Survey: 40m US gamers play on iOS devices, 41m on DS

By on September 13, 2010, 8:26 PM
Market research outfit Newzoo has released the highlights (PDF) of its International Gamers Survey 2010, showing that 40.1 million people in the US play games on Apple's iOS devices (iPods, iPhones and iPads). That's more than half of the 77 million mobile gaming audience in the US. Only the Nintendo DS has a larger following with 41 million gamers ages 10 and up. Both are well ahead of the PSP's 18 million.

Mind you, those aren't individual usershares or anything. There's a significant overlap between gamers of each platform. "The majority of the 160 million Americans playing computer games do so on multiple platforms depending on the time of day, social setting and mood." For instance, nearly 14 million DS and DSi users also play iPod touch games.

Region iOS DS PSP
US 40.1m 41m 18m
UK 8m 13m 4.5m
Germany 7m 10m 2.5m
France 5.5m 12.5m 4m
Netherlands 0.8m 2.8m 0.6m
Belgium 0.6m 1.5m 0.5m

One interesting note is that the number of players paying for games is significantly higher for Nintendo (67%) and Sony (66%) handhelds than the iPod touch/iPhone (45%) and iPad (32%), and that's naturally attributed to App Store freebies. However, the iPad has the largest share of players paying more than $10 a month on games (72%) compared to 38% for the iPod touch/iPhone, 53% for the DS/DSi, and 59% for the PSP.

treeski treeski said:

What constitutes a gamer in this survey though; anyone who has any device and plays any game on it for any amount of time?

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

I assume durations and so on are broken down in the full report which is blocked behind a hefty membership fee ($700/yr). However, if you want to be technical, any person who plays games for any amount of time on any device is indeed a gamer. Perhaps only a casual gamer, but a gamer nonetheless.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Are people who played solitaire with cards gamers too, or only those that play it on the computer?

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Well, iPhone and iPod touch are pretty much just toys to cram with free games and music. So yes, they are ranked quite high!

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I'd consider someone who routinely plays Solitaire a gamer. My Mom used to play Solitaire and Mah-Jong (a solitare tile game) for hours and hours each week. It was one of her primary forms of entertainment. She was as much a gamer as I am playing the "real" games like Crysis, Bioshock, Mass Effects, etc.

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

Interesting stat but I agree with some of the comments above... I play Sudoku from time to time on my iPhone, but in my mind that's not the same as playing Rock Band on the Xbox or Starcraft on the PC.

princeton princeton said:

@Matthew. I disagree. And apparantly so does aeris.

Gamers

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Live on stage...its 'the Who-lio"

Rock Band ey Julio?

I have you pegged as a drummer.:p

tengeta tengeta said:

I almost felt bad for The PSP stats until I remembered that Sony ran their own customer base out.

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

@red, heh, must be the impression from my long hair days if you ever saw a picture of me like that. But I think I'm much better at the guitar, nothing compared to those youtube kids though. That's insanity, lol.

alcarin2030 alcarin2030 said:

Simply playing a game on a phone does not make you a gamer. This article insults actual gamers.