then there's the constant bickering at Techspot, I enjoy that a great deal too.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Good points, a couple of thoughts on that from my experience anyway. I added an edit right before you posted Cap about theft restricting competition, and limiting choice. I don't think they would do it out of the kindness of their hearts no. but competition would require them to. I also believe ( having lived it for so many years that yes they would take a smaller profit margin per unit in trade of higher volume) and reduced theft would lower production cost of each individual unit as well. It would take a while to reverse no doubt as the kitty has already been let out of the burlap in that $50 or $60 threshold has been set for a premier new title, However i have yet to see in 26 years where it hasn't worked. Its like whats his nuts said. "Abstinence works every time its tried" not my favorite theme... but you get the picture.

hehe, I think whoever invented the redbox is a marketing genius.

SSaywell said:

I have to say that I do download a fair amount via torrents like Criminal Minds, Bones, NCIS: LA, House although I really don't know why because I could watch all these programs on TV via my Sky subscription but I like being able to watch it when I want but I could do that by using Sky Player (There VOD service) so I really have no idea why I do download it. I always buy games for my PC and PS3. Movies, well I am subscribed to a movie rental service, I used to have it where i was allowed one at a time but as many as I want a month but now I just get 2 per month, I also use the PS3's movie rental service (I pay the same for 2 DVDs a month as I do to watch one on PS3) and I also download some movies less legitimate ways (Keep them as long as you want and cheaper).

I used to download everything,years ago,when I was a teenager.I have seen the light and buy my video games through retail or steam,and either buy music as CD's or listen to it on spotify.

Pirating games on PC is a piece of cake and I can see why it happens so often,its usually just a case of downloading the game and applying the crack.As I have so many games which I have bought for PC, I don't like putting the CD/DVD in all the time,in this case I will download "No-DVD" cracks from GameCopyWorld.

As for TV shows etc,I either buy it on DVD cheaply,by looking for the best bargains online etc or I can get my mates to lend me their stuff,if they have TV shows as a AVI file,I don't mind them giving me a copy and playing it on my Xbox 360 or PS3.I do not see anything wrong with that,especially as its TV shows I usually get this way.

I too agree with Red,the companies have to claw the money back somewhat,which makes you feel furious as a legitimate buyer.

gobbybobby said:

I pirate games I have once allready owned. EG I lost my Rollercoaster tyoon 2 disk. I torrent it Seems fair as I bought it. Now with the Sims 2 I thought £20 per expantion pack was too much. So I Bought Univerciry, Pirated Nightlife, Bought Pets pirated the Holiday One. So my Sims 2 copy was only Half legal LOL.

I too have Never Bought a Song. I used to Download it all, now I use Spotify. Did use Spotify Premium for a few months, but 3G coverage where I lived bad so I could not sue it on Mobile very well, and I got no money being a student.

All my Games I buy on Steam, my most recent Purchase was the Defence Grid DLC, Alpha Protocol and I might buy Shatterd Horizones while Its half price. I have a PS3/Xbox360 neither are cracked buy all Games Legit for them.

TV, as I have a SKy TV subscription I do not see the difference between torrenting the programs and recording them with SKy +. (Ok I do download it in HD and don't have sky HD) If there was a TV service that ran off adverts (IE u watched a 60 second Add before it starts like youtube) I would use it. I want to watch the full season of the Big band Theory. But its not on http://www.seesaw.com/ (as it aired on Channel 4) So Im gonna torrent it. I love the show but being a student with little/ no money I just cannot afford that.

I am a computer Games design Student so know how Piracy Effects the Games Industry, Y developers have switched to console. Activision are a bad company. EA are a bad company Tho have got better recently. But I also think People blaim piracy for too much/ I hate it when a really Shit game is released and everyone pirates it instead of paying the full £30 to see what its like and the dev goes ''0h clearly piracys fault it not sold well''

Game devs work hard on there games, But if its Shit its Shit. Nothing you can do excecpt Patch some of it, but damage is done as people don't review games again after they been patched.

Plz do not Flame My opinions.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Movies and TV: I used to get them on DVD's when I was single. Since I married I get them on cable.

Music: Never was all that much into music. I occasionally buy a CD, and even more rarely buy a downloadable song. That's because few online music services support Israel.

Games: I buy at online stores, often on Steam sales, but I also have a decent size collection from Big Fish Games (casual store). I don't play much these days.

