Crysis 2 multiplayer beta invites going out, Xbox 360 only

By on October 14, 2010, 8:59 AM
The much-anticipated Crysis 2 might not be arriving in time for the holidays, but the folks over at Crytek have just started sending out invitations for the closed multiplayer beta to make the wait less agonizing for fans. Back in June, EA said the first round of invitations would be offered to people who signed up at the game's community site. There are no details on exactly what will be in the beta or when it will be launching, though Crytek has confirmed that it'll be exclusive to Xbox 360 players "this time around" and an Xbox Live gold account will be required.

We are assuming that means PC and PS3 owners will get their chance to play the beta sometime before the game launches, though for now no official announcement has been made on that front.

This was one of the most anticipated games of 2010, and now 2011, after it was delayed from autumn this year to March of the next. Crytek has promised to raise the bar for first-person shooters with impressive visuals courtesy of the company’s CryEngine 3, support for stereoscopic 3D, and a compelling story. If gameplay footage shared by the developer and short demos at past expos are anything to go by, Crysis 2 may very well be worth the wait.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I CANNOT WAIT!!

First was epic, I just hope they don't ruin it with gimmicky Console bits.

Xbox 360 only ......I think they already have.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Xbox 360 only ......I think they already have.

Na, I don't care for the console ports, Crytek are already on record saying the PC version is the primary concern and that it will be "better".

I just hope they don't do anything stupid such as CoD:MW2 did when it was ported to PC (Note multiplayer didn't have dedicated servers and was kinda crap etc...)

Or limit the graphics of the PC version just so it doesn't over shadow the console ports.

mccartercar said:

Closed testing for xbox only makes sense right now as I'm sure they have got all this brand new hardware set up to run x360 clients and have only done internal testing. Whereas with PC the hardware has already been configured and in use for some time now.

Chazz said:

I was kinda disappointed that the invite they sent me said 360 only, but I guess it's better than nothing. Here's hoping they'll release the PC beta shortly after.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

This trend towards no DLC for PC's (yesterday's Bioshock 2 article) and beta testing on console's only is sure making me nervous.

All these developer's keep talking about how the PC is still a viable and important to their game releases, but if this keeps up, I'm not so sure.

The X-Box 360 fragheads will think they get an advantage in multiplayer but as it has been documented before and will be proven, PC Gamers will crush them as usual.

Are there hard facts of how much does it cost to develop the same game for the PC compare to consoles?

Johny47 said:

This beta should be on all platforms or exclusive to PC. I don't think Crytek would lie about the PC version being the best so why not show it and 'promote' it even more?

I'm looking forward to seeing the Cry Engine 3 beast in all it's glory on PC but I'm honestly just... hoping that they don't ruin this game because of the setting(concrete Jungle's just not as nice as a tropical jungle =/) and mostly the multiplayer because so far it just looks like a much better looking modern warfare.

gobbybobby said:

Played Xbox and PC version at eurogamer, PC version was boaderline unplayable, buggy and horrible. 360 version was actully better

mccartercar said:

gobbybobby said:

Not surprising as Crytek have been quoted at saying cryengine 3 was built for consoles.

Or perhaps M$ has paid them well enough to let the xbox version overshadow the pc version.

Wasn't the guy of crytek the ones than said than they wouldnt develop again for pc because of the huge piracy?

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

too bad, if i have to wait to try it & give feedback, well i won't buy the game unless a demo comes out on PC or PS3 & i can compare them ...PC version leads my choice for now as i'll make my début on FPS on PS3 with KZ3

cheers!

Perhaps PC only fools should get a life.

Reach looks better than many PC titles hands down.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Perhaps PC only fools should get a life.

Reach looks better than many PC titles hands down.

haha! guests Like these make me laugh, so nieve

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

Makes me laugh too - and then I start to feel sorry. Reach is nowhere near even many older games when maxed out on a PC.

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

LNCPapa said:

And even when you take graphics aside, there are many more games that eclipse Reach.

"Perhaps PC only fools should get a life.

Reach looks better than many PC titles hands down."

this troll is just another tool and I believe he's high on something. takes a tough guy wannabe poser to tell people that they are fools and get a life.

gobbybobby said:

Perhaps PC only fools should get a life.

Reach looks better than many PC titles hands down.

Lol. thats pretty fail. I (A big halo fan) would say Unreal 3 (PC) looked better than reach, and thats 3 year old.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Well as long as they come out with a beta for the PC so we can evaluate its overall performance and have enough time to make appropriate changes I'm okay with this. But if they just release a beta right before its release for marketing purposes with no intentions to fix problems I'll be pretty disappointed.

Perhaps PC only fools should get a life.

Reach looks better than many PC titles hands down.

Eh no...as a Halo fan whos been playing Reach I can easily tell you that older PC games out perform Reach graphics wise. Pretty much every properly optimized PC game will out perform any console game.

mrwhatever said:

got my "invite" already, i was on the forum this morning only to know those "invites" are to see if you are interest, but you are not actually in the closed test .......

so i dont know if i will have my key :S

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Perhaps PC only fools should get a life.

Reach looks better than many PC titles hands down.

You sad, sad little soul.

pretzelwagon said:

Perhaps PC only fools should get a life.

Reach looks better than many PC titles hands down.

No one said anything about "PC only." I play games avidly on my PC, 360, PS3, and varying mobile consoles. But given the choice, I will take a more accurate, more intuitive interface (keyboard and mouse) over a dual-joystick controller for shooters any day. Some hack and slash are superior with a controller, but you can always get a PC 360 controller for that. Given the option, most games I purchase are on the PC because it's simply more powerful and more fun to play, and gives me K+B or controller options. Not to mention, the Xbox 360 has a graphics card that was developed in 2004. I can have the latest and greatest in my PC.

And as a hardcore halo fan (reason I bought my 360), I love the games. But they don't touch any huge title on the PC that's come out in the last 4-5 years. . . And Reach in many ways is more sluggish that Halo 3.

In conclusion: Just because you haven't made it a priority -- monetary or otherwise -- to build a gaming PC and realize that the gaming experience is amazing and still way ahead of consoles, doesn't mean your system is better. Ignorance may be bliss, but if you choose to stay ignorant, don't pretend you're not.

got a beta code today, just downloading it now but it is 1.5 gb so i will have to wait a while. pretty excited to see what they could squeeze out of the 'ol xbox. I just ordered a gaming pc from memory express tho so I will be getting crysis on pc :)

T3x said:

I have no doubt that this game will be very solid but they need to be careful not to upset the PC gamers. That being said I don't mind this so much simply because I have faith in the final product, and it makes since to test it out on the 360 as they pretty much have it down for the pc, but it would be nice to play the beta. Game looks awesome.