GeForce GTX 460 performance, price detailed

By on July 8, 2010, 12:55 PM
There's not much that hasn't been detailed about Nvidia's upcoming mid-range Fermi card already. Leaks have been trickling in from multiple sources since April and by now we know the GeForce GTX 460 will be based on a cut-down revision of the GF100 chip, dubbed GF104, and that it will come in two versions -- one with 768MB GDDR5 and a 192-bit memory and a slightly more expensive version that will carry 1GB of memory and a 256-bit memory interface.

If you still had any doubts about its existence, however, now you can catch a glimpse of two actual products expected to debut in the coming days along with some press slides detailing their performance. The information was posted by a forum member at Expreview and depicts Gigabyte's GTX 460 as slightly faster than a "generic" HD 5830 in most tests, while remaining a bit slower than the GTX 465. The slides refer to the performance of a reference design GTX 460 with stock frequencies at 675MHz, 3600MHz and 1350MHz for the GPU, memory and shader clocks respectively.

The price is $199 for the 768 MB variant and between $229-239 for the 1GB model, which is rather aggressive for a card that is expected to outperform the $220 Radeon HD 5830. For its part, MSI has a non-reference card in the works which will feature a Cyclone Cooler and should come factory overclocked to 725MHz for the GPU and 1450MHz for shaders. There's no word on pricing for this model yet and a 1GB variant hasn't been confirmed either.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I want whatever drugs the designer of that heat sink is taking.

princeton princeton said:

If a card of that price will outperform the hd 5830 it will be a great card for a multi gpu setup at that price.

well if it is faster than the 5830; then i will open up my wallet for one to replace my aging 7600gt.

exozito said:

They had used this cooler on the ATI HD4890.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

It'd be good to see NVIDIA compete in price with AMD. Might finally cause some price drops.

Il take some of the stuff the heatsink designer is taking.

I wounder when those ATi 59XX cards will finally hit the market en mass to let those prices fall some more =)

Hopefully, it will be good to see Nvidia back in the fight, time will tell.

If i mention, Bush, Clinton and Obama, will bots rain down with posts?

Hahaha, I have an aging 7600GT too :) Although I'm not planning on buying another Nvidia. Just a personal preference thing, I want to build an AMD/ATI machine next, I now have an Intel/Nvidia.

kakarot27 said:

i like the heatsink design it really eye-catching and would look fantastic in a multi gpu setup

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I want whatever drugs the designer of that heat sink is taking.

Tom, that's the same heatsink they put on the OC 1Ghz core 4890

I guess they shared their 'stuff'

[link]