WOF: Windows' biggest annoyances in your book

By on August 14, 2010, 1:56 AM
[Weekend Open Forum] With the latest versions of Windows and OS X available for about a year, the OS debate may be tired by now. However as we look forward into the next iterations of these operating systems and the hints they will want to take from their more limiting but widely acclaimed mobile counterparts, I invite you to complain about your current OS in this edition of the Weekend Open Forum.

Recently I took a break from Windows when working on my laptop using OS X instead. Then when I returned to a clean install of W7 I realized how disturbing certain things still are about the whole experience until you get to tweak and configure Windows to your liking (letting the OS work seamlessly in the background).

So here's my shortlist of annoyances, feel free to voice off and share your own in the comments...

• Start-up but most importantly wake from standby takes ages.
  • Windows will insist and keep bugging you until you install the latest available updates. These are frequent and most of the time require a restart.
  • Every third party program believes it's entitled to place their own bloated service/utility/updater when Windows starts. Worst of all, many of these so-called utilities try to bug you with splash screens and prompts when you start your PC.
  • Security is no longer as big of an issue, but even the milder version of UAC on Windows 7 is somewhat annoying (to be fair, it's about the same in other operating systems).
  • Windows can be a resource hog and thus a battery drain on its own. Despite the improvements seen on W7, it could do better.
  • (Bonus) A majority of the time OEM Windows PCs come bloated with trial software, crippling the user experience.

To be fair, some good stuff:

• In my opinion Windows is far superior than OS X for multitasking.
  • The best driver support you can get by far on any OS.
  • Apple users may rejoice about the sheer amount of apps available for the iPhone, but Windows users have been used to the same kind of treatment for over a decade, and I'm talking about freeware software and not necessarily commercial.
  • Windows 7 jump lists are a real godsend when properly used.

So how about your biggest complaints? Where do you want to see improvements? I'll make sure someone from Microsoft's Windows team checks out this thread later on. Discuss.

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

Well in Windows XP, all the way up to Server 2003 there is in my opinion the extremely annoying behavior of the taskbar and start-menu

When you boot your computer fresh, and just when you see the desktop (but it is still loading stuff from the HDD) if you start navigating the start-menu it will simply be closed down on you, very annoying.

I can have it do that to me 2 or 3 times in a row, it takes of course just a minute or so untill the computer has completed loading, but it is still very annoying

The yellow popup with the current date you get when hovering the mouse over the clock, this will oftenly end up under the taskbar itself, the popup for other stuff in the taskbar is the same too...

I once installed a third party patch for this (The issue has existed since Windows 95)

But this patch made my computer not behave well, so I had to uninstall it

[link]

The fact that the "detailed list" in explorer does not have a "folder size" view

I do use a third party app for that and it works quite well tho; http://foldersize.sourceforge.net/

(I tried upgrading it from 2.4 to 2.5 on my XP x64 but that made it perform worse, so I went back)

Decimae said:

Start up I have too; but wake up from standby(or sleep) isn't that bad in windows.

Bugging you to install the latest updates is terribly annoying if you use a laptop which goes into sleep instead of shutting down.

Those service/update things are annoying too, but Linux and I think OS X have some of them too.

The UAC in windows 7 is a lot more annoying then linux' version for some reason to me. Security is still an issue though, not like in Linux or OS X and that requires resource-intensive antiviri.

Windows is a terrible resource hog indeed.

Luckely, I don't buy OEM pc's like most techspot users.

Linux is superior to windows in terms of multitasking with things like multiple desktops.

Windows only gets that good drivers because of their bigger marketshare; with a smaller marketshare the drivers would be worse.

Most of this freeware(excluding the games) is also available for linux as FOSS.

I never used win7 jump lists but they're not annoying either.

I get annoyed by the fact that windows manages to get slower if you install more programs even if you de-install them later after.

I'd also like an ubuntu-type FOSS installation service.

I pretty much want my OS to be linux with the windows interface and drivers; but that's just me I guess.

This is about Vista:

Explorer should always show free space on current drive (i doesn't always now)

It should be possible to make detail view for transfers permanent so you dont have to fold it out every time to see transfer rate on your file transfers. The file window should follow the folder tree window when using the arrows. Highlighting a folder in the folder tree with the contents of a totally other folder in the file window doesn't make any sense.

A shortcut key for making folder would be nice, I often find myself rightclicking anywhere to find the one pixel that lets me create a folder. The folder tree in explorer should have a horizontal scroll bar.

