Windows XP no longer allowed on PCs, Windows 7 turns one

By on October 22, 2010, 6:00 PM
Today is a very important day for Microsoft: it's the first day that Windows XP can no longer be bundled on new PCs and it's also the first anniversary of the release of Windows 7. Either Microsoft planned for these dates to coincide, or we just have a big coincidence on our hands.

Due to Vista's performance issues on cheap netbooks, Microsoft had to extend the Windows XP installation deadline for its OEM partners. Back in 2008, Microsoft told OEMs that October 22, 2010 would be the last day they could sell computers that come with Windows XP.

XP was first released to retail channels on October 25, 2001. In recent years, the OS has become a thorn in Microsoft's side as the company tries to push the operating system's successors. Despite its outdated security systems and other issues related to being a nine-year old OS, many users still cling to it due to familiarity. In fact, it's still the most popular operating system in terms of market share.

In related news, Windows 7 turns one today. Despite XP's popularity, it has been growing the fastest of any operating system to date. In its first year it has already sold 240 million licenses. Microsoft hopes to push more users to it with releases that use hardware acceleration only available on Windows Vista and Windows 7. So far, these include Windows Live Essentials 2011 and Internet Explorer 9, neither of which can be installed on Windows XP.

vangrat said:

Windows is dead, long live Windows!

Lurker101 said:

It's not the familiarity XP users cling to, but the capability.

Emil said:

Lurker101 said:

It's not the familiarity XP users cling to, but the capability.

What can XP do that Vista and 7 cannot?

As a game developer side of view : Windows 7 targets 64bit systems mainly and is better in task-scheduling, which means that utilizes your new multi-core CPU much more efficient and everything will run smoother. Another feature is the new DirectX 10/11 that utilizes the new features of modern GPUs which gives you higher quality gaming experience than previous DX9 games.

Staff
Rick Rick, TechSpot Staff, said:

Lurker101 said:

It's not the familiarity XP users cling to, but the capability.

That's quite an inane sentence you've got there.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Speaking of raw capability......

Spider Solitaire is so far superior in its graphics under Win 7 than under XP, I don't know why everybody doesn't run right out and buy a copy of Windows 7, just on the strength of that alone!

Was that inane enough for all parties involved in this thread?

BMfan BMfan said:

That was perfect

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

What about minesweeper? It looks whole lot better as well !

"What can XP do that Vista and 7 cannot? "

And the other way to.

Emil said:

"What can XP do that Vista and 7 cannot? "

And the other way to.

[link]

[link]

Read and get back to me. In short, XP doesn't even do the basics anymore. It's nine years old. The basics have changed.

Lokalaskurar Lokalaskurar said:

Emil said:

What can XP do that Vista and 7 cannot?

This might be a pretty basic argument, but to put it simple: XP can run on computers commonly found in places such as central-America, west-China or pre-urban Siberia. Win 7 will be pretty crippled on that kind of computers (case in point, Windows Aero). Crippled to such a degree that there is close to zero differences between the two OS's.

Have you read the posts above?? Its obvious why people has switched from 98 to XP? Because to use full power of new hardware!

Running Windows XP on *latest hardware* gives you the same experience like running Windows 98 on computers commonly found in places such as central-America, west-China or pre-urban Siberia.

Which mind you still happens....

windows xp is an inferior OS and is terrible!!! I would take vista & windows 7 any day.

ravisunny2 ravisunny2, TS Ambassador, said:

Agreed. And you can add India to that list.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Well, that and at EOL, there were no more security patches for 98. Legend has it a copy of Windows 98, would be infected about 5 minutes after you hit the web with it, but who knows if that's true. If there's any adventurous souls out there to take on this challenge, raise your hands.

I though that this what "Windows 2000 Pro" was for, easier on older hardware, not XP or 98. Well yeah, XP too, but Windows 98 sounds kinda harsh.

64 bit is ok as far as it goes but games like Medal of Honor will only run in 32 bit

EXCellR8 EXCellR8, The Conservative, said:

how to spot an experienced PC user...

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

how to spot an experienced PC user...

