Mozilla delays Firefox 4 until 2011

By on October 28, 2010, 10:18 AM
Firefox is slipping in its development schedule; Mozilla says it won't be able to release version 4.0 this year, and will have to delay the final version until early next year. "Completing this work is taking longer than initial estimates indicated as we track down regressions and sources of instability," the company said in a statement. "As part of our commitment to beta users, we will not ship software before it is ready."

The new schedule means that Beta 7 has been delayed till early November. Meanwhile, assuming everything goes according to plan, Beta 8 is set for November 12, Beta 9 is expected on November 26, and Beta 10 should arrive on December 10. "The frequent beta releases have been extremely helpful in identifying compatibility issues with existing web content, so we plan on continuing to release beta milestones through the end of December. Our estimate is now that release candidate builds will ship in early 2011, with a final release date close behind. Please note that, as always, this schedule is subject to change based on feedback from users and community members."

Firefox 4 was originally supposed to be released in June, but Mozilla keeps making changes to the browser. Currently, Firefox 4 is at Beta 6. Many believe version 4.0 is the only thing that can save the browser from a stagnating market share.

pyari said:

the latest stable v is also crashing time to time, I think they gets the crashing log form the user so they try to fixed the bugs....those are the reference for the developer. I never use beta v so I don't say about it....but definitely they are making excellent browser to capture the market.

TeamworkGuy2 said:

You can not expect Mozilla to be perfectly on schedule, especially since they are "not for profit".

Almost all the computers at my house use Firefox and everyone seems to like it (one or two have gone to Google Chrome).

I have not tried any of the betas releases yet, but I might...

Recycle said:

I'm definitely looking forward to 4 so that's a bit of a shame, maybe I'll give the betas another spin and see if more of my addons are compatible now.

trparky said:

What instability? I use Firefox 4.0 Beta 6 full time as my main browser (I'm brave) and I have no such issues. It's far more stable than 3.6 is.

Recipe7 Recipe7 said:

Just as long as this doesn't turn into a 'Gran Turismo 5' type of delay, then I have no problem with it, I know Mozilla has a good reason for their postponement.

customcarvin customcarvin said:

I have not tried any of the betas releases yet, but I might...

Just because you don't pay anything to download the browser, doesn't mean that they don't make profit... In fact Mozilla makes plenty of profit... http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10102297-92.html --And this was written in 2008 (most recent i could find, from a reliable source), I'm sure it's gone up since then!

I don't mind the delay, simply because I know we're not going to receive a mickey-moused browser full of holes & instability; they're taking the time to do things right, and imo that's always a good thing.

omega00 said:

I was a Firefox user for many years until I tried Google Chrome this year. I'm using an 8 year old computer so I'm always looking for ways to speed up my internet experience. Google Chrome is so much faster than Firefox on my old computer. It was a difficult decision to switch but after many months of using Chrome, I'm happy I switched. I might switch back to Firefox after trying out version 4.0, but the odds are slim. I'm very happy using Chrome now. Time is money... Firefox was sitting on its laurels for too long.

Decimae said:

customcarvin said:

I have not tried any of the betas releases yet, but I might...

He wasn't saying Mozilla is a nonprofit, just that Mozilla's focus wasn't profit(not even close).

It's a shame though; I really like FF(mainly because of the customizability); however Mozilla can't help it.

customcarvin customcarvin said:

I like Chrome too, and it does seem a little bit more responsive, but one thing is undeniable, it's a memory HOG! vs Firefox it typically uses more than double the memory, and for an old computer with a small amount of RAM, one might experience a bunch of thrashing! Proof: [link]

I'll stick with Firefox for my old PC's thank you. -Not to mention all the add-ons that Firefox has vs Chrome, at this stage anyway.

Rod2709 said:

Im using the beta and it works fine, much faster than the 3.6 and for compatibility. nothing so far, everything looks and work Awesome!!

customcarvin customcarvin said:

I guess i didn't get that, sorry. But, that's only the image they portray, just like any other business organization, you know money is a big factor, especially when it's a large amount such as in this situation. If IE9 takes back market share I doubt Mozilla will be like "that's okay guy's, we're doing it for the community, we're not trying to be #1, we're just trying to have a good game." That's just my cynical opinion though. :-/

frodough said:

speed is the number 1 aspect i look for in a browser so Chrome has won me over this year with its extensions and other neat features. i sincerely hope FF makes a comeback with improvement on speed, the current FF still felt heavy (loading tons of stuffs) and i have to say i do love the layout on Chrome everything just seems easier and speedier.

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

This saddens me a little been waiting on version 4 for a while but ill continue to use firefox no matter the version its been the best browser I've used period.

mikeusru said:

Chrome definitely won me over as well, at least on my low-end work laptop. Runs way quicker in ubuntu! If firefox wants to keep up, it will have to at least have a faster mode. All the plugins and buttons are nice when you're a big screen desktop, but users are going mobile, and firefox is behind. Speaking of which, what ever happened to fennec?

DryIce said:

Too bad. I haven't been downloading the betas; thought I would just wait for the release version. Might have to change my mind.