Here in Suriname ( South America) everything is downloaded illegal and sold in stores just like that and still its legal in this country. you name it music, games, pirate movies just everything can be found in almost every store here. new title games are sold for SRD35 thats like $11. new movies on dvd for just SRD5 thats not even $2 and a music (mp3) cd with all the song you want on it for just $5.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Ok Guys, I Guess I should add my 2 Pennys in? (see i'm from England

I have knowingly pirated music, But before anyone hurts me, it was the newest "Seether" Album and i loved his first one so wanted to check this one out, it was awesome! so the next day went to HMV and Brought the CD. The only other Thing I have Pirated is "World of Goo" mainly because a friend kept raving about it but from what i could see on the net it didn't look that great but again sure enough it was awsome and I went and bought the game for 7p.

I own many games on PC, Xbox 360 and ps2. I am 17 years old (about to hit 18 in 27 days!) and my family is not what i would call "Rich" instead, the day i decided I wanted to build a computer and I went and got a paperround, after that I now have a full career in IT and have done since i was 16!

Anyone who blames it on being poor have nothing to say except they are lazy sh*ts that cannot be bothered to get a job and actually make something of themselves.

I can go from being poor in a small house with my parents and owning practically nothing, to finally buying the games and content I want, why can't you?

I Live in High Wycombe (Just outside London) and here i know plenty of people who Pirate, and I have warned them that laws are coming in to stop them, yet they take no notice, Even though its my best friend, i cannot wait for him to get caught!

JDoors JDoors said:

Movies: Mostly DVD's through Netflix.

While I have an HD computer monitor, it's unwatchable compared to my home theater -- used to buy the DVD's of movies I love, don't know if there's been no movies I love, if I'm satisfied with rentals, or if I just got out of the habit, but I don't buy DVD's any more.

Music: Buy.

Only a few are worth full price, mostly I buy when I can get it cheap (read: online). I spend so much time on this (darned) computer I almost always listen to music though the computer (have a pretty good system).

Games: Haven't played games in a long time (X-Box was my last system, but the Sega Genesis was the last one I played religiously).

I bought games 'cause there was no other option then. Never played PC games. When I WAS playing games, I always had an out-dated computer -- now that I have a state-of-the-art system, I don't play games. :\

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

By all means then, enjoy it while you can. The DMCA is a international law. For those areas who do not yet subscribe to it, you can bet that efforts are under way to curtail the availability of illegal materials, Either from the source, or via threats or enticements to you government. Basically, what we can do to you if you don't comply, versus what we will offer you if you will. Or, as we used to describe this, "the carrot or the stick".

Suriname is a small country, and probably hasn't been identified as an, "emerging market", as of yet. Or if it has, there are likely others with a higher priority.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Ok Guys, I Guess I should add my 2 Pennys in? (see i'm from England
Don't you mean, "two pence"? Or perhaps. "tuppence"?

In my neighborhood, the people are only too happy to make something of themselves. That would be petty crack dealers. Some days Burty, I just don't know where they find any customers. Oh well, maybe on an off day, they sell to each other.

Doesn't it even bother you a bit when you realize, a portion of your discretionary entertainment dollar is either going up Lindsay Lohan's nose, or helping to defray the legal costs she generates?

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

captaincranky said:

No actually, what does p*ss me off more is that I pay hefty Tax for my bum of a friend to go go into education when I know full well that he wants to be a Bum and do nothing, he has already told me!

That hurts more than knowing he will get caught eventually, he is way to stupid to actually cover his downloading, hell i bet his ISP (BT) already track him often because he is downloading almost constantly!

And I did mean 2 PENCE! :P

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

You betcha Burty. And when you factor in Lindsay's coke habit, what you're left with is the warm afterglow of being serially victimized. I've always thought that mailing in our taxes, or having them taken out of our pay, is way too impersonal. Better we should put them on the dresser, with a single rose, and have the government pick them up when it's done with us.

Actually they do, and we all know that. They know those games are favourites among gamers like us, and when Diablo 3 is out.. you'll see if what we were saying is true..

As it stands I pirate about 80% of content for the simple reason it's easier. Even if I like something and go out and buy it then I will download the ripped version so I don't have to stuff around with DVDs etc. Blu-Ray is a classic example, it's a PAIN to play them but double click on the MKV file and away it goes. I am happy to pay for what I watch but give it to me in a way that isnt hard to deal with.

That last point is moot anyway, 80% of the stuff I pirate is typically because it doesn't come out here for 3-12 months (or never) until after US. A lot of those streaming services etc just dont work here so I think piracy really is the only available method.

Johny47 said:

I've never 'pirated' games, movies or music that I really like just asked my sister do download some songs that I think are cool(but not great, usually reminding me of something in a movie or a game) from something called limewire.

I get my movies from online stores like Amazon and Play.com mostly, same with games and music mostly from iTunes but much prefer CD than digital download.

