Valve sets February 9 release date for Portal 2

By on August 19, 2010, 2:30 PM
Countless release dates have poured out of Gamescom in the last week, including Crysis 2, Rage, Dragon Age II, and now Portal 2 has joined the party. After delaying the title from holiday 2010 to an ambiguous 2011 release window and cancelling its E3 press event, Valve has finally secured a precise launch day for the first-person puzzler: February 9, 2011. That goes for all platforms, including PC (both Windows and OS X), Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3.

The sequel takes place hundreds of years after the original, but players will still control the same character, Chell, who was apparently in stasis for that timeframe. Awakened by one of GLaDOS' personality cores, Chell inadvertently wakes GLaDOS and thus begins the twisted journey of dodging personified turrets and escaping deathtraps. Besides polished graphics and co-op, Portal 2 features new gameplay elements including tractor beams, paint-like gels and more.

princeton princeton said:

InB4Ep3.

On another note that's the old voice actor. They replaced Richard Loyd with Stepehn Merchant.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Excellent! I have my late winter, early spring gaming lineup all ready to go then. Portal 2, Crysis 2 and Dragon Age II.

posermobile89 said:

I am so excited for this, Ive been waiting forever!

natefalk natefalk said:

I still haven't played Portal 1... Is it worth the time and/or money?

TomSEA, don't forget about "Dawn of War II: Retribution" (just announced) and "Dead Space 2".

princeton princeton said:

natefalk said:

I still haven't played Portal 1... Is it worth the time and/or money?

It was free on steam for like a week...

posermobile89 said:

natefalk said:

I still haven't played Portal 1... Is it worth the time and/or money?

It is absolutely worth the time and money (and in some cases, the frustration)!

natefalk natefalk said:

It was free on steam for like a week...

Must have missed it, that's one hellava good deal.

I'll probably give Portal a shot eventually. I have heard good things and the trailer for P2 looks good.

princeton princeton said:

natefalk said:

It was free on steam for like a week...

Must have missed it, that's one hellava good deal.

Well if you don't want to buy it I think i made an alternate account just to get an extra copy of it. If I can remember the password and name you could have it to play the game.

MaXtor MaXtor said:

Portal 1 was great... but that was a terribly lame trailer.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

It's not really a trailer. It's just gameplay footage from E3 (I think). You can find plenty more videos here, including some recent footage from Gamescom: [link]

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Well scratch that one off the xmas list, and add it to my, uh, Valentines Day list?

Eddie_42 Eddie_42 said:

nate...100% you should buy this. Amazing game. Its fun to play, graphics are fair, and the computer "GLaDOS" is freaking hilarious. The amusement factor alone is enough reason to play the game.

You can probably finish the basic game in a day, but there are lots of expert levels and hard challenges that take some creative thinking to solve.

MaXtor MaXtor said:

Matthew said:

Thanks. I actually thought it was a trailer, I'll go check out the other footage.

I agree with previous poster - Portal was great - but that is a really lame trailer/intro/whatever.