Context menus should be more streamlined. They often allow a lot of irrelevant tasks and not the one you need. More easy customization here please.

An option to show file extensions in explorer (not the filetypes from the registry, but the "real" extensions)

An option to stop explorer from treating folders differently depending on it's contents.

Intelligent move for many small files (It should delete the files after copying to another drive to speed it up dramatically)

Make programs and their data follow each other so you can use the same data in a dual boot or easily transfer programs to a new installation without having to use half a day to set them up correctly. Savegames should NOT be put into the documents folder !

Moving menu items arround sorted after how often it is used is so wrong, you never know where to find what you are looking for. (that goes for the start menu too!!)

You should be able to turn off shadow copying without turning of restore points. Restore points should not be deleted by turning off the service, but you should be able to delete them manually.

I have many more, but i can't remember them right now.

Too many terrible small windows with no chance of resizing.

Too heavy use of modal windows.

Too much focus on "weak users" and to little on "power users" (yes I hate thumbnails and love lists!)

If something goes wrong trying to print something on a printer(like a network printer which gets a new ip address since last time) it just hangs, you can't even cancel the job.

IE's settings get carried over to stupid applications like winamp, that's annoying.

Help never helps.

The control panel gets worse and worse, it's a science just to find your network settings to change the dns or ip.

Punkid said:

i have nothing against windows...sure it takes a little bit of setting up after a clean install , but once ur done, it works like a charm...puts the user in control unlike some other OSes

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

I still cannot rename multiple files and assign them sequential numbers (rename file1.txt, file2.txt, file3.txt etc to thisfile1.txt, thisfile2.txt, thisfile3.txt). It was on of the features that Ubuntu (and I'm sure most if not all versions of linux can do) did that I though was quite useful.

Mkv support with subtitles in windows media center would be nice. Divx has for the most part released a decent codec to handle the mkvs but no subtitles as of yet.

Other than that I'm a pretty happy Windows 7 user.

g4mer said:

Windows is really really annoying with sharing and security...!!!! "Network and Sharing Center" is annoying and it should be removed!!

ikesmasher said:

the whole "you need admin privledges" thing, as well as run as admin, is a bit ridiculous. there are better/easier ways to keep system files and program files secure then hassling the user. it annoys me even as a ADVANCED user.

edison5do said:

1 - Updates center

2 - Network and sharing center

3 - IP¬'s, DNS¬'s

These three things make me go crazy!! In Win7 like the other user says YOU HAVE TO BE SCIENTIST TO CHANGE AN IP, and the Printer jobs...!!! just get stuck and don't let you even cancel or remove them. That's really annoying.

edison5do said:

Ohhh and I almost forgot!, What about the searches in Win7, you just got no place to change the way you want... I work with lots of document and mostly .jpg files, inside and outside of lots of folders.....

it makes my job little bit more complicated..

grvalderrama said:

Update center is probably the most annoying thing about windows, but I do have to say that some troubles I was having got fixed. I have nothing else to complain while my games can be run!

Windows Genuine Advantage. I don't see what's so advantageous about having to call an automated service and waste ten minutes of my life every time I upgrade my PC, due to Windows telling me my retail purchased copy is pirated.

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

Does Win7 have a third party folder-size yet?

Punkid said:

@Tekkaraiden

i think u can rename multiple files, if u select multiple files and rename one, the other get a number like file(1).txt, file(2).txt and so on...moreover u can download free programs like bulk rename utility, works like a charm and a powerful tool...

@g4mer

come on , the network and sharing centre is so awesome and simple...

It doesn't take a genius to

1) go into each program settings and stop a- the splash b- startup with windows

2) manage the services as it should be - namely stop the updates, errors reports and any of the installed programs from starting automatically

if you couldn't be bother to learn then spare us the bellyaching emanating from your self imposed ignorance

Also,almost all of Julio's annoyances are not true with the resource hog being the exception.

"Start-up but most importantly wake from standby takes ages."

Stop making your computer bloated and slow by installing crapware. This will happen on every os if the user is retarded.

"Windows will insist and keep bugging you until you install the latest available updates. These are frequent and most of the time require a restart."

How is this an annoyance? If you enjoy having exploits and ignoring the patches, you could turn off automatic in Control Panel/Windows Update/Change Settings-Never Check for updates. You'll have to manually patch your Windows.

"Every third party program believes it's entitled to place their own bloated service/utility/updater when Windows starts. Worst of all, many of these so-called utilities try to bug you with splash screens and prompts when you start your PC"

Stop installing bloatware. This may be the majority of software out there but users have to be able to differentiate that after they visit the download site.

