Activision wants to sell you game cutscenes for $20 to $30

By on September 16, 2010, 4:23 PM
Sharpen your pitchforks. Speaking at a conference in California this week, Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick revealed long-term plans to sell video game cutscenes as full movies. Kotick believes titles such as StarCraft II have such impressive in-game cinematics that they could be edited together as one lengthy video and digitally distributed to fans for, get this, $20 to $30. That's about half the cost of a new game and more than DVD or Blu-ray films.

What's more, after downloading the video directly, an "extremely high percentage" of viewers would want to watch it again in a theatrical release, according to Kotick. Such a model would be superior to traditional film studios and would top box office records, he said. The executive didn't share anything too specific, but he did say that Activision is likely to give this a shot sometime within the next five years -- whether partnered or alone.

Chazz said:

That guy never ceases to amaze me. It's such a shame that blizzard teamed up with them.

seronx said:

Go for it Kotick YOU ROCK!!!

Prosercunus said:

List of worst people ever.

1. Hitler

2. Stalin

3. Kotick

4. Osama Bin Laden

TekGun TekGun said:

How about giving these away as a download to all the loyal fans who are already overcharged for the game, instead of trying to milk your customer base dry.

Why would they attempt to do this?? The video will just get uploaded to youtube or better yet strengthen people to download via a torrent. For $20 I would....

Why can't those corporate people understand, their target demographic are people in middle school, high school, and college. They don't have the money and certainly know how to get digital media for FREE!!!

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Uh, you're wrong guest. First of all, I'm an avid game player and I don't remotely fall into the middle school, high school and college group.

Secondly, it seems that group has plenty of money for the hippest (expensive) clothing, MP3 players, iPads, cars, beer, etc. BUT...they also know how to steal games, movies and music on the Internet with complete anonymity.

So try not to insult us all and claim you're too broke to buy games and you're FORCED to steal them.

As far as selling game cut-scenes as a movie, I have my doubts. They're not meant to be spliced together as a hotel, but are deliberately designed to enhance gameplay. Not sure how that will pan out.

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

Tom falls into the "young at heart" demographic.

seronx said:

I'll noly buy if they are 1080p with 24bit audio and allows for 7.2 and 16.2 audio setups

treeski treeski said:

The greediness of Activision never ceases. This is just another reason that I'm glad I haven't bought SCII or CoD:MW2 (or any of the other games in their respective franchises actually).

Oh how I wish the Diablo franchise was produced by any other company...

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

I freaking hate you Bobby Kotick.

what ever they are smoking, i want some, like right freaking now!

Bobby should really understand that there is a line, and it's a thick line, between a resourcefully creative businessman and a disgustingly cheap jerk.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

So what does this mean? Is Activision going to eliminate all cut-scenes from new games and make us buy separate content in-order to get a full story? Or are they just going to take already made cut-scenes from games and expand upon them for fans? If this is going to be the former I will likely stop buying anything Activision related. If it's the latter it depends what they offer in extra content that actually makes purchasing this worth it. But I highly doubt an "extremely high percentage" of users wants to pay a third time to see a game in theaters.

From my understanding it was Vivendi the owner of Blizzard who bought Activision to merge the respected game divisions to form a new company (Activison-Blizzard) and have majority stake. So I doubt Blizzard really had much say in the matter.

ahahaha looks like activision is already crackin that whip on blizzards art team, get your resume's ready they'll be hiring.

edison5do said:

Nice.!! I would like the metal gear all games cut scenes.!!!

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Nothing really new here... Probably had a "brainstorm" when he was lighting his Cuban cigar with a $50 bill and saw a commercial for the Halo Reach movie - basically game cinematics, fleshed out into an entire movie title, from what I can gather. Interesting concept, could be a nice tie-in, but the price point is so ridiculously out of touch with the reality of the economy and target market, it's a bit laughable. Gamers will go out and buy a new game, not drop it on crap they can watch if they play again.

Now, make it something like a $5 to $10 bonus content thing if you own the game, or included in the Collector's Edition of the game, something like that... Then we might be on a better track. But, to just buy it outright without owning the game, it should be priced (at the worst) identical to a movie - not a penny more.

princeton princeton said:

There's no such thing as 16.2 or even 7.2. It's 7.1 and 16.2 is barely close to any existing setup, closest to 10.2

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

$5 to $10 maybe, but $20 to $30 is a bit much.

hellokitty[hk] hellokitty[hk], I'm a TechSpot Evangelist, said:

F**k you.

I can say that right?

Zilliak said:

This is why i will not buy games from activision

anguis said:

you mean the cutscenes that half the time i would rather just SKIP to get on with the game? those cutscenes?

seronx said:

[link]

[link]

16 speakers and 2 subwoofer is not consumer yet

mrtraver said:

What is he smoking, and why isn't he sharing?

princeton princeton said:

seronx said:

[link]

[link]

16 speakers and 2 subwoofer is not consumer yet

Do you have any idea how uncommon those types of configurations are. If 16.2 isn't for consumers why would they bother supporting it. Your arguments don't have any foundation or reason.

