China to crackdown on counterfeit software, movies

By on October 20, 2010, 5:20 PM
It seems China's fed up with being known as the world's largest peddler of bootleg merchandise. Hoping to clean up its image, the country has launched an initiative to thwart the rampant sale of phony products. During a State Council meeting, Chinese officials outlined a "campaign to fight intellectual property rights infringement and the manufacture and sale of counterfeit goods."

Expected to start at the end of this month, the six-month-long campaign will target pirated software, movies, publications, designs, and other copyright violations. China vows to "mete out stern punishment to business involved in the import and export of such goods," and to set positive example, Chinese government agencies have been ordered to use only authorized, legitimate software.

China's counterfeit industry employs millions of people on the production, distribution and retail levels -- a number that won't be easy to dent according to Christian Murck of the American Chamber of Commerce in China. Murck notes that piracy is a globalized industry and "there are typically multiple parties involved, so if you close down one piece, you don't necessarily disrupt the chain."

China has attempted to crackdown on pirated sales in the past, albeit with limited success. The country restricts consumers' access to foreign movies, often forcing them to seek illegal sources. Murck believes it might help if that policy was relaxed. He adds that both penalties and the odds of being caught infringing intellectual property rights are still too low to deter most people.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

This is a lost cause. I think this is nothing more than an attempt by China to pacify western media and software distributors who are screaming foul - and have been for years. I know several co-workers who routinely travel to China as a part of business. They describe to me huge markets that are the size of several city blocks filled with nothing but vendors selling pirated movies, music and software. And these markets are literally in every city, village and town they visit.

One guy told me after returning from Shanghai that from the thousands of street vendors selling this type of media, he felt that probably 5% or less were legitimate copies.

Seriously - how are you going to make a dent in something that entrenched?

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Seriously - how are you going to make a dent in something that entrenched?

I cringe to think how China might answer that question Tom.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I cringe to think how China might answer that question Tom.

The old Red Guard of China would probably invite them to peddle their wares in Tiananmen square, and give a "military parade", in their honor.

JMMD JMMD, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

In other news, American officials are going to crack down on people eating fatty foods.

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

You mean to tell me my versions of "Avatal", "Ilonman 2" and my "Gree" season 1 DVDs aren't authentic?

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I suspect you think that just because I made a derogatory comment about China's government that somehow insinuates that America's government is not intrusive. Quite the contrary JMMD, I posted on TS two years ago that i thought the "cholesterol id card" was coming.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I would not be surprised if all these factories making iPads and phones have an extra assembly line for making the identical item, sans logo, for internal sales on the side.

But I guess when one day China is actually making IP of its own they'll get bit in the ass.

PanicX PanicX, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

Such abuses have caused businesses to lose billions at the expense of piracy, while consumers have been put at risk by unknowingly using shoddy counterfeit goods, Holder said.

I have a hard time seeing how a communist country like China would give a damn about the profits of companies in capitalist countries like the USA.

Pushing the political point from outside seems like a harder line then assisting China's movie producers to put pressure on the government. You'd think they'd learn this lesson already with the way they've got other countries to reform, ie. Sweden, Canada.

fish4specs said:

It's China. Do you really believe that the government isn't involved. It wouldn't happen on this scale without at least the tacit approval of the govt. Now if we can get them and iran to stop counterfeiting us currency.

JMMD JMMD, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Actually, it was just a joke about how hard it will be to combat the problem. Wasn't directed at your comment at all.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Ahh, China... With the current population at 1.3 billion people, I find this as much of a waste of time as me trying to teach differential equations to my dog.

(Don't ask if I have actually tried that.)

aj_the_kidd said:

I guess its better than doing nothing, but not by much. Its admirable and something does need to be done, but it kinda reminds me of the war on drugs by the US government, all it really did was force the drug dealers to come up with smarter ways to distribute their products. that being said a difference was made

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

They already have! Well, in a very limited sort of way. And I'm not sure if it's just in PA. All restaurants must now publish the calorie content of every item on their menu..! Well, it's not much of a crackdown, and it probably benefits the merchants more than the patrons, since the patrons can no longer play stupid, by claiming they had no idea how huge that garbage will make your a**.

Now, you're told right up front, how fat you'll get, and how soon you're likely to die from it..!!

This is probably similar to the approach the Chinese Government will take, tack up a couple of notices.

Beyond that, they'll probably vet the product through Hong Kong, and blame it on the lingering British influence.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

@Capt; hello

By the way, I remember reading somewhere that airlines in US (and some other countries) are going to charge 'double' rate from 'fat' passengers? (I don't remember where I read it, but I think probability is it was on BBC). So if it is true, it is a sort of 'crackdown' on fatty foods, but indirectly

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

High Alpha Departure.....