I was thinking it's how to spot a "guest", but I suppose we can both chalk up a correct answer on this one.

I believe it was the "Vista" portion of the post, that led me directly to the diagnosis of diminished capacity.

Maybe you have no value in your older games but some games just work better with XP and some don't work at all on 7 (Vista is a mere memory now). You may enjoy your FPS but they only ever make most RPG's once so if you want to play it, you have to play on something thats atleast works. Case and point, Supreme Commander. Plays perfectly on XP 32-bit but has so many graphic glitches under 7 64-bit you can't see half of the time (same hardware). If Microsoft understood anything about backwards compatibilty this wouldn't be so much of a problem.

You asked what XP can do which Vista and 7 cannot.

It can run efficiently on older hardware which many of us are not ready to give up.

With the push to be "green" MykroShaft should be helping in that regard.

I'm a game programmer and without any doubt I can say that Windows 7 graphics API is pretty backward compatible, its Supreme Commander or your outdated driver that sucks. I can run older games like RedAlert2, NFS5, WarCraft III or newer ones like CoD, Burnout and ... without any glitches here on Windows 7 x64 with my ATI RadeonHD 4890.

I think I need to create a new account here, its going hot ^^

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I'm a game programmer and without any doubt I can say that Windows 7 graphics API is pretty backward compatible,y glitches here on Windows 7 x64 with my ATI RadeonHD 4890.

M$ itself seems to have a knack for backwards compatibility with their own programs. Witness the fact they claim, "Flight Simulator 2004", is Win 7 ready. I haven't tried it yet, but still, I have no reason to assume they're lying.

I have both Windows XP and 7 on my PC. I can just tell you that the capabilities and power of Windows 7 show themselves through time. It is now 1.5 years since installation of Windows 7 on my PC, and I see no bug, no crashes, no freezings during its start-up/shutdown. Windows XP is truly an outdated OS by now. On the same PC it takes 5 minutes to load and lots of non-sense bugs avoid proper productivity with it.

Long Live Windows 7!

Nima304 said:

A few people and I have just had a moment of silence for Windows XP. May it's legacy carry on.

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

Man, I feel old. I remember when XP came out, and was blown away how awesome it was compared to Windows 98. And now, I'm 9 years older...

23 is so old...

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

23 is so old...

"Ah youth, it's a pity it's wasted on the young". (Mark Twain).

I'm not ready to change my hardware to make win7 happy.

Seems to me after years of development, Vista was a bomb that didn't work out of the gate. Now Win7 seems to be updated version of Vista that works better.

WinXP is now (9) years old and how many fixes/updates have there been and still coming? How many years before Win7 works?

The question is "How long will MS allow me to run WinXP?"

freythman freythman said:

captaincranky said:

I love you.

I dual boot into Windows XP and into Windows Vista. I run Vista most of the time now, but when I installed Vista/XP as dual boot, there were some applications that I had that would not run under Vista. My motherboard died a few days ago, so had to get a new motherboard which I successfully installed over the weekend. I booted into XP fine, it gave me some messages about drivers, I installed some of the new motherboard drivers, re-registered Windows XP online and all was good. Vista on the other hand blue screens on boot, I tried a repair but still no good. There does not appear to be any way of fixing this other than a reinstall. So XP can adapt much better to hardware changes, it seems that Vista does not, this does not seem like much progress to me.

If MS is not allowing it to be bundled, then maybe they can start offering it as a free download, so some of us can upgrade.

Windows XP was at the time in regards to End User Enviroments,the best Operating systems to come out of Microsoft. Windows 7 is considered the rising child of Windows XP, for its extreme capabilites with new & advanced Hardware Acceleration Technologies, increased security features, & its ability to run smoothly on entry level h/w.

I use Windows 7, & have had years of happiness with Windows XP, so to knock it mate is just not on.

