Microsoft Security Essentials now free for small businesses

By on October 7, 2010, 10:52 AM
As announced last month, Microsoft has now changed its licensing terms for Microsoft Security Essentials, making it available for small businesses on up to 10 PCs. That means small business owners that operate outside of the home will be able to download and install Microsoft Security Essentials legally and for free to protect their computers from malware.

Free antivirus software for home users has been around for a long time, but most free products include similar restrictions to the ones MSE had: using them on corporate desktops is not allowed, unless you pay. Microsoft claims that enterprise security software is too expensive, difficult to set up and maintain for these organizations, hence its decision to expand the reach of MSE beyond the home. For companies that operate a small business with more than 10 PCs, Microsoft still recommends using its Forefront line of security products.

In just one year on the market, MSE is being used by more than 30 million users. The suite has won a lot of praise since its introduction, mainly because it is unobtrusive yet still effective. Do you use MSE, and if not, what do you use?

Vipre antivirus is superior to most every antivirus i have tried.

captainawesome captainawesome said:

Avira antivir - using it for 3 years and for 3 years been virus free. Stuck the nastiest flash drives into my PC in that time and still safe!

albertjkruger said:

Used in the past: Norton (resource-hungry)

Avast! Free (Doesn't do scheduled scans and pauses the scanning as soon

as finds malware, waiting for you to tell it what to do)

Now using: Microsoft Security Essentials (takes a bit too long to do a full scan, but otherwise it's a

great product!)

bugejakurt said:

I use MSE its great and remains silent!

treeski treeski said:

bugejakurt said:

I use MSE its great and remains silent!

this

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

albertjkruger said:

Used in the past: Norton (resource-hungry)

Avast! Free (Doesn't do scheduled scans and pauses the scanning as soon

as finds malware, waiting for you to tell it what to do)

great product!)

Avast! 5 can scan every time your computer goes to screensaver mode.

DSP8000 DSP8000 said:

Good on them. With the latest release of the Windows Live Essentials Suite and Microsoft Security Essentials available to small businesses, this will be huge benefit to any user of Windows. Looks like they really have listened this time. I recommend MSE to any of my clients an so far I have been receiving only positive feedback. I have used it from the early days of the beta 1 and to be honest it has come a long way from then. Very usable AV solution that does what it promises.

Regards,

Ivan K.

Andy Conroy said:

I've used Panda AV for about 5 years but got fed up with annual price hikes and the 2010 version was unstable on all 3 of my computers. I switched to MSE 3 months ago and have been very pleased. All 3 machines are quicker especially on browsing. Well done Microsoft.

captainawesome captainawesome said:

panda is horrible. tried it and my PC started struggling. And it missed something which Avira picked up after i installed that.

B00kWyrm B00kWyrm, TechSpot Paladin, said:

[link]

Two Comments:

• Low rate of false positives, very user friendly, light on resources, clean interface
  • Detection rates slightly lower than AntiVir, slow at scanning and removing malware

For now, for home use, I think I will stay with Avira.

Nice to see they are offering the option for small business though!

Avira - 353.43 ? /year :(