Hi Arch....

That said, the US government doesn't really have a stake in, or mandate the emerging "two seats for one big a**"", private air carrier trend.

The NTSB would however, investigate any tail strike accidents, which might occur from putting all the fat people in the back of the plane, then over rotating on take off.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

captaincranky said:

I can only imagine, how the new passenger safety manuals would illustrate the possible plane accidents, and the ways to survive them.

"If a tail strike occurs, roll the 200+ pound people over to the pilot's cabin, as if they were dices. This will keep the balance."

Hey, at least people will get to see first class.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Suggested recovery method is case of tail strike due to a "rearward center of gravity"

"Push a bit of down elevator into the yoke, if this doesn't work, and the tail down condition persists, have the fat people in back remove their seat belts, then slam on the brakes".

I'm going to be branded a "fatist" for this outburst, aren't I? Oh,well.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

captaincranky said:

I'm going to be branded a "fatist" for this aren't I? Oh,well.

"slam on the brakes"...! Lol, that was hilarious.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Although I am no expert on aviation, but I don't think 'air-brakes' works like the normal road vehicle brakes ..... the fat ones will stay where they are, unless off-course the plane at the same instance of time hits an air-pocket which causes it to nose dive for about 2000 feet.

ravisunny2 ravisunny2, TS Ambassador, said:

me trying to teach differential equations to my dog.

Perhaps, you'll have better luck with the Fibonacci series.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

This being an IT/Computer related site / forum, I'd rather suggest to invite him to solve P vs. NP as well once he is done with Fibonacci series (I hope he is not referring to retracement ); as it is very important open question which will have far reaching impact in fields like cryptography as well; plus side would be if he do come up with 'provable' solution, you'll get 1 million dollars you could spend e.g. on your next computer.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Oh dear, you missed the entire joke. Or maybe you didn't, and are making one of your own.

That said, I'll explain anyway. A "tail strike" can only occur at take off, (or landing), when too severe of a positive pitch angle, (commonly called "alpha" , causes the rear of the aircraft to contact the ground.

Commercial jetliners commonly lift off at approximately 125>>Kts, (MPH X 1.2 = Kts.).

A far rearward GC, causes excessive sensitivity in the elevators, thus causing the potential of over control when activated, as they must be, when "rotating" the aircraft.toward lift off. The too high AA (angle of attack) then causes the wing to stall, (stop "flying" , and the aircraft remains grounded, still traveling at a very high rate of speed! (Please note that in the tail "dragging" position, the main gear of the aircraft are still in contact with the ground). Accordingly, the main gear brakes would still be serviceable.

So, the application of down elevator, would tentatively cause the tail to rotate upward. the main brakes would still be working, and slamming on the ground brakes, would cause fat people without seat belts to fly to the forward part of the cabin, thereby averting a disaster, except to those individuals in the front that they landed on.

Thank you very much for attending this short discourse on very basic aerodynamics.

Are the Chinese making counterfeit jetliners? Because if they are, they should crack down on that too...! (return to topic)

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

I have to say that our Governments history isn't that great!

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

...Oh rats JMMD because I think my cholesterol card theory has real weight....I think I just inadvertently joined Cap's "fatist" regime.

I have to say that our Governments history isn't that great!

Thats what I am saying Super, its getting Orwellian out there.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Please do, the "more" the merrier...!

Thats what I am saying Super, its getting Orwellian out there.
Indeed, think of the nightmares we'd all have, if we were forced to stand in of of a "Visi-screen", and say "hail big brother", to D*** Cheyney's smirking countenance. >>> "Oh, the horror"...!

I censored that myself, so that I'd at least get the "D" into Cheyney's first name.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Ah well I was trying to make my own, and I missed --> (in the air) <== which created this confusion. But frankly having 'experienced' few air pockets one of which was pretty scary one gave me the idea .... of this air borne scenario (additionally it will be easier to pull off, if someone dares to do so and probably you can get away with it as well ).

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Ah well I was trying to make my own, and I missed --> (in the air) <== which created this confusion. But frankly having 'experienced' few air pockets one of which was pretty scary one gave me the idea .... of this air borne scenario (additionally it will easier to pull off, if it someone dares to do so and probably you can get away with it as well ).

Well sorry to report, the airborne scenario wouldn't work with a jetliner, they don't actually have dive brakes. The fat people in the back, would be pinned against the rear of the aircraft as the plane accelerated.