Enjoy Windows ;)

ucould2 ucould2 said:

Nima304 said:

from the web

BRAND NEW Windows XP Pro 64 Bit FULL VERSION

Price: US $109.99 (Approximately AU $112.22) and that conversion rate was the clincher for me

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm exactly the same...My win 7 hasn't had an itch since i installed it a year ago, it's obviously well made...What i'm thinking is that, microsoft might have another problem here. In two or three years time when win 8 comes along, i cant really see myself being eager to fork out £150 or however much for another OS...I mean, if 7 keeps going like this, ill run mine into the ground..just like i did with my xp, which now sits over on another HD, only to be called for MS Flight Sim 2004 and sims.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

M$ is claiming that FS 2004, is Windows 7 compatible. Is this not so?

[link]

f111 said:

Was running the win7 beta and loved it but have never got around to buying the full version, so I still have xp.

63Jax said:

although xp was my favorite i don't regret that i changed to win7. RIP XP

therickster90 said:

captaincranky said:

Speaking of raw capability......

Was that inane enough for all parties involved in this thread?

But Freecell is so much better on XP. So much faster. It's worth it to me. *serious face*

Well, on my home I use a Pc with a Athlon x4 and a radeon 5870 with win7 and on the job I use a pc with a athlon le-1640 and winxp. All I can say is win7 is good looking and I dont miss anything on winxp from win 7.

So, win7 is so...........good looking :S

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

M$ is claiming that FS 2004, is Windows 7 compatible. Is this not so?

[link]

Yeah i know, i read it in another article.

I've had it on xp for ages and seen no need to bring it over really. I suppose partly because of how hungry MSFS 2004 is on ram, and how more simple xp is as an OS.

Now and again you get the BSOD on MSFS, and it's not as scary on xp as it would be on win 7...Something like that anyway lol.

JMMD JMMD, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I still run XP on my systems. It's just nice and light compared to Vista and Windows 7. Someday I'll switch over to Windows 7 but it won't be until maybe SP2 has been released for it.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Hope Springs Eternal.....

Well, if they follow their 3 year timeline, there probably won't be a "Windows 7, SP-2", because it'll be known as, "Windows 8".

supyo said:

Windows XP will still be going strong 5 years from now. Its old and insecure but its just so familiar to people. I predict it will be another 10 years before its completely phased out. I can't believe its already 10 years old

highlander84 said:

I still run XP And to tell you the truth I probably will for several years to come. A few reasons. My hardware works just fine with XP and its fast. So if I want windows 7 I must get a new system. Its not that I'm familiar with XP. Ive been on Vista and W7 computers as well. I know where everything I need is at. (My wife's Labtop is vista) I just like the look and feel of XP. It works Just fine and I do not want to buy a whole new computer just for a new OS.

Micael said:

I think it's a wise decision to move on with cutting off Windows XP, why waste resources on an earlier version of windows when they could be focusing more on present/future releases.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

When the activation process was introduced at the release, I think it was stated that at some point, activation would no longer be required. So then, if in fact it's no longer supported and has reached "EOL", then maybe M$ should let it go altogether, and drop the activation.

That way, all the people that are spouting slogans such as "R.I.P.X.P." can secretly prostitute themselves buy using it because 1; it's a damned good OS, and 2; because it's fun being a hypocrite, as long as you don't get caught.

jazboy said:

I am using Windows 7 from last one year and never had any problem using older hardware. In fact Window 7 recognize hardware in much faster time. if in the cloud any hardware doesn't work then you can go in compatibility mode and run it.

debunker13 said:

Have you ever heard tried installing using compatability mode?

As far as I've found Windows 7 works just fine with older applications. Have you tried installing using compatability mode? If it doesn't work, which for me it usually does, you can always upgrade to Win7 Pro or Enterprise. With these editions of Windows 7 you have Microsoft Virtual PC which allows you to use Windows XP Mode, a Virtual Machine in which you can install all your applications and even access them through Windows 7.

If you are attending college or university and you qualify go to the first link for the Ultimate Steal. If you don't qualify want to get a great deal on all sorts of Microsoft products buy a technet subscription (the basic subscription gives you 10 Win7 Pro keys). Their disclaimer is that the software is licensed for evaluation purposes only---not for use in production environments.

[link]

[link]

For a full listing of technet products visit:

[link]