Xero07 said:

Looks like a lot more beta versions are coming too. Kinda wondering what they are working on. I may switch over before the full release though last time i checked a number of my add-ons weren't compatible yet.

madboyv1, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If only more software/game companies followed through with such a commitment. lol

sMILEY4ever said:

I'm glad they're not realeasing a buggy ff 4. That would SUCK, as most hurried products do.

uttaradhaka said:

Personally, I think this is the right move. Because firefox is used by so many users across the world, it has to be stable when it is released. So, waiting two extra months will be worth it. Hope they manage to make the interface a bit faster though, compared to Chrome, it still feels slow..

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Make perfect sense, but I think there are as many issues / stories as there are users out there who are trying betas. I've used all betas and FF4B6 + IE9B1 are my main browsers, I have few issues with FF4Bs, but luckily and remarkably both these are holding out reasonably and I do use browsers for about half the time each working day. I'd say 'better late, secure, and stable' ... good luck to Mozilla.

ChrisG683 said:

I really wish they'd get beta 7 out soon. The nightlies are pretty solid, and much improved over beta 6. Mozilla needs all the free good PR they can get.

63Jax said:

the most exciting thing for me is gpu acceleration on a web browser

tacobfm said:

Well its back to chrome for me. The lack of plugins on Firefox beta bores me :|

Jibberish18 said:

I KNEW IT! I kept thinking for the last few weeks that it's probably going to be delayed since I hadn't seen any new Betas and today it has been confirmed. This really sucks. I really like Firefox as a browser and it's still my main browser but it is showing signs of its age. I have a 2.0 Ghz Macbook with a Merom .65 nm Core2Duo and it's showing signs of its age as well. The fact that it has a piss poor GPU doesn't help things. I downloaded Chrome and although it's FAST, it is no where near as stable as Firefox. I know theres always Opera but something about Opera always keeps me from liking it. Too complicated.

VitaminC said:

I don't mind them being off schedule, as long as their product makes greater leaps in speed and responsiveness. Yeah i know chrome "feels" faster in many case, but for me...that's enough. Im at the point where i use chrome to enjoy the web and fox to use plugins like zotero...for work.

Jibberish18 said:

vitaminc said:

That's exactly what I do. Chrome for laid back browsing. Firefox for pron. LOL

Serag said:

Finally, a company decides to release a software After it's finished!

/s

seriously though, I'd wait more if that means more polishing especially for responsiveness, though nightlies have been doing great for me so far.

SSaywell said:

I used to use Firefox but the constant crashing was to annoying so I switch back to IE8, wasn't as bad as people make out, I now have the IE9 beta, very impressed .

Eddo22 said:

It will be interesting to what how it turns out. Up until now firefox hasn't been on my top browser list.

topcoach said:

I switched to Chrome a few months ago, and I like it a lot more. I'll try Firefox again when release 4 comes out.

edzz111 said:

DUKE FIREFOX 4ever

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

DUKE FIREFOX 4ever

lol lets hope it doesn't take 12 years for this release lol

tonylukac said:

I like Firefox for its lack of activex and its adblock plus addon, eliminating spyware from downloading. I scan my computers for spyware, but never find anything. Abp only works with beta 1, altho you can have all betas on your computer simultaneously. I visit varied websites and never get the adware.

Cryptopsy said:

I think they must work on the memory resources it uses. Firefox is quiet stable and reliable but it is using way too much memory by adding a few addons. My firefox used to take 1.5gb of ram while Im at work :| with all those addon (pretty usefull tho)

ruzveh said:

Pretty comfortable with ff3.0. may not upgrade to 4

peteyhawkins said:

Recently moved from firefox 3.6 to safari as my main browser because firefox is quite buggy at times, but I have to say really looking forward for v4 and I don't mind that it's delayed as it means there is more work being put into it.

subglo said:

Good luck with the forward coming versions.. ;)

I was using FireFox as main browser until Google released Chrome. I'm not saying that FireFox is bad, NO, it's good, but Chrome is better.. there 's something that draws attention in it :)

Puiu Puiu said:

They need to speed things up if they don't want to start loosing against other browsers like Chrome, Opera or even IE9.

kazarm said:

I will make the shift to firefox 4 when all my add-ons is compatible with it

0192837465 0192837465 said:

Oh no I'm waiting it since beta 1, and I tried on of the beta versions it's awesome and the most amazing thing in it beside the new menu the GPU acceleration it's a different feeling of videos and flashes.

kaonis92 said:

At least I hope they'll make something good out of those delays. We will see soon(?).

raybay said:

Good for Firefox. Anybody who works on a lot of computers will tell you that 4.0 does not work as well as 3.6.12, and 4.0 has some major quirks... It is simply not ready for prime time, based on our experience... It may be faster on a few aspects of operation, but over all, it is slow, ans stops or freezes way too often.

Oh look what the Google fairy left under our pillows! It's so gratifying to not focus on profit... and very lucrative too. Did we mention that we're not in any way focused on profit and that we do this purely out of the goodness of our hearts... for the common good of course.