Clearwire launches pay-as-you-go 4G service

By on August 30, 2010, 4:33 PM
Clearwire has added a pay-as-you-go option for its 4G wireless broadband service. Aimed at "tech-savvy Gen Y customers" looking to avoid lengthy contracts, the Rover Stick and Rover Puck offer commitment-free access to the company's WiMAX network. Priced at $100, the "Stick" is a USB modem for one machine, and it's compatible with Windows as well as OS X. The "Puck" is a pricier $150, but provides wireless access for up to eight devices (be they computers, smartphones, a gaming console and so on).

Upon purchasing either device, you'll receive two days of service to test things out, after which it costs $5 a day, $20 per week, or $50 per month for unlimited bandwidth. It's worth noting that the devices can't connect to 3G, so you're out of luck if you wander outside of Clear's 4G coverage. The press release cites speeds of 3Mb/s to 6Mb/s on average, with bursts surpassing 10Mb/s.

If you know you'll need coverage for a while, SlashGear reports that you can buy a Rover and pay for 12 months of WiMAX upfront for $500 ($100 off) with the coupon code "Crazy."

---agissi--- ---agissi---, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Thats faster and cheaper than Comcast's internet for $40 a month. Our internet with Comcast is also utter crap, it goes out atleast 10 times a day. Sometimes 25 breaks easily. I wonder what their bandwidth regulations are.

thatguyandrew92 said:

---agissi--- said:

I can't image the cap would be great. :/ But if I had coverage I would definitely get this! I would love it so much.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

There are no bandwidth regulations. They offer unlimited transfer as far as I know.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Hmm...would be tempting except for Clearwire works for crap during online PvP, PvM shooter games.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

---agissi--- said:

From reading reviews of Clearwire over the years it seems they don't exactly have great latency since they are wireless and have some bad stories of port/application blocking, they may have changed but just be aware. I personally wouldn't do it as I just can't trust wireless companies as being my only way online.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

TomSEA said:

Ya wireless and gaming don't mix at all. On a related note I want some Nachos http://xkcd.com/654/.

gobbybobby said:

Sorry but this seems a little slow. I expected faster speeds then this.