I suppose you could try applying the thrust reversers in a mock landing configuration, but at those speeds, if they could be applied, they would likely rip the engines off the wings. After which, s**, (which traditionally rolls downhill) indeed would, as well as the fat people, (and everybody else for that matter, (although God only knows how few nonfat people there would actually be on board these days)), when the aircraft contacted the ground in a forced dis-assembly maneuver.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Fair enough, I wonder if others in the industry will follow this double charging trend? e.g. restaurants (fat people eat more food usually) / hair dressers (they'll have to trim hair on whole lot bigger head so will take more time obviously) / taxis (need to burn more fuel to carry a fat passenger) ... you get the idea I am sure.

You know what, a funny thing happened today, we being an 'equal opportunity employer' hired a 'relatively fat engineer' recently and he was posted to work at a large housing society project, but today he got stuck in a sewerage line (read gutter) while the client's representative was over there inspecting the work progress, and the client wasn't really impressed with that so he got fired to resolve the issues 'amicably'.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

In this politically correct world, your employer should be eternally grateful that the ACLU didn't come over and file suit to make them enlarge the sewer opening, in a claim based on discrimination. "Those sewers aren't "handicapped" (read mordbidly obese) accessible, and you're in violation of the, "Americans with Disabilities Act.

This would place the situation within the "confines" (big pun) of contemporary wisdom, which reads like this, "my a** isn't too big, your chair's too small". Or in the case of women, "you need to rethink the current standards of beauty, to make BBWs the top of the beauty criterion, and not the "bottom". (Yeah, another pun).

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Hi Arch,

Cap, you would not believe (He said rhetorically) what hoops need to be jumped through when an employee says that they need accommodations for a "handicap"

A friend of my mother in law screamed "carpal tunnel" at a local talk radio station she worked at. (I think I linked you to the 'Garage logic Program' a couple of years ago Cap) It ended up costing the station tens of thousands, and they had gov inspectors in there on a regular basis to make sure they maintained their "carpal tunnelness." They were just sitting in wait for a reason to give her the hook. < a little vaudeville there.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Not only that, but I suppose that carpal tunnel syndrome, would provide a ready made excuse for not being able to type more than 2 words per minute, while at the same time precluding the radio station for taking any action about it.

Believe me, I live with people who routinely eat themselves into major overhaul status, then bask in the attention of the medical personnel which they then require.

The lastest episode is my neighbor whose a** is so big, she broke the welds on the cross braces of her now "medically necessary", power chair.

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

I'd going to act like I didn't read your comment on aviation(cuz I did, lol) and I also watch a lot of history channel as a child when "air panes" were involved(yeah, in the little kid voice.) I still like the thought of newtons third law minus the plane with the fat people in the front of the plane rather than the back. Would be nice to think I'd have a nice cushion upon impact.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Would be nice to think I'd have a nice cushion upon impact.

What if all such fat folks are 'male passengers'? Would you still want to 'crash land' on them ?

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

In a life or death situation. A life preserver has no sex.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

In a life or death situation. A life preserver has no sex.

And an erection lasting more than 4 hours has no conscience.........

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Did you...?
Do I what?

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwn !!!!!!!!!!!!

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

To keep this, on topic, let me say that, "I'm absolutely certain that the aircraft's "China", would all be destroyed on impact"!~ And an erection lasting more than 4 hours has no conscience.........

I guess that I'd have to take my chances. 80% of flights don't last longer than 4 hours. That only gives me a 20% chance to avoid you saving me then captain.

China, what about South America and the Middle East? Not many countries perform a very good job of cracking down on counterfeit trademark hand bags, clothes, Software, and Film/Music.

I would believe that 70% of Microsoft Office installations in the US are pirated software, and 90% of home with game systems have pirated versions... Most Microsoft Operating Systems in the average home have software, music, film and games that are pirated.

A large number of large grocery store parking lots have pirated music and film being sold from the trunk of a car... The cover for these illegal software, music and film sale in America grocery store parking lots & swap meets have a logo on the packaging "printed in china".

Maybe we need to check a few more containers, oops that would be more government regulations and a larger/bigger government...Maybe we need to get out house in order and not worry about China's illegal sale of counterfeit trademark items.

The greatest security concern is the estimated 11 million+ containers that enter U.S. ports every year. The volume is so vast, that only a small percentage of these containers are effectively searched. In many ports from which U.S.-bound cargo originates, there is little security oversight, maybe that is why it is possible to find "printed in China", on counterfeit trademark packaging nation wide.

JR