But in future, and I really hope Ubisoft somehow reads this - if they keep going with their absolute garbage anti-piracy thing(need to be connected to the internet to play flippin single player) then I WILL be Jack Sparrowing their PC games from now on =P

In my opinion that is the only bad thing about Splinter Cell Conviction on PC.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I stream Netflix movies on my PS3. Games- Well I pretty much only play World of Warcraft at the moment, other than that I go to Gamestop and buy used PS3 titles. As far as music is concerned, I used to download via limewire, yet recently discovered the kick ass awesomeness of Zune Pass on my zune hd.

Hmm... looks like you can't quote as a guest, so I just have to do it manually.

Quote Burty117:

---

---

*clap clap clap*

I hope you are really proud of yourself, your great career achievements and the unfathomable amount of wisdom that you have collected in the 17... correction... almost 18 years that you have been kind enough to grace us all with. Your friend is truly a blessed person to have someone like you waiting for him to be caught. That is the epitome of great friendship and patience.

Anyway...

This is the omniscient answer that I have been waiting for. I thank thee from the bottom of my heart. I have been wrong all along it would appear. I have autism, recurrent depression and myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME). There are days where I physically cannot even go shopping although the shops are less than 10 minutes from where I live. I have been forced to give up something as simple as casually raiding once a week in World of Warcraft because of the cognitive impairment that comes along with the ME. I could go on for ages about the limitations that I face every second as a result of these conditions, but it matters not. As you so eloquently put it, I am nothing but a poor lazy sh*t that cannot be bothered to get a job and actually make something of myself. Again, thank you for the enlightenment. I shall now go find a job. I am not picky, so surely there must be someone willing to hire someone as capable as me.

Thank you...

Thank you...

Sarcasm aside, I am glad that I live in a country where being disabled still means having enough to maintain a roof over my head, buy decent clothing, eat healthy food and still leave me with enough for a few luxury items. However, as witnessed above, I do get mildly upset when uneducated people come barging in claiming to be all knowing and that people who are poor are just too lazy to get a job and use that as an excuse for pirating. If -only- things were -that- simple... but at least I got some entertainment out of posting a response :)

As much as I would love to, a job is out of the question. I tried and failed. That was before the ME entered the picture, which turned a difficult situation into pure Hell on Earth. So I'm stuck with what I have and must accept that. The end result of that is that I have too many hours to kill and not a whole lot of money to kill them with. That makes pirating almost impossible to avoid. I try to keep it at a minimum though, because it just isn't the way to go however you twist, spin and turn it, nor is it much of a valid excuse. I know what I'm doing is wrong. It's just that there are times where I find that I have little choice.

Thankfully, MMOs are great time wasters at $15 per month and it's often possible to get some really good special offers on Steam if you're patient. There are also plenty of net based radio stations and free music made by hobby musicians. YouTube is always good for a laugh and a you can easily find a truckload of websites with fun or interesting stuff to surf through. Movies and TV series I don't care much for to begin with. As a result, I've found very little need to pirate and I'm estimating that I've spend somewhere between $500 to $1000 so far this year on things that I could have easily pirated. Not bad for a poor lazy old slob ;)

Of course... all that money came from working taxpayers... so who is really paying in the end? Ah... crap eh? :(

-F

If you think that piracy is why games cost $60 then you are crazy. Its all greed on the side of gaming companies. I look back to windows 98 days when UT, Quake and many others offered countless hours of play, no 3 gig patches, connected to servers 90% of time (when most of us had 1mb dsl)!

Diablo, Starcraft, Command and conquer all worked out of the box and did not need huge patches...oh and guess what else all these games were under $50! I am a huge gamer and can count on my hand how many people know how to pirate pc games. Most gamers buy the games. Every since EA and other huge companies took over games have sucked and got more expensive. Do not blame it on piracy

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Hmm... looks like you can't quote as a guest, so I just have to do it manually.

Quote Burty117:

---

---

*clap clap clap*

Anyway...

Thank you...

Thank you...

-F

Mate, i wasn't offending you, So you CAN'T get a job? really? and if you don't have the money don't Pirate. Simple as that, no one in their right mind HAVE the urge to Pirate, its not Crack for Christ sake! delete bit torrent or Vuze or what ever you use. take away any means of pirating if need be and see if your still breathing in the morning...(24 hours later) YOU are breathing! well now you wern't as addicted to Piracy as i first thought.

Anyway as you said last "who is paying for it last". Tax payers like me, Now don't get me wrong, i don't mind my tax going to people with disabilitys or education or anything like that, but its people like you I hate it going to, someone who, yes unfortunately, has a disability yet you completely backstab people like myself and millions of others out their (my Girlfriends ex's mum had a mental issue stopping her from working but she never spent her disability allowance pirating and playing games) and you even seem happy about it?! Its people like you that give everyone else a bad name.

