WOF: How much time do you spend playing games?

By on October 30, 2010, 6:26 AM
Weekend Open Forum Microsoft recently revealed that over 25 million gamers spend more than 1 billion hours on Xbox Live each month playing games, watching videos, and listening to music.

Do the math and on average Xbox users are spending over 30 hours per month using the console. That's an impressive figure, though of course not all of that time is devoted to playing games, in fact I believe Microsoft is more interested in highlighting how its entertainment platform has grown beyond games and is being used more extensively to communicate with friends and play media.

But let's focus on the gaming side of things for a second. It's not hard to guess that if you visit TechSpot and are reading this, odds are you are a gamer, even if you don't have enough time in your hands at this very moment, you do play games on occasion.

In my case, depending on how busy I am, it can be weeks and I won't touch a single game, but then there are periods when I'll get pretty hooked up and will make time to dedicate to a worthwhile title. It's not often that you come across a WoW-class of addicting game -- I'm looking at you StarCraft II -- though for me it could be anything as long as it's really good, from first person shooters to real time strategy games, and when playing with friends, think Super Mario Wii, Rock Band or Pro Evolution Soccer.

Unfortunately I've had little time to spare recently, so I've been missing most of the latest titles and when playing something I've simply recurred to the games I've owned for a while. All in all, I've likely spent no more than 5 hours playing in the last month, though you could say I'm making time for when Crysis 2 and Duke Nukem Forever (*ouch) are released.

How about yourself? How much time do you usually dedicate to play games in your computer, console or even smartphone? Discuss.

onzfeat said:

Nowadays 0 hours/week, 2 years ago 72 hour/week playing DotA...

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

About 8-10 hours atm. But that may change depending several things which may come up soon, resulting much less free time . Anyway, mostly I play TF2 / Q3-4 / or EEII.

SilverCider said:

Probably average around 5 hrs/week. I don't get much time because I've got a lot of uni work, so I end up jumping into random online fps' like the insurgency mod for hl2. I've got an ongoing save on Mass Effect which I'd really like to finish but again time is against me

spikester48661 spikester48661 said:

3 to 6 hours a week if I get the time.

ZipZpZowie said:

It's tough finding time nowadays, but I'd say I probably average 5-15 hours a week

ryan29121 said:

Depends on my work load, but probably 6-14 hours per week. The games I am playing now are Assassins Creed II and minecraft

Today i probably game as much as the average Belgian about 2 to 3 hours a day

JMMD JMMD, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

A lot, but only because I play World of Warcraft. Some day I'll add up all my time /played to see how much time I've spent but per week I would imagine it's about 20-30 hrs.

Superpeter Superpeter said:

I believe i average about 4hrs a day

Depends whether there's any new games out that week or not. If there is then I'd say at least 20-25 hours a week.

speeedy6 said:

Anywhere from 3-15 hours a week depending on several factors. I'm the type to play a few games for a long time rather than tons of games for short periods of time. My top game now is still Bad Company 2 and waiting on GT5 (damn delays).

63Jax said:

1-2 hours every day, especially when i'm running from my girlfriend.

fritz123 said:

the main factor is the game i play. like when i play civilization, most of the time i finish the game in one sitting (like 6-7 hours per game). and i do that like once a week. playing fps games are different entirely since i only take like 2-3 hours tops. before i play like 10 hours a week, but now, because of school and work, i only play like 5 hours per week.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Not nearly enough anymore, maybe 1-2 hours a week.

BlindObject said:

I play so much Halo: Reach that it's unhealthy. My computer hasn't played a game since then. Playing about 5-8 hours a day. -_-

miggypublic said:

5 hours a week on the average. but if you have friends over, well it's a different story!

TitoBXNY TitoBXNY said:

Before I lost my job at Universal I played 3 hrs a day. When I lost my job I became a full time citizen of Northtrend and played 9-10 hrs a day. I was my get away from real life. I quit cold turkey in June and went back to work. I am down to a few hrs a week now depending on my work schedule.

shortie said:

Hmmmm per week ? i guess like 35 or so

Technochicken Technochicken, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I probably average around an hour a week. I simply don't have the time to do everything I would like to, and playing video games is lower on my priority list than other free time activities.

g4mer said:

I play games 85% of the time when my PC is on.

6 hours a day

Johny47 said:

g4mer said:

I play games 85% of the time when my PC is on.