"Security is no longer as big of an issue, but even the milder version of UAC on Windows 7 is somewhat annoying (to be fair, it's about the same in other operating systems)."

"To be fair"? Then you shouldn't even have posted that as an annoyance in the first place unless you like unjust discrimination.

"(Bonus) A majority of the time OEM Windows PCs come bloated with trial software, crippling the user experience."

On my MBP 17" 08', I found it to have worse than trial, clunky bloatware installed straight from Apple. Like Address Book, Automator, Calculator, Chess, Comic Life, Dashboard, Dictionary, DVD Player, Exposť, Font Book, Front Row, Garageband, iCal, iChat, iDVD, Image Capture, iMovie HD, iPhoto, iSync, iTunes, iWeb, iWork (Keynote, Numbers, Pages), Mail, Photo Booth, Preview, QuickTime Player, Safari, Spaces, Stickies, TextEdit, Time Machine.

All of them have much better FREE alternatives for OS X but they still come fully installed. For OEM laptops, those trial software companies PAY the laptop companies to PUT their software on their laptops. This is a business world after all.

The good points aren't the best points but they're decent.

@trillionsin

Windows has had third party Windows Explorer alternatives for quite a while. Google is your friend.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

@edison5do

Dude, you've got the whole thing wrong. Changing an IP is easy! like 5 easy steps easy. I know, i work on a helpdesk and have to direct people to check it over the phone everyday!

And for the printer thing all you have to do is restart the printspooler service. its no biggy or annoying because even if a print job does get stuck it will still print to the printer and once the computer gets re-booted it dissappears anyway.

Also explain a bit more what you mean with the search? I also work with litterally 1000's of files everyday and i find the search to be a god send at times!

Anyway, I think the bit I hate most is that windows doesn't really have a registry cleanup tool inbuilt.

I will paint a moment when this will come in handy. I have had Sims3 installed for the last year now but want to uninstall it as it is taking up lots of space and I don't play it any more. I run through the unistaller and it says successful, then, when my brother complains saying he still plays it and wants it reinstalled. then when I go to it just fails telling me its already installed?

Also, why is it sometimes when you uninstall a media player suck as realplayer it is still linked with certain file types and attempts to open in a program that doesn't exist?

A few other things annoy me also but overall Windows 7 is the bees nees.

fish4specs said:

I have XP running pretty much how i want it. Only two issues, 1) Don't like how search changed, i thing with a .net update. Now have to add a step to get to search companion. 2) my biggest pet peeve, If i click to open an application then begin working in another application, the opening app takes over or takes priority instead of just opening in the background.

Feature i'd like: Shutdown Abort or cancel. Don't know how many times I've realized I forgot to do something immediately after clicking shutdown. Hve to wait for complete shutdown then reboot then shutdown again.

I liked on XP (and previous) that you could drag "My Computer (or whatever)" to the top or side of the screen and it would make a toolbar shortcut there. They got rid of that functionality for Vista and 7. Using Rocket Dock now which isn't too bad though.

@edison5do

i don't really see any problems with print jobs, but if you happen to have them frequently, just make yourself a batch file with this line in it and run it when you have a stuck print job:

net stop spooler & net start spooler

g4mer said:

@punkd

Compare Network and Sharing Center in Windows 7, and Network Connections in Windows XP. In my opinion, Network connections in Windows XP are way way way more easier than NASC in W7.

g4mer said:

and UAC is really really really really really annoying!!! Good thing is it can be DISABLED!

The "games menu explorer" that vista had was great! The one that windows 7 has is awful. I can't configure the menu for batch files or different files to load.

I had crysis and crysis warhead running in 64bit . It was way smoother and I liked it that way. ok.. and I had developer mode on. hahaha

It was just better in vista..

The lack of a real mail reader in windows 7 is annoying. Sure I can drag myself to get office live crap or those other crapy live aka cloud apps but i hate those. just sayin LOL

Games for windows live.. Why in the world do i need this? I hate having to make an account just to saves games. I don't do any of that x-box stuff. I don't own an x-box.. geeeeeez

plus.. it won't let me use cheats. I play single player.. so if i want to replay a game again with a cheat on.. just let me and don't act lime my mom is there kicking me to the desk top for cheating in a game geeeeez. :P

Why doesn't server 2008r2 have disc burning rights on by default? I mean who doesn't back up crap. the trial one doesn't.

