HP adds budget-conscious G62m, dv7t notebooks

By on November 3, 2010, 6:37 PM
HP has added two new laptops to its online store -- the G62m, which is intended for basic use, and the multimedia-oriented dv7t. For $530, new G series notebook offers a 15.6-inch 1366x768 display, 2.2GHz Intel Celeron 900 single-core processor, Intel GMA 4500M integrated graphics, 3GB of DDR3 RAM, a 320GB hard drive, a DVD burner, and Windows 7 Home Premium x64. You can also opt for a dual-core T3300 or T3500 Celeron, 4GB of RAM, a 500GB HDD, and an optical drive with LightScribe support.

Meanwhile, the 17.3-inch dv7t starts at $800 and comes with a 1600x900 display, an Intel Core i3-380M processor and integrated graphics, 4GB of memory, a 500GB 7200RPM hard drive, a DVD drive, and Windows 7 Home Premium. For some extra cash, HP allows you to configure the machine with a range of Core i3, i5 and i7 chips, up to 8GB of RAM, an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 or 5650, dual 1TB HDDs or a 160GB SSD, a Blu-ray drive, Bluetooth connectivity, as well as Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate.

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Nice laptop with nice specs but id rather not have a laptop with a celeron cpu this is 2010 not 2006 when the celeron basically died. If i buy a newer laptop anytime soon im getting one with a nice amd or intel cpu my current laptop that i bought for $150 used has a duel core core 2 duo clocked at 2.2Ghz amd 4Gb of 800Mhz DDR2 and a 320Gb hard drive id have to say that my $150 laptop is better than this one IMO.

EDO219 said:

Yikes ... this actually seems over-priced, in my opinion. The default processor is a single core and the integrated graphics chip is one of the worst still being sold in mid-sized laptops. o_o

---agissi--- ---agissi---, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I could have bought a Core i3 /w 4GB of RAM, built in MIC and Webcam, 7200rpm 320gb hdd Gxx laptop for $510 + $20 shipping the other day. So I dont know why theyre offering a Celeron for more. A computer customer of mine just picked up a Celeron 2.20 Acer laptop from Walmart for $350 on sale, and this week or so it was reported on Techspot that you can pick up Celeron 2.20 Compaq's for $288. These are 15.6" laptops too.

rizalp said:

---agissi--- said:

Maybe HP got something, better battery life, great casing material, or great speaker?

Uvindu said:

rizalp said:

HP Pavillion is an entertainment notebook series. I have a dv7 with great speakers and I'm sure that this one has one as well. My Laptop even has a subwoofer on the underside to enhance the audio experience. My Notebook is a dv7-2150ei. It has a 2.1Ghz Core 2 Dua, 3GB RAM, ATI 5430 512MB Graphics, Full Keyboard with Number Pad, DVD Lightscribe drive, Wifi + Bluetooth, Media Center Remote, 2 Head phone (out) ports and one microphone port, and a camera and built-in-microphone.

It is a great laptop, especailly for media related uses. The laptops in the article may seem over priced but they probably have some good media capability.

---agissi--- ---agissi---, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I know of about 20 DV7000s that have failed because the motherboards fail consistently. And I have a broken HP zd7000 right next to my foot as we speak. $200 off craigslist and one day later it finds the F key is stuck with or without keyboard(s).

EDO219 said:

The build quality of HPs are almost as bad as e-machines, these days.

motrin said:

drop $100 and its a good deal. IMO

hitech0101 said:

This is a budget conscious notebook don't believe so there are other good notebooks which are far more cheaper than this this seems to pack a lot of features for the budget type.