MSI ships 16" GT660R gaming notebook

By on July 26, 2010, 2:48 PM
MSI has begun shipping its new 16-inch high-end gaming notebook, the GT660R, which is currently available online in at least one sub-model. Priced at $1,700, the GT660R-004 offers a 1366x768 display resolution, an Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz base frequency and up to 2.93GHz with Turbo Boost), a 1GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 285M GPU, 6GB of DDR3 RAM spread across three slots, dual 500GB 7200RPM HDDs, and a Blu-ray drive.

MSI spiced things up by adding two USB 3.0 ports alongside the expected USB 2.0, VGA, HDMI, eSATA, and wired/wireless network connectivity. The GT660R is also home to a 4-in-1 card reader, a 720p HD webcam, and a 9-cell battery provides a maximum lifetime of three hours, but don't count on that if you're gaming. The 7.7lb machine ships with the 64-bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium as well as a two-year warranty.

Zilpha Zilpha said:

Looks like a really solid machine. Also quite pretty. I wonder how much heat that thing puts out.

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

I really don't understand the cruddy resolution displays they're putting on all these "gaming" laptops. They all seem to be this way lately - makes the machine painful to use for anything else.

princeton princeton said:

lncpapa said:

That's the point. It's strictly for gaming. Everyone knows at there prices they should be using high res displays like 1680x1050 and 1920x1080. They also shouldn't be using a GTX 285M in a $1700 machine. Mobile HD 5000 or mobile GTX 400 cards please.

---agissi--- ---agissi---, TechSpot Paladin, said:

...a 9-cell battery provides a maximum lifetime of three hours, but don't count on that if you're gaming. The 7.7lb machine...

I hate to be negative but you'd have to have your head so far up your --- you cant see daylight to buy one of these. $1700.

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

The only big downfall I see is the display. A nicer GPU would be great, but that one isn't bad either. Everything else on the machine looks pretty decent to me especially proc, RAM, and optical drive - perhaps swapping out one of the hard drives with an SSD to speed up boot times could be a last modification.

It's a laptop. if you want great resolution on a gaming machine go for a desktop with a man-sized monitor.

princeton princeton said:

Lots of laptops use high quality displays allowing for resolutions like 1920x1080. If I buy a laptop for gaming I expect it to use a high res.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

---agissi--- said:

+1 on that!

Go buy a desktop, sure you can't carry it around, but why would you carry around such an expensive (and rubbish spec to price ratio compared to a desktop build) laptop in the first place? do you really need to play WoW on the bus? just get an iphone and play games on that or a DSi or something since they are actually small enough to easily carry around.

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

As someone who often spends half (or more) of his year on the road, stuck in hotels at night, I can emphatically say that a good gaming laptop has a place in society The sticker shock often hurts, but honestly my laptops often get more gaming action than my home PC does. And there are more consumers like me out there than you might guess.

I often avoid the "gaming" versions, and look towards decent desktop-replacement varieties that have good discrete graphics cards. Funny enough, those tend to have similar (but less "optimized" performance, but fall well under the jacked up price points of the gaming units. And they tend to have decent battery life compared to comparable hardware in gaming laptops, which always baffled me. My last actual "gaming" laptop purchase was an XPS unit, which has performed remarkably well these last few years, considering the amount of abuse it receives during my travels. I have begun contemplating the conundrum of what to replace it with, as its age is definitely showing now, though.