IE when I open up something in IE via link or a new tab. I want the dang thing open within the current IE not a brand new one. I think I forgot the option for this. hahah

I hate it when apps or games decide for me that i want an update before playing the game. and their servers are slow as fox renewing one of my favorite shows. Took 3 years for family guy.. anyways.. yeah..

When using 64 bit windows . Sometimes the vendor just made a driver and it's not signed. Yes , windows I know this and if you don't like it. I will get the BSOD. I can handle it.. just install the driver already. LOL

I miss the old task bar. I could care less about the mac-like icon look. I know programs by names not the many icons it uses . I'm slowly getting used to it .

There should be a no webcam option when playing some games. I'm in single player mode . Why in the farkle do I want the webcam on? I wish windows had that option. geeeeeeeez

Even though I get annoyed.. I've been a windows user since version 1.0 and a dos user since 2.2 .. er... Ibm dos since 3.3

I will try linux again.. when I have money for parts on another pc. that minty linux looks nice.

I forgot how annoying the network connections are.

Xp and windows 2000 were so much easier.

Now they went and added "home network" add that and server won't see the dang pc's until you mess with it for a day and a half. ugh

I'm on a .. home or business network.. It needs to have a apply button in that menu.

If you ever have a power outtage or just plain reboot after the updates.. Sometimes windows wants to put you on the business network. and then you have issues.. lol

Drive mapping is a chore now as well.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

The price...! Yes folks. I'm cheap in addition to shallow...

Punkid said:

@g4mer

the one in win 7 ,well first off it looks better :P...and its been very functional for me....there is nothing i come across and say : 'damn i cant do that'....im satisfied as far as it does the job....and u said UAC is annoying and u also said it can be disabled, well thats the beauty of windows, u can bend it to your liking

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Windows 7 is the best OS that Microsoft has put out. My complaints are relatively minor:

1. Boot up time.

2. Booting out of sleep mode - takes as much time as doing a cold boot. Plus, the OS won't recognize my two CD drives when coming out of boot mode.

3. For some inexplicable reason, I'm now unable to view video file icons in thumbnail view. This is a well known bug. There are a few fixes that work for some users, but not others. I'm one of those where regardless of what I do, nothing works. Very annoying.

I disagree that Windows 7 is a resource hog. I find it to be extremely efficient, especially in its use with RAM swapping. At idle with nothing else running, my CPU is at 0% usage and 1.56 GB RAM usage - which was well advertised by MS that you need a minimum of 2GB of RAM to run properly. If you are using more than that, then go into msconfig and get rid of all the unnecessary start-up programs that are running in the background.

negroplasty negroplasty said:

Wait for it....

INTERNET EXPLORER is the worst piece of software to ever run on a windows machine, when compared to ANY other browser, its performance figures are a joke. The first thing I do with any fresh install of windows - Install Chrome, disable access to IE.

One would think a company that specializes in software and operating systems would be able to design a reasonable browser... Apparently not.

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

It seems that I woke up some protective sentiments toward Windows. Now let me say that I'm still primarily a Windows user, however looking forward there are things I'd like to see improved, some of which are already lagging against the competition and some others where I see a paradigm shift is taking place and Microsoft cannot afford to stay behind.

If you read my personal list of complaints, a few depend completely on the OS like wake from standby. You can have Windows taking as much as 30 seconds to become operational while Macs can become usable in about 2 seconds on the same hardware.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

IOn the other hand my complaints regarding third party software... My point is if Microsoft really wants to improve the user experience they will have design more rigorous guidelines for developers and limit access to OS level settings by default. Crappy software will always by crappy software but what you want to prevent is having a majority of software trying to install its own unnecessary background service, its own updater, or even worse its own toolbar as default and the OS letting that be.
Well, I think that M$ has made good faith attempt to do this with "M$ Security Essentials". Which on its own, is good enough to keep at least the Security software developers honest. On the other hand, if M$ adopted policies as rigid as you suggest, they would probably find themselves involved in more anti-trust lawsuits then they already are. Not to mention a deluge of very unfavorable comparisons to the draconian, isolationist policies of Steve Jobs and Apple.