That's about right haha =P

But honestly whenever I feel like playing I play, and I don't stick to one game I just play whatever I feel like playing... 'where ever the feeling takes me' as the say =)

I'm in college and I don't get any homework(I'm very grateful =D) so usually about 3 or 4 hours when I come home, bit more on weekends.

techgeek1 said:

I don't play any one game, it's whatever i'm in the mood to play! :P

Though I usually play about 2-5 hours a day. but it depends on my schedule for that day.

thedrelle said:

probably around 6-12 hours a week, it fluctuates depending on mood and how work was that day..

Afroaggie said:

I would have to say I play a good 15 hours a week but that is down from about 30, I just got married lol.

UT66 said:

i haven't gamed in months, this week im going to change that. ( i think)

Ahmed90 Ahmed90 said:

hmm like 5 to 8 hours a day lol xD

ColdFusion1990 ColdFusion1990 said:

I normally play a multiplayer game for two hours, after which I start to get bored. A single player game I'll play for quite a while, and I'll almost always only stop playing when there's a good break in story or action.

Alster37 Alster37 said:

well when I was absorbed in dragonage and had a week off occasionally I would be doing about 56hours and Im not joking. but those days are gone and Im always busy so id say 25 hours a week.

whiteandnerdy said:

6hrs a week. during the summer when i wasn't in school i would say 6 hrs a day.

hitech0101 said:

I did not count but i did play a lot of games about a year back & now i am suffering for playing them.Now i play occasionally only when i have vacations.

Faller said:

probably 20 hours a week but just became employed yesterday so probably down to 5.

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

The past few weeks my average time has gone down from about 18 hours a week to 5-7. The upside is I have helped out friends with computer problems and have a couple more girls digits :P

EXCellR8 EXCellR8, The Conservative, said:

maybe 3-5hrs a day if i'm not working. sometime i'll stay up until the morning hours since it's the only time i get to myself. when i was 13-15 years old i could easily play all day, but i can't do that anymore. after a few hours i will typically get a headache or lose interest, probably due to overplaying at a young age.

customcarvin customcarvin said:

I wish i could play 10+ hrs a week, but the sad truth is I'll probably play ~5 hrs a month. Kinda hard to make time for games when i work 45+hrs a week, take night classes towards my degree, and spend time with the fam. ...Oh, and as of late, participate in TechSpot forums to win sweet prizes!! (^_^)

sMILEY4ever said:

On days I have nothing to do 5 hours+ a day.

blimp01 said:

3 hours weekdays and on saturdays i get like 6 or 7 haha

n00bzZy said:

When I got the time, probably over 5 hours a day. But 90% of the time I'm busy with other things these days, so some days I don't have time to play at all, most of the time it's around a couple of hours a day.

If I could, I'd probably play even 5-10 hours a day, can never get tired of the PC

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

lets see right now i play about 18 hours a week mostly BC2 and a few other games but sometimes its less time.

tflazio said:

not even once for past 3 months. life sucks at uni. even this weekend i must do my programming assignment

lipe123 said:

Got to love steam,

29.8 hrs past 2 weeks all spent on call of duty mw2. As soon as black ops launch that number will be much higher, I cant wait until we are done with the lag and hacking fest going on in mw2.

Long ago I owned a computer store/internet cafe, I played at least 6h a day back then - good ol times.

Colonel Lance said:

I play quite a bit a week, I think around 30 hours a week. It depends on my school schedule, I get spurts of game time and spurts of homework only time.

mkillor said:

Roughly 15 hours per week. In the college days about 6 hours per day HALO networking through the dorm rooms using XLINK KAI!!

Se7enVII said:

During my hardcore gaming years I was playing 40 hours a week on CS1.6 but now I barely play at all. Maybe 5-10 hours a week?

freedomthinker said:

Who ******* needs games , when you have music ;]

Ranger12 Ranger12 said:

Used to be 15-20 hours a week when I was in highschool...sigh, those were the days....

Now that I'm in college though it's practically 0 hours a week. Unless it's summertime, then it's more like 8-10 hours a week.

pyari said:

I love to play games but I don't have console or high class computer....sometime I play games, I don't have recent games but have black hawk down, midtown madness, halo, delta force. The most recent games I played is crysis when I visit to my frens house. that was awesome game. after that I'm fan of the modern game...but what can I do? I'm not hopeless someday I can have it?

Arkrothe said:

3-5 hours everyday, playing either NFS most wanted or Counter Strike on lan with my roommates or League of legends.

danteoz said:

Lately not so much but I have been known to play for 10-20 hours a week.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Gaming is one of my primary forms of personal entertainment. I'd say 15-20 hours a week is typical for me. But not unusual to put in an 8-hour stint on a weekend day.