Razer intros Anansi MMO gaming keyboard

By on October 26, 2010, 6:55 PM
Razer has unveiled the perfect companion for its 17-button Naga mouse: a keyboard tailored for MMO gamers. The Anansi has 100 programmable keys with support for on-the-fly macro recording and it can store up to 20 profiles. Additionally, it has seven thumb modifier buttons below the space bar, providing a seemingly infinite number of options.

The Anansi looks similar Razer's BlackWidow Ultimate keyboard, though it doesn't have mechanical switches. Common features include five gaming macro keys on the left, while controls for media, lighting and gaming mode (deactivates the Windows key) are placed on the function keys. The Anansi also sports backlit keys, except it has multi-color LEDs.

Razer has priced its latest offering at $100/100 and it's expected to ship worldwide in December -- the same general timeframe as the company's BlackWidow and StarCraft II keyboards. Preorders aren't open just yet, but they ought to be "soon" according to Razer.

poertner_1274 poertner_1274, secroF laicepS topShceT, said:

I never have understood the need for fancy keyboards/mice to play games. I guess I'm just old fashioned and haven't been playing much during this new 'trend'.

However there has to be some type of market for it, since I hear about it all the time.

jetkami said:

I have the G15 and the best thing I like about it is back lit keys and clock on display. Other than that I am the proud owner of a $100 keyboard.

treeski treeski said:

Can anyone comment on the current state of Razer's software? I remember it being quite horrid...

motrin said:

i agree with poertner_1274.

But i don't think these keyboards automatically make you a great gamer.

i have a friend that is a savage on counter strike. he can play on any pc any where and will own what ever map he happens to be playing in.

Flannelwarrior said:

I didn't realize how wonderful gaming mice were til I got one, so maybe it's the same case with keyboards. But right now I can't imagine a keyboard making me $100 happy, especially a non-mechanical keyboard. But then again, on my meager salary and with my massive student debt, $100 means a lot more to me than it does to people who don't live below the poverty line.

I do love the LED backlit keys though. Before I got a laptop with backlit keys, I could never use the computer in the dark because it drives me crazy to not be able to see the keyboard with my peripheral vision.

raclimja said:

this so called "gaming keyboard" are all piece of junk

they use rubber dome which feels cheap to type with

if want to get a decent gaming keyboard,

get a mechanical keyboard, preferably (Brown MX Switch) "Majestouch Tactile Touch NKRO"

scout2of3 said:

I wouldn't pay that much for a keyboard. I currently use the Zboard Merc which I feel is ideal for gaming. It has a normal keyboard and then to the left of the keyboard are your gaming keys setup perfectly for my hand.

Regenweald said:

If i were goin high end, Steel Series for me. Practically speaking, Microsoft wireless desktop 5000 is in my future ( love that blue track technology)

pTk said:

The keyboard doesn't really matter I suppose but in the era of First Person Shooters it was a necessity to have a good mouse because you need the precision and accuracy.

oasis789 said:

eventually everything will be touchscreen, and how will we do hotkeys?

ruzveh said:

Somehow i dont prefer these fancy keyboards with lights as they are only good for show off. Would like to go for plain simple 52key multimedia keyboard fullsize for flexible typing :)

PanicX PanicX, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

I can't fathom how you'd need so much customizability for a MMO. Like jetkami, I also use a G15 and the best thing about it is the VFD with Ventrilo profile. So while in game, I can see who the douche screaming in vent is and kick them appropriately.

Other than that, I've used the custom keys of this keyboard in several games, but not any MMO.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Newegg is pushing the G15 for about 40 bucks every couple of weeks. I didn't think the little screen would be that useful, but its really good for displaying various bits of system info while playing the game.

vangrat said:

The razor keyboards have always looked so plain and boring to me. Why pump out all the cash for something that has no ..."pop"

HAHHAHA had to say it...god I hate marketing hype.

Nah, razor keyboards are fairly decent gaming peripherals. However, I will stick with my good ol' trusty G15 that has yet to let me down.

T3x said:

To be honest I am not big on the Razor products, because I feel they are over priced, though I will say it does look nice.

crazyboy88 said:

motrin said:

i agree with poertner_1274.

But i don't think these keyboards automatically make you a great gamer.

MMORPG is different from FPS... it's like comparing baseball to cricket.