Alright, this is actually a serious question: Is this article a joke? I'm being serious here, please tell me it is.

MrAnderson said:

20-30 bucks with 5 years of inflation maybe. But what is he thinking? Maybe someone missunderstood him. Maybe they can make new footage to bring the cutscenes togther as a full movie and charge DVD prices for a release with extras... maybe I would pay for that... maybe.

HaMsTeYr HaMsTeYr said:

I fail to see whats stopping me from firing up fraps and recording the cutscenes myself. Thats already what i do anyway, for cutscenes that i like. Others are just... skippable.

Still, its a joke right? I mean people CAN'T seriously be considering this with full intent... right? I hope its like a new april fools in september i know naught of.

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

i don't welcome this idea, i'm not a kid & can afford my entertainment & i'm a really big fan of Blizzard minus the Activision part.

this idea could work ONLY if people would buy it (the idea i mean here)... if they plan to add more content & make it a whole movie, then we will have rare games based movies that are really great for once, yet if we already purchase a game with same or 'almost' same content, it will be hard to put some more money in it & even for more than normal DVD/Blu-ray price.

I would consider VOD services, will cost less to produce & give even those who doesn't own the game the possibility to have a go, while i meet most of those who said would be great 'free' addon to those who paid the games (pre-order bonus - why not!) ...

but in the end, whether Mr Sir Senior kotick is right or wrong, it will depend on the us, the customers to show this when such products are released, if you don't like the idea ... just don't buy!

cheers!

just saw WoW: Season 1 is coming

What am I missing here? Is this saying that the only way to see the in-game cutscenes is to pay for them? Or do you get the cutscenes and then buy them seperately as a movie? If it's the first situation then i see why people are mad. If it's the second, then just don't buy it, what's the big deal? Someone please clarify, i must be retarded or something.

Zilpha Zilpha said:

I don't know if people will bother with them. Square tried something similiar, and those actually WERE full-length movies. Granted, the writing was horrible, but it does prove that it takes more than pretty cinematics to make it in the movie industry.

They will have issues with that price tag, especially if it's just cut scenes ripped out of games.

treetops treetops said:

Blizzard has always had top notch cinematics. I would love to see them a full 2 hour or so movie made by blizzard. but a movie made by activition or any other gaming company would be a failure.

PaulWuzHere PaulWuzHere said:

Anybody remember Shenmue?

In Japan they took all the cut scenes and made a movie out of it. Fans of the game loved it, BUT! Shenmue 2 came with the DVD...

Good idea, horrible price point and its already been done.

Part A - would someone buy cut scene movie form a game maybe, but were probably talking DRM laden download only locked to one pc... would I buy a full length 20 dvd / blue-ray, maybe.

Part B - Theatrical release that would topple Hollywood..... HAHAHAHAHA. Game based moves tend to do poorly in theaters. Japanese Anime theatricality released do poorly, even if distributed by Disney no less. I see no way of this happening, the "gamer" has not been able to get a game related movie to be "big".

It's simple, vote with your wallets, If you feel activision is in the wrong, boycott them don't buy or pirate there games.

blizzard's development is completely independent of activision.

and infinity ward's leaders broke off from activision a while ago.

stop boycotting for blind reasons and get those games plox :]

Emin3nce said:

Despite the fact that 95% of the "fanbase" are probably just going to pirate it anyway, kind of makes charging for it a moot point.

This is a ridiculous idea. Come on you seriously think cutting the scenes out adding a little drama with music is going to be a hit? Wait.. it already has with the creative minds who POST their own little movies on YOUTUBE. Think that it would be a rip off, already bad enough that Blizzard charges $15.00 a month to up keep their servers, and yes their expensive bad ***** headquarters. Oh well, I do agree that it should be available as an in game download for the "loyal" fan to enjoy, that would be pretty sweet.

Just a little rant from a nobody. Please enjoy!

en0nym0us en0nym0us said:

7.2 is the same as 7.1 but with another sub woofer. There are some movies out there that are encoded in true 7.1 which can be matrixed to 7.2 easily. Even the true 5.1 audio can be matrixed to 7.2 and is done very well. As for 16.2, I believe is the same as 7.1 but uses more speakers to fill the area. That's what movie theaters and imax theaters do. I don't think there are any titles encoded in true 16.2 audio. If there is... it would be for imax films.

EDO219 said:

hah ... I will never pay extra money for a video game cut scene. With that in mind, the standard version of a game will be reviewed quite harshly for not employing this feature common to even the earliest of games.

If Activision desires poor reviews for otherwise good games, then more power to them. :3