Google-branded Chrome OS smartbook coming in November?

By on November 2, 2010, 10:30 AM
We have heard rumors about Chrome OS smartbooks from Acer and HP, and even a tablet variant from HTC, but it looks like Google will be the one getting things started for the web-centric operating system. According to DigiTimes’ “sources from component players,” the Internet giant is set to launch an own-brand smartbook this month running the new Chrome OS. The ARM-based smartbook is allegedly being built by Inventec and will not be selling through retail channels.

The approach is not unlike the one Google took with their Nexus One -- move forward development of smartphone hardware to match the needs and capabilities of Android. In July, Google CEO Eric Schmidt characterized the strategy as a success saying the Nexus One was so good in accomplishing this that they won't have to do a second one, but back then he also rejected the idea of developing a Google-branded Chrome OS netbook.

If DigiTimes’ sources are right, Google will have 60,000 to 70,000 units ready for the initial launch run while Acer and HP will follow soon in December “at the earliest” with their own Chrome OS-equipped smartbook models. Asus on the other hand is apparently not committing to anything until they have seen how successful the new platform is.

taea00 said:

If played correctly this could pan out similar to the Iphone vs Android situation. Apple will still lead in actual Ipads, but Chrome OS will lead in the OS section.

I've had a love/hate relationship with Chrome OS. I was excited when I learned Chrome was going to be creating a linux OS. Then I was heart broken when I found out it was a gimped Linux OS and everything was running in the cloud. I'm excited again though, because this is exactly the type of platform that Chrome OS can shine in. This is what it's created for and I think it can do very well, assuming the marketing and hardware is there to back it up.

hassaan said:

Not interested unless Google have changed the idea of Chrome OS from a 'browser OS' to 'Netbook Optimized Android Version'. My 2 cents.

thedrelle said:

Sometimes i wonder if i should despise Google for being the techzilla giant they are, but i cant seem to bring myself to do so.

I cant wait to try the chrome OS out, I have high expectations of google products, and they havent failed me yet,

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Why not? I'm more surprised when Google doesn't have their fingers in some tech pie. In fact, I've been wondering when they're going to release their first game...

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Google is probably beyond ambitious here, and trying to punch above their weight by launching a cooked up browser arrr I mean OS . Anyway, I think we live in interesting times, at least things will start to move in the right direction in the OS arena, as more innovative and competitive approaches will be applied to stay relevant and obviously ahead of the pack by all the major players.

poertner_1274 poertner_1274, secroF laicepS topShceT, said:

Funny that Asus isn't jumping on the bandwagon until they see results. I guess this could be a smart play to eliminate some financial risk, but they could also be missing out on a BIG piece of marketshare pie.

I'm looking forward to this.

bakape said:

From what I can tell from Hexxeh's vanilla builds, it is definitely going to fill a niche, one I'm very interested in

MervynBrittan said:

Google is trying to beat apple lets see what happens

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Well played by Asus, to be honest.

Chrome OS seems such an ambitious idea I sometimes can't help but wonder if it will actually fail or succeed. It is understood, of course, that the OS is directed to a specific niche market; but to me it seems so tricky to pull off, I don't blame Asus for playing it safe.

Even though I know Chrome OS is based on Linux, I just hope that Google developers don't partake in the "we are incredibly different and won't try to be the same way" mentality most Linux distros developers have towards Windows' way of being productive and easy to use out of the box.

So whenever a Linux distro is released, and I can install it on my girlfriend's computer without her having to call me because she can't install a program, or having to install Wine. Call me.

If Chrome OS takes a different route from Windows, but still maintains a certain amount of compatibility and interface familiarity, then let's do it.

If not, then this will be Google's equivalent of Kin to the masses.

bakape said:

Well played by Asus, to be honest.

If not, then this will be Google's equivalent of Kin to the masses.

It's not a full-blown OS, so it is in fact very different from Windows or mainstream Linux distros. Obviously except for the browser part...oh wait, Chrome OS is a browser, so it won't be much more of a challenge than switching from IE to FF.

For anyone still confused about this, grab a 300MB build from here: http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/

Or a more bleeding edge version, once it is built and the server is up, here:

gLitCh32 said:

I really like the Chrome browser, but I just can't see using it as an OS. Maybe they've added more to it since I tried it, which was quite a while ago. Overall, I'm curious, but not too excited yet.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

bakape said:

Well played by Asus, to be honest.

If not, then this will be Google's equivalent of Kin to the masses.

Or a more bleeding edge version, once it is built and the server is up, here:

As I clearly stated, I know it's directed toward a specific niche market (the netbook, internet-focused market). And I'm not discussing its components, I'm talking about the mentality behind the Google developers, which is what reflects not what the OS is, but what it will strive to become.

As long as they remain dissimilar to Windows, but still keep the same type of "user-friendliness", and general easy of use, it will be a success. Contrary to, if, for example, to install a printer or a router you to need to browse through forums, ask around, and finally download a .tar.bz2 file that then you need to compile, it will certainly be a failure in the mainstream. Things like that are incredibly crucial to the success of Chrome OS, mainly due to the fact that the niche market the OS is targeting, is a much much less savvy market than the desktop market, as they only need their OS to simply work, and fast.

frodough said:

please! somebody put up a fight w/ ipad already

princeton princeton said:

Well since google is sueing the government for not considering google products, will they sue me if I don't consider their google smartbook :P

sMILEY4ever said:

Their OS is going to be just another distro imo.

peterbezemer said:

I don't see the point of chrome OS, for tablets we have android, for netbooks we have win7 / linux

akannitaoheed said:

I guess the term "browser o/s" will mean that the o/s is more web oriented than anything else. If that's the case I dont think there will be much to expect in the area of graphics especially for the xtreme gamers. Not so good!

pacostrano said:

I think that OS will be a good competitor for tablets.

HaMsTeYr HaMsTeYr said:

Hmm I think this is an interesting field to expand in. Rather than tablets. I think a smart book would be interesting. Especially with cloud computing, this could work out quite well for people who want synchronized software and settings across their multiple workstations.

Looking forward to its debut

IAMTHESTIG said:

interesting.. but it better be very, very cheap... Considering this will probably only work for internet and nothing else.

ruzveh said:

I cant say how useful this cloud computing will be until or unless i get my hands on it. But it would be good to know Android OS coming to desktops

hitech0101 said:

Google smartbooks will be interesting. Will to have to wait to see how they are different & what features they have.

dlen said:

Google netbooks might be a fresh new technology in WinXP/7 market. I am afraid that it will be popular till the first privacy break when user data will leak to public. Cloud computing is good in general but I don't want to share all my private docs, pics and family videos with google admins.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I don't think you can ever 'create a completely secured/guaranteed secured' IT solution, it is just not possible; hence, I never bothered with any social networking or similar sites.

kaonis92 said:

I think google employees are clever enough to understand that chrome os as a browser based os is most likely to fail, even if it's backed by a company like google!

Puiu Puiu said:

i'm most certainly not going to buy it.

aj_the_kidd said:

if the price is reasonable i'll consider it, it'll be a nice new toy

xcelofjkl said:

Google invading the OS and notebook departments? I'll have to see how this plays out... though I kinda foresee they'll fail. Maybe.. OS's and Notebooks now, tomorrow, the world?