Parallels Desktop 6 brings Windows to iPod, iPhone, iPad

By on September 14, 2010, 4:19 PM
Parallels showed off its Parallels Mobile app for the iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad at the DEMO Fall 2010 conference. The app lets users remotely access their Windows applications on their Apple mobile device(s) from anywhere, any time, and on any network. It works by letting you use Wi-Fi or 3G to access any virtual machine running on your Mac with Parallels Desktop 6.

The Parallels Mobile app is free on the iTunes App Store, but you will need the desktop program to actually use it; the connection requires a login using the credentials used to register Parallels Desktop 6. In this way, Parallels is giving users incentive to buy Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac, which went on sale last week for $80. You can grab the free trial for 14 days.

With the new mobile app and MyParallels service, Apple mobile users can perform tasks that have been unavailable or limited to them for a while, such as printing, viewing Flash-based websites, as well as the many great Windows applications and games.

darkjeric said:

Funny you need Windows on an Apple-device to be able to watch Flash video. Jobs ain't gonna like this X-D

I'm dumb. What does that mean? Can I run Windows 7 on the iPad?

You know what's gonna happen. When the iPad came out, I heard someone say, "I'll wait for the tablet that runs Windows."

So... MS will have a tab that runs Windows 7, and Apple can't run OS 10, or Windows?

To some people, it's NOT a computer yet.

It just means Remote Desktop support. It already had that.

Big deal, a choppy running instance of RDP. I can run a better looking RDP connection from my Nexus One over wifi... If I use 3g and have all the animations turned on, it looks about as shitty as it does above. I haven't a clue what Flash content you intend to run, as you can definitely count video out... and anything with animations, so basically count Flash out.

Nice $80 price tag on an application that does something that's already build into Windows with an equal or higher standard of security.

Additionally, I do not see how this is front page news material.

kyosuke said:

So wait Parallels for Mac gives Windows 7 I got that, but the Mobile App gives your iPad remote access to your Mac? Or gives your iPad a windows 7 OS?

tengeta tengeta said:

By forcing them to buy it they are giving them incentive? Man, I wish I was in the blind world of Apple.

Yea, this is just some other version of teamviewer (which is free)

You will NOT be able to watch video or play any game over this because it will be choppy and slow just like any RDP Session or VNC session.. what is it with you people and false claiming bullshit lol

jobeard jobeard, TS Ambassador, said:

you don't

jobeard jobeard, TS Ambassador, said:

I'm dumb. What does that mean? Can I run Windows 7 on the iPad?

To some people, it's NOT a computer yet.

background:

Parallels Desktop(PD) 'normally on a Mac', gives the Mac user a Virtual Machine in which Windows may run. Windows Apps installed into the PD run just as a PC user would expect.

Using the Mac Dock (ie: Taskbar like feature), the user can switch back and forth and

even copy/paste across the two concurrently running systems.

Usage of PD in the iPad is interesting