Now i'm not coming in pretending i know all, but i haven't exactly started off great in life either, as you can see i'm crap at spelling, hell your better than me at spelling! Anyway i'm (nearly) 18 yet i can already see Pirating is wrong and what its doing to our games industry (I will always remember getting red alert 2 and it installed and just worked! unlike most of todays games). Why not stop the Pirating, stop getting all upset by 17 year olds and just save up for games, music etc...

Although your right about things like WoW offering basically unlimited playability for a cheap price every month and Steam once offered the orange box for £5!!!! thats just an insane amount of game(s) for such a low price!

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

And I am a good friend, I warned him that the law will catch up with him sooner or later and he has done nothing to Heed my Warning! best of luck to him is all i can say

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

If you think that piracy is why games cost $60 then you are crazy.

It obviously not responsible for all $60 of the price. But to think that that piracy does not add to the cost of goods and services is plain false. and to believe it does not is preposterous.

Geezus, your serious ey? okay, gee I'm not sure but that might have been due to the entire games being a total of 300 megabytes,much less detailed,realistic,and sophisticated.

and BTW what games are there exactly that have required 3 gigabyte patches?

really!? you personally know 2-5 people who know how to crack the code and steal them? How do you know that they know how to pirate games?....thanks for making my point.

Most gamers buy the games.

Geez, you make this too easy. It wasn't my assertion that "most steal" them. But guess what!? that 'less than 50%" who don't......cost people like me who actually pay for them.

Whats great about this is that in a free country they get to ask whatever price they want, and if you don't like the product, or don't think its worth the 'asking' price....you have the option of not buying it!

Do not blame it on piracy

oh i believe I will, because its true.

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

WOW, it's always wonderful to see how we react to such 'hot' topic :P

we need to face it:

- $60 for a game isn't expensive when you consider the work done, millions of originals are still sold & we are not afraid to buy something we like, whether it be of great quality or not. Go check the sales figures!

- I used to have illegal copies at a time where there were no internet & could only buy from the few shops who themselves were selling pirated contents. Since the government of my country changed the laws, we now have more & more legal stores & the pirates are being sued & jailed. I buy from the net for better price & choice, i can say that in my part of the world piracy is mostly due to the lack of supply versus a great demand & at some point even a lack of legislation mix with some ignorance.

- to those using piracy with pretexts, like i'm poor, no job, with disabilities, i'm a student, etc ... if you look harder you will find that some games are really cheap. OK i understand you want the newest games ASAP, believe me with some efforts you may get what you want easily, try do some online jobs like data entry or text redaction, i've seen so much that i'm sure everyone can make it. There's even some gaming sites that sell 1 game @ a real low price / week & gives some cash back voucher on sales or on referral links. I know someone who's blind & who works on the net, so i'm sorry for those who have some limitations, but not only to fight piracy but for everything else, go that extra mile (au figuré bien sur!) ...

I'm so happy i can call myself an Ex-pirate, still maybe i never was for like said previously, i never finished a game before, now it's more than a necessity. I rarely listen to music, except on radio, now on streaming site & do buy a few albums locally or online, i watch TV & go to theaters, buy original blu-rays & play mostly on PS3. On PC it's for the wify, but i get most of her games off myplaycity which is legit & some are cheap enough off steam, GoG, etc ...

piracy can be eliminated, with willpower it can be done. I thank SONY for considering developers & releasing a reliable & secured system, Steam & alike (D2D/GoG) for providing a really great platform for PC gamers & so often at the best price around, myplaycity for the freewares & certainly you people, for you are aware of what you are doing & most are willing to stay on the right side.

cheers!

If piracy effects the retail price then why are ps3 games not cheaper?

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Music: Used to download quite a bit during the Napster/ Kazaa days, I don't anymore. I've never been huge into music, but I'll buy the occasional CD and rip it onto my computer.

Gaming/Software: Before I had a full time job I used to trade software with my friends quite a bit. One of us would buy the game and the rest would make a copy. My C64 game library was mostly copies and cracked games. Now that I do work full time I buy what I want. Steam is an awesome service for pc gaming and for consoles, if I wait long enough I can get just about any game for $15-$30.

Movies/Tv: I don't have cable anymore and I don't miss it. I download the shows I want to watch and if I really enjoy the series I'll buy it on dvd. I'd use netflix but that isn't available in canada.

For movies I used to pay and download them off xbox live but since they changed it to the zune marketplace there is very little content now (at least in canada). Now I'll download some latest releases that look like they might be ok but I don't want to waste money on. I do live down the street from both a movie theater and a movie store so I do frequent them when ever there is something good playing. I won't download a handy cam version as the quality is too poor to bother with (I'm a bit of an a/v snob as I used to work for a high end a/v store). If I enjoy the movie I'll usually buy it when it come out on dvd.