MMORPG requires a lot of button pressing, like combos and keyboards that offer multiple profile and macro keys make life easier for the players. Those specific features are totally useless for FPS players

starfreezer said:

Fact is that MMO's are awesome money makers and there are millions of players out there. Including myself. The target group might be small for a keyboard such as this, but with so many players it might still very well be a good business for the keyboard manufacturers and they want a piece of the pie. I for one totally understand why they are making it... whether or not I will buy one is a totally different story

Brodieeee said:

I play MMO's but i've never understood the need for the extra profiles etc.. but still, i love the look of this keyboard! I think if they use the extra features on the G15 (the display screen) then i would definitley consider putting it on my christmas list

Brodieeee said:

What I meant to say was if they added a display screen hehe :p

fullmetalvegan fullmetalvegan said:

poertner_1274 said:

Gaming keyboards aren't very useful unless you use a lotta macros.

Gaming mouses' are very useful how ever, typically, you can adjust the scroll speed via a button on the mouse making it more convenient to switch how sensitive you want it on the fly, and the fact they carry additional buttons on the side make gaming easier for me.

One less button I need to press on the keyboard, if I can hit 3 buttons with my thumb.

AbsolutGaloot said:

I'm in with the G15 crowd, that little LCD is super awesome. I was incredibly bummed when my 1st gen g15 broke and the replacement ended up being orange, smaller screen(though, same resolution so not *too* bad), and I couldn't flip the screen down. I want to see more gaming keyboards with quality LCD addon options, not lots of buttons that I'll never use anyway.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Mmm I have seen some nice looking Razer keyboards and mouses, saddly this isnt one of them. I'm quite good with my under $40 wireless mouse+keyboard btw.

pirate083 said:

my keyboard cost me $4.5!!!!!...........

Yoda8232 said:

For that price I'd rather have a Logitech G15 that has more useful buttons, a LCD screen for small information, and then the basic stuff you'd see on a real gaming keyboard. Razer is bit overpriced imo, but their mice are nice!

Johny47 said:

I want a gaming keyboard with a nice backlight(even though I've almost learnt to type without looking).

I've been looking at the Logitech G11, the Saitek Eclipse II and the Saitek Cyborg V7 and the Microsoft Sidewinder X4. The G11 looks the best right now because of the price and features.

Anyone have any thoughts please? I like the look of this razer keyboard shown but I don't like the design of the letters.

jizzyburnizzy said:

i was always sketchy about the high end keyboards, i have a G15 and other than the cool looks on the backlight keys I really havent used the macro keys at all. I enjoy razer products but dont see the point in this one. If i were to buy a Razer keyboard it would probably be the Lycosa

frodough said:

i would not mind dropping doughs on a keyboard that actually fits all my needs, i love my MS Ergonomic Natural 4000 it's simple, comfortable, and $30 if not cheaper nowadays. like the article said, this is just another keyboard that tries to milk whatever left in the MMO cow.

63Jax said:

my sidewinder x6 does the job perfectly.

NeoFlux said:

This or Logitech Illuminated Keyboard is my Christmas present to myself

Nexus7Model said:

After owning various Razer products, from headset, soundcard, to mice x2, I'm now steering myself away from their offerings as each in turn have either failed or just become inconsistent over time (buggy) with only low to moderate usage. Anyone else agree? I see a lot of RMA activity in the review on both Amazon and Newegg.

Nexus7Model said:

That is to say, a lot of RMA activity in the reviews at both Amazon and Newegg for Razer product in general compared to their competition.

sMILEY4ever said:

poertner_1274 said:

I agree. I have a normal keyboard and I'm confident skill is more of a factor than mice and kb's when playing games. The market is formed by youngsters/enthusiasts who pay for some bling.

XnaX said:

I've been a Razer fan ever since i got my Mamba, but i don't get their newest products.. It seems they have unpractical designs just to make room for obsolete gimmick features.. I must admit it looks cool when everything's black with blue LED's, though I have the NZXT Hush tower, Razer Mamba on a Razer Sphex, Razer Lycosa and Razer Carcharias, and god it looks good after dark <3

On another note: I once spilt ice tea all over my Lycosa, and after a cleaning it runs like it was new (still does), and my friend did the exact same thing to his G15.. It died..

Razerblade said:

Wow 100 programmable keys! I can barely find use for about 20. I keep thinking about getting a gaming keyboard or atleast one with backlit keys for when I play games in the dark but they all seem to be pretty Expensive!

PanicX PanicX, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

Interesting anecdote. I've got 3 kids and unfortunately spills on my G15 happen, still working fine though. I've popped off some keys and you can see the spill catch tray it has underneath. I doubt I could poor a soda on the keyboard and have it function, but a knocked over cup hasn't been able to do it in. I'd guess your friend had a rather large spill.

xcelofjkl said:

motrin said:

i agree with poertner_1274.

But i don't think these keyboards automatically make you a great gamer.

Man. Those were the days.

But give him a $100 keyboard and he'll be even better!