Although the toolbar issue is often times directly connected to ad revenue subsidies for freeware

I have two major bugbears with windows, and although my experience comes from a 5 year old (and now very slow) XP laptop, I think they're valid across the windows universe:

1. Deciding which window is selected/appears on your screen for you: imagine you're working on something and either something pops up or (my case, due to the slow machine!) something you'd called 3 minutes previously finally loads - windows moves screen to other app and you're left typing/controlling in new window

2. no clear explanation of where your resource are going: windows task manager loads almost instantly (even in major go-slow) but it gives rubbish information. i like to use processexp but it takes an age to load and sometimes even then you can't see where all your resources are going or why your comp is so slowwww!

bugejakurt said:

Windows 7:

-Windows 2000 had a cleaner, faster, and more responsive look and feel.

-The Network and Sharing Center should be improved.

-Some tools such as the Windows Sheduler are not so easy to use, and the Quick Shedule is just not so helpful neither.

-More features and tools should be added.

-Boot-up and boot-down are too slow although they have been improved.

bugejakurt said:

I think IE 9 will be a major breakthrough for the history of browsers.

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

Microsoft really should have an application maintenance/update API so programs can update all via a single interface. That would cut the rubbish out and streamline updaters and update check schedules and reboots!

The other major pain in the backside is the lack of real multitasking. Sure it is multitasking under the hood but try doing multiple things in practice. Outlook, Explorer, Word, Windows Update etc all steal focus. They really need to just get rid of that from the API altogether. Let the user choose when to context switch so we can do real multitasking.

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

bugejakurt said:

I think IE 9 will be a major breakthrough for the history of browsers.

Thanks for the input troll

fwilliams said:

I do not like that Windows 7 forgets the path when installing software.

Have to install additional software to run X Window programs (ie java -jar)

Installing HP Printers drivers on Windows 7 64 bit is a pain.

Installing HP Printers on Ubuntu was effortless.

Windows 7 needs to multi task better, like Ubuntu.

Windows 7 is slow, needs to be less bloated. I get better performance with Ubuntu on significantly less hardware.

Some programs do not install as easy on Ubuntu as Windows 7.

Debian needs better driver support. It would not recognize my network properly. Ubuntu had no problems with the network.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

What I dislike most is the reboots. I don't like them and don't want to be forced to do them.

I don't know why people are having problems with sleep. It may be a device issue. Switching my Vista x64 PC out of sleep is very quick. Only thing that sometimes takes a little time is the network connection (it's inconsistent in the time it takes). Having tried Linux recently (openSUSE), it got out of sleep more slowly.

BTW, the sleep mode idea to save to disk is great. No need to hibernate, you get out of sleep instantaneously normally, but if power was lost you can still get back to the state you were (even if more slowly).

just linux people who think open source software is really free.

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

Julio; It takes 7 seconds for my Windows 7 x64 system to get out of S3 standby mode...

Are we allowed to change our "what's the most annoying thing about Windows" posts?

This is by FAR it; http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=256095

The "NVIDIA Display Driver Service"

This is something that drives me almost mad, I'm sure the intentions where good but it just does not work

It is a driver helper service, that when you turn off a monitor for example, it disables this port

So if you where running in "dualview" mode with two monitors it changes to single view mode

I guess so n00bs don't run into the problem where the desktop is stretched but only one of the views visible

Well problem is when you turn it back on dualview is not enabled, and many many times if you turn off both monitors you wont get any signal at all when turning them back on

In Windows XP and XP x64 it is as simple as disabling the service, but in Vista and Win7 it is not, as far as I have been able to test, possible to disable this "feature"

It's also great on servers, if you have a KVM switch, you view server1, then switch to server2, now server1 looses it's DVI signal so it turns off the port, now you switch back to this server and it does not enable it's port...

Don't believe me? A company is making a HARDWARE device to solve this SOFTWARE bug, they are also the manufacturer of a KVM switch, just amazing!

And I do think this is Microsofts problem, afterall they have the WHQL testing lab that certifies that drivers are good and working as intended

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I think IE 9 will be a major breakthrough for the history of browsers.
Thanks for the input troll
That's not nice, or even fair, shame on you. Personally I would have said, "thanks for the input windbag". Much kinder, less confrontational, but yet still firm.

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

@Per, your "Windows 7 x64 system" is that a desktop? Half of my problems above are gone when I'm using my desktop that uses a quad-core CPU, loads of RAM, SSD, etc. etc... but when running on a laptop wake from standby becomes way more relevant. As I said, on a Macbook Pro it can take anything from 5 seconds to up to 30 seconds to wake Windows 7 up, whereas OS X will do it in 2-3 seconds every time.

But back to my original point, this wasn't meant to be a "let's flame Windows" discussion but rather what still needs to be fixed in the next-generation Windows for it to prevail against rising competitors.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Is it possible that Apple, (at least partly), planned it that way?

OK, here I think you're just being modest.

OK before i go into my tirade on windows and the people who use it, lets be clear on one point: windows xp is the best commercially available operating system. 95 in second, win7 third.

now almost every complaint i have seen on this open forum can be solved by simple maintenance and adjusting settings within windows itself.

don't like constant reminders to update your system? well you have three options here, 1) set windows update to not display update alerts, 2) set windows update to automatically down load these updates and install them when your PC shuts down, 3) or you can complete turn off windows update and tell it not to alert you and it will never bother you again, at the cost of no new updates.

security giving you hell every time you try to open new and sometimes old programs? easy fix, if your in vista, which you most likely are if you have this problem, is to open "help and support" from the start menu then search either "User Account Control" or "uac". you should get a result that leads to the section of the control panel that will allow you to turn UAC off. ironically it will trigger a User Account Control dialog box to try to deter you from turning UAC off.

computer running slow/stating slow/using excessive amounts of ram? if this is the case and your running any version of vista then your only option is to buy more ram, or install a better version of windows (95 would be a definite improvement). if either option is unavailable, then your SOL. for all other versions of windows periodically defraging your hard drives, cleaning out your registry with any freeware registry cleaner, and just plain deleting the unused files on your PC will do a world of good. the ram issue all depends on you and your particular install. running vista or win7 on a gigabyte of ram is just plain dumb.

the 2007 laptop i am writing this on:

core 2 duo 2.0ghz, 4gb(3.125 available to windows),

500gb hdd, win XP x86.

this rig boots with only 147mb(-/+) of ram used, in 35 seconds

windows is the only operating system for everyday and power user usage. for every thing else, Linux is god.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Great rant, Guest in post 45...! Although I didn't see mention of a good program to manage start ups. Or giving the old turd a good "msconfigging".

BTW, some of us aren't blindly irresponsible. Why, believe it or not, I myself have been know to utilize "CCleaner" from time to time.

good start ups? well keeping the registry free of unused entries and the hdd defraged was my answer to slow start ups. i guess you could use msconfig, but a good old fashioned "vanilla" boot with a clean registry will be more than fast enough for any normal user.

i just want to say that any ***** who tries to access the start menu while explorer is still loading deserves a BSOD every time he tries it.

also any program that allows you manually edit the NTLDR if your brave enough to do it should be shown some respect.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

People really like to complain about windows, I never really had any problems with it that I couldn't solve within 5 minutes, longer than that and its time to reformat which in itself is no big deal. If you don't like using a computer because of the software on it, become a programmer and fix it, if not live with it because a lot of it does make sense in a way. Just because you think something should be done in a different way doesn't mean its the way it should be. I'd look at windows and think Microsoft did a rather good job, the sheer vast consumer base. the unlimited supply of programs, the customization itself that allows the user to make their OS their own. Complain if you want, its not going to change anything. Finally to all those people complaining about windows being a resource hog, yes if your using a computer with less than 2GB of ram you are going to have a problem so why not upgrade your 8 year old computer thats a ticking time bomb of failure and realize that windows actually runs well on current hardware...

PS. This has gotta be the fumiest read ever, I was going to leave this out but felt other Techspot members will feel the same way, the number of people giving their "two cents" about the most absurd problems. LAWL...

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

So does this mean you're right and I'm wrong, or you just weren't finished raving? In which case you should thank me for helping you to get it all out of your system.

nazartp said:

Julio said:

Julio, I honestly don't know what you are talking about regarding the wake-up time from sleep. My son has an HP laptop (Core i3) and it wakes-up instantly (2-3 seconds). My wife has Acer One netbook and it also wakes up within 2-3 seconds. Even when it goes into hybernation mode it takes less than 10 seconds to be fully functional upon wake-up. Both machines are hardly powerhouses.

I agree with your gripe about a lot of third party software insisting on installing its own update checkers and insisting on loading those on start-up. I get that you can disable the functionality, but it's an extra hassle that I don't want to go through. I really think that Windows needs some centralized install/update service.

Otherwise, I am pretty happy with Windows 7, especially compared to XP.

tonylukac said:

Can't find you now to give the @ sign, but your reply about disabling shadow copy with system restore points: The idea of shadow copy in Vista and later is that when restoring, all files are restored to the same state they were in at that restore point. However, it didn't work for me at home or where I work when the application of KB951847 failed. At home I had to restore from backup and at work he rebuilt the computer